A trip to Computerized Hair Removal Co.
Sep 23, 2002 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I was out of the loop for a few days, mostly thanks to my decision to upgrade my old computer. (was K6-2 300)

I upgraded to:
Athlon XP 1800+
256MB DDR 2700 RAM (runs at 333MHz) (now 512MB; see below)
60GB hard disk
GeForce 4 MX440 64MB DDR

I tried installing windows ME. The computer went down like da bomb.
mad.gif
Hung twice while installing
eek.gif

Took computer back to vendor. Turned out the RAM they used was 'incompatible' with the motherboard.

Took computer back home. (Oof! My father helped with the heavy lifting here and there, and drove the car to and from the shop; he also financed the purchase
biggrin.gif
) Tries installing Windows ME again. Installed fine at the vendor's place, but still some quirks at home. Being that the install disc was of shady origin... (
eek.gif
) I was not surprised. But then I try installing printer drivers for my brother (who urgently wanted to print some posters of his idol Joey Yung
rolleyes.gif
) and nothing would print.

Go back to the other computer (was 'new', now 'old'; Athlon 1133)to print, still doesn't work. (it worked just the day before we upgraded; nothing has changed except its position
confused.gif
)

Father tries running some old statistical software (win 3.1 app) on the now-old computer. It ran on the old old computer, won't run now. We suspect CPU incompatibility
eek.gif

Mum wants to type a Chinese document. We try installing the pen writing interface on the new computer; (Chinese typing is a bear that neither mum nor I have managed) new computer is completely trashed.

Mum says it would just have worked on the old old computer.

Brother complains that he would have printed his poster by now if we hadn't upgraded to this computer.

/Me pulls hair :arrrrgh:
eye.gif
schuss.gif
itschy.gif

I decided it was high time we got some legitimate operating system software. I cudgeled my father into agreeing to buying windows XP. Bought XP and another 256 megs RAM (making sure it's the brand that's compatible with my computer). Installed RAM, installed XP, computer now up and running.

I haven't really solved any problems (XP is now about where ME was at before it hit a brick wall) but for some reason I feel happier now
confused.gif

tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 23, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 2
You feel happier in the same way that you feel happier when you stop hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. You didn't really achieve anything but the pain has mroe or less stopped :)

After a month on the beach in Australia I came home and went through a similar thing with my then-top-of-the-line dual athlon system. I said "*** you!" and bought a Mac. I'm a much calmer person now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back