a treat for the power cord crowd.
Nov 19, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 101
What that review lacks is A-B comparison of cheap fuse, cleaned and Walker SST'd vs. Isoclean Walker SST'd.

I've been cleaning the fuse holders, the cheap fuse, and then applying Walker SST Extreme, and this does make a significant improvement.

I do hear a difference between cheap slow-blo and fast-blo fuses also, so the material/physical aspects of fuse element does make a difference.

But I do believe $25 represents way too much markup and would like to see a mass-market company produce something similar for much less. Just like how Monster got into audiophile power conditioning market.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 101
In the 80's I designed a small line of high quality inwall speakers. With a background in telecomm design I tended toward considerations of long life and serviceability as well as the basic issues.

Even then, fuses were considered sonically unsuitable for series loudspeaker connections. Multiple intermetallic interfaces? Delta R from self-heating? In any event, fuses were not suitable for a maintenance-free system.

I used the (then) Raychem Polyswitch PTC overcurrent thermistors. At that time, with those drivers and crossover components, I could not hear a sonic signature from the Polyswitches. The speakers were a succes d' estime, if marginal at best commercially.

No driver was ever returned because of having been overdriven.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
I'm neutral in the power cord wars, but I don't see how this argument makes sense. If we assume that the solid core wiring in the walls is better, and if what we're really trying to do is reach its level of performance, couldn't "audiophile" power cords just be made out of the same solid core wiring? That stuff is dirt cheap at Home Depot.

I have made DIY cords using 12 AWG solid core Romex that's inside my walls. It actually sounded pretty good, preferable to something like garden-variety 12 AWG stranded copper in PVC dielectric. Many well-designed audiophile cords sound much better than either, though, b/c there's a lot more to power cord sound than the conductor material, such as shielding, mechanical damping, RFI/EMI filtering, geometry, and the connectors.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
But I do believe $25 represents way too much markup and would like to see a mass-market company produce something similar for much less. Just like how Monster got into audiophile power conditioning market.

After reading that, I did a search, and lo and behold Monster does already make gold-plated "audio grade" fuses! At least for car audio anyway:
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3038
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1310
The Monster brand fuses are less than $2 each.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the "magic" here? The gold plated ends? Some new, mystical formula to the matallurgy of the fuse material? What is it that causes such a dramatic improvement that it's worth $25 a fuse? To me it looks like a Radio Shack fuse with gold ends.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Well with all due respect, it will be a subject for debate, IMHO it is the same magic as the one used in those multithousand power cords. I do not believe in power cords neither and for the simple reason that I do not believe that changing the last two meters, (or the two meters in the middle, whatever floats you boat) only, and leaving the rest of the AC line intact, will change anything other than in your head...(It is all in your head!!!! As your column says.....
evil_smiley.gif
and just a joke no offense intended OK, I respect you and your column, just I could resist the similitude....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

How about the rest of the line, are they going to change it, how posibly the last portion (or a central portion) of a cable will impact in the final result, sorry I od not belive that...IMO it is like having an audio cable with one foot of cooper, one foot of silver, and another foot of cooper at the end???? What is the use of silver there???? Same case as the fuse here!!!!

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 101
What gets me is the logical conclusion if you believe in _every_ tweak ever.

So I start from a good source, good amp and good speakers.

What do I do next?

-$100
Replace the interconnects.

WOW! Everything is so much better! That last system sounded like ****!

-$100
Oh, but I forgot the power cord.

-$200
Whoops! Power conditioning!

-$25
Hey, those fuses aren't Audiophile Approved.

etc, etc, etc. The point is that everyone believes their little tweak is the best thing since sliced bread and makes everything better...for one, this means that if you do all the tweaks, you get fifteen zillion quantum leaps in sound quality. The other thing is some of them seem to interfere with each other. All those people who replaced their power cords...did they all replace their fuses too? If not, why isn't there a 'bottleneck' caused by that nasty, non-audiophile grade fuse?

I dunno. Call me a sceptic.

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #23 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
If not, why isn't there a 'bottleneck' caused by that nasty, non-audiophile grade fuse?

That's the general idea of it. Wether that's true or not is a different matter entirely.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
What gets me is the logical conclusion if you believe in _every_ tweak ever.

-$100
Replace the interconnects.

etc, etc, etc. The point is that everyone believes their little tweak is the best thing since sliced bread and makes everything better...

I dunno. Call me a sceptic.

This is my first time to hear of how dumb we are. I didn't realize how bad my system was before.
tongue.gif

The proper use of a skeptics brush involves discretion, not running a paint roller up and down the wall from ceiling to floor.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #26 of 101
When I was into modding out My Dodd monoblock's I looked into these and the monster fuse's. Even my completely non audio friends but that are also technical to the T have said that if a power cord does make a sonic difference then a fuse may also!

I never bought the fuses though...

how and where to I apply My walker sst treatment to my fuses???????? please I love this stuff and would throw it on my fuses rite after I get my answer. thank you

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 101
So the point of this thread is what? That people who believe these fuses change the sound are as stupid as the people who think power cords change the sound? That's a good thread for a forum like this. Let's keep devising threads where the main object is to attempt to humiliate or poke fun at others who just want to enjoy their systems and their music.
rolleyes.gif

If your hobby is trying to feel superior to others or showing you much you know, you are either very young, very immature, or you need a brain tweak.

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
So the point of this thread is what? That people who believe these fuses change the sound are as stupid as the people who think power cords change the sound? That's a good thread for a forum like this. Let's keep devising threads where the main object is to attempt to humiliate or poke fun at others who just want to enjoy their systems and their music.
rolleyes.gif

If your hobby is trying to feel superior to others or showing you much you know, you are either very young, very immature, or you need a brain tweak.

Is that your opinon about the freedom of speech, and about to express your opinions in a free forum, like it or not???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

So what is the meaning of these forums if everybody HAVE TO THINK THE SAME WAY.....???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back