A truly audiophile laptop/tablet hybrid - would you be interested?
May 16, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 23
Great! I transfered that to the team, let's see what they have to say :) I didn't know about the charging problem, but it could probably be solved by isolating the DAC's power input from the charging port or by including a separate voltage regulator for it.
I really understand the frustration of low output, even at max settings some devices are bately audible, especially with harder to drive headphones. Do you think we should have an amplifier that can drive 100+ ohm headphones, or would that be overkill? Also, wouldn't that reduce the quality with lower impedance headphones?
And don't worry about the DAC itself - Eve said they will use one of the top-tier chips from Cirrus Logic, so there's little to be afraid of. Although I don't understand what you meant by roll off - maybe I'm just too noob for this :$

But thank you for your input. Also feel free to join the community and have your voice heard in all aspects of the device. And to get notified in the first place when preorders begin :)

I would say 100 ohm should be the absolute limit, as making a more powerful amp will lead to issues depending on topology used, at the very least as you said making iems hard to find a good volume for or raising the noise floor too far.

People running big power hungry cans will likely already have a portable amp already that costs many times the sound budget of a tablet.

Roll off refers to the frequency response graph. Many cheap one chip solutions (at least have in the past) have roll-off in the audible spectrum, so you lose bass quantity and quality. Then a poor amplifier that can't drive your headphones anyway tries to push that to your drivers and you lose even more bass quantity/quality. These are easy to remedy as long as you are looking for them though.

And yeah as far as power, a simple filter of whatever method is cheapest should fix the power ruining sound issue. It's fairly well documented but I don't think there is an official name for it

May 17, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #17 of 23
ProtegeManiac, thanks for the reply. Try using uBlock Origin for ad blocking, it's amazing and easy to use :)
Can't wait to see you in the community, please take your time to post an "introduce yourself" thread and guys overthere will guide you through the forums and update you with current development status. Unfortunately that site doesn't work too well outside Europe because the ping goes very high.

yay101, thanks for the info. I think we should focus on a balanced sound. A poll in the community has shown that the majority wants that :) and I guess that would be a "universal" approach that you could pair with any headphones. What do you think?

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 23
Wow I'm impressed, I thought this would still have been in R&D phase, but it looks like the first batch is shipping in a couple weeks! Am currently exploring the site looking for pricing and how long a queue is for an order...

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 23
Wow I'm impressed, I thought this would still have been in R&D phase, but it looks like the first batch is shipping in a couple weeks! Am currently exploring the site looking for pricing and how long a queue is for an order...
Wow this is old :)
The initial shipping estimate was in March, so I wouldn't be so positive about it. After all, this thread is a year old...

Some of the specs were upgraded, and it gotmore expensive (i5 model now costs above $1000, although no exact pricing has been revealed yet). But the thing is, on the sound part it's not that impressive. They use a Realtek DAC, nothing special here, and a Texas Instruments amplifier if I recall correctly. Can't find the exact models though. Anyway, I had a chance to review a prototype, so I tried it out. There was a grounding issue so I heard background hiss all the time, but otherwise it drove my AD900X pretty well. I listened to some orchestral works and I could hear the details, unlike with any other "default" sound card I've tried. It was pretty good. But in less intense cases, such as solo instruments or quintets, the hiss was all over. So I can't give a clear review about it (no pun intended). Not to mention, I'm not a very experienced head-fier. So I'll leave it up to some more experienced people to review it once they get the final device.

Just saying, don't expect anything spectacular, because they had to settle for much lower quality than their initial plans. Something about compatibility with the processor, technical stuff...

As for ordering one right now, you should be able to do so sometime in November. There is a big chance they would sell out fast, so better enter your email at eve-tech.com (click "Eve V" and then "I want one"). That way you'll be reminded a few days before the web store opens.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 23
Huh. Did you give them that feedback? Do you have any reason to believe they would release the product with that issue?

That's been increasingly a problem with my last couple desktops, they sometimes have noise issues, even via my Grace DAC via USB. I was hoping something designed by enthusiasts that consulted audiophile communities would have avoided that issue. My main purpose would be to use for travel, but since I don't travel a lot, also as an alternative source to my desktop to avoid those noise issues.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 23
Huh. Did you give them that feedback? Do you have any reason to believe they would release the product with that issue?

That's been increasingly a problem with my last couple desktops, they sometimes have noise issues, even via my Grace DAC via USB. I was hoping something designed by enthusiasts that consulted audiophile communities would have avoided that issue. My main purpose would be to use for travel, but since I don't travel a lot, also as an alternative source to my desktop to avoid those noise issues.
Oh, don't worry. It was just a prototype, and the issue has been fixed. I reported it and they investigated it, just like many other issues found in prototypes. I only mentioned it here because when I tested it, I couldn't quite get a taste of the real audio performance. This hiss obstructed many details, so I can't tell much about the sound signature. But I have no reason to believe this problem would persist in final units.

If you're experiencing noise even with external DAC, that means it's a software issue. Maybe your recordings are bad, or maybe you have incorrect equalizer settings. Things like virual surround sound can also make it sound worse. Anyway, if I were you, I'd have a long look at the software you're using. Because if you're using a USB DAC, it will sound the way the DAC sounds, and your PC hardware can't influence that.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 23
Actually, it clears up after I reboot the computer. For some reason the HP affects audio performance through the USB when it's been on, sometimes a couple days, sometimes just a few hours, and it's annoying as hell. It has s-tons of RAM and processing power, I think they just are making them with less attention to QC than they used to. The noise is the same no matter what software it's using -- FLAC > Media Monkey, Spotify, YouTube via different browsers. Not sure if my This is why Logitech Media Server was ever affected, as it serves loudspeakers in other rooms and I don't usually use headphones with them, which are more easy to notice distortion with. But this is why I'm considering a separate music server. This expensive hybrid tablet is probably not the way to go, but it would be convenient for other uses.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #23 of 23
Actually, it clears up after I reboot the computer. For some reason the HP affects audio performance through the USB when it's been on, sometimes a couple days, sometimes just a few hours, and it's annoying as hell. It has s-tons of RAM and processing power, I think they just are making them with less attention to QC than they used to. The noise is the same no matter what software it's using -- FLAC > Media Monkey, Spotify, YouTube via different browsers. Not sure if my This is why Logitech Media Server was ever affected, as it serves loudspeakers in other rooms and I don't usually use headphones with them, which are more easy to notice distortion with. But this is why I'm considering a separate music server. This expensive hybrid tablet is probably not the way to go, but it would be convenient for other uses.
As I said, your noise is not a hardware issue, the QC is good. Since I don't have enough information to pinpoint the real problem, the best thing I can suggest is reinstall Windows. You probably have some app or service installed that interferes with the audio stream once it's launched. Reinstalling Windows (and I mean clean install) should fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back