A / V, "Entertainment" Computer?
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
Out paleolithic Dell desktop just burped up the "Blue Screen of Death" (hardware, I did the diagnostics) so it will need replaced.  I was thinking of replacing it with an "entertainment" computer and puting it in the stereo cabinet rather than on the desk top.  I've been away from HeadFi for a while so I'm out of the loop,   So: 

Question: what's a good "bare bones-ish" computer with a small energy signature and a cabinet that will fit on a stereo rack and have enough expandability to accept a video card w/HDMI out?  I'll be running the audio through a squeezebox so other than onboard sound, I'm good.  I have plenty O'hard drives (it always seems that the MoBo goes for me) and DVD drives too. We'll be using the TV as a monitor and have a wireless keyboard.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 8
My sympathies! I too am seeking a good small form factor desktop (remember those?!) to slot into my home cinema rack. Im after one with low PSU noise and decent AV performance. Im suspecting Ill end up with a Dell or HP but we will see.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh yeah...a fast-ish processor would be cool too.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 8
What about the Foxconn NTA350?  Any other suggestions?

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Wow...that looks great...and I already have the box and drives.
Quote:
This was my suggestion to someone with NewEgg USA access starting from scratch (HTPC + 3D Blu Ray disc playback with DVR function down the road)

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 8
If you can really go full-custom on it, there's a way to cram a stand-alone video card into a slim case - something like the small form factor/slim Alienware. That way you can add an AMD HD6xxxx to that A8 Trinity; you just need it to be well ventilated or use a chassis that's out of mostly aluminum (like that Silverstone there).

I'm planning a fully custom PC but nothing's definite. Mostly when I set-up my HT room and IF my Llano A8 laptop proves inadequate for playing Rome II Total War on a 32" screen. Used to be I was soooo happy about APUs but given the extreme graphics on the Rome II preview I'm thinking I'll need more graphics processing for it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Wow...that looks great...and I already have the box and drives.

Yep u are welcomed and ya remove any stuff on list if u have some hardware on hand
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back