A total newbie needs some help with plug replacement on Sennheiser PX-100
Sep 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

laglac

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I want to replace a broken plug on a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 headphones. A basic pair of headphones I assume, but one has to start somewhere. I've purchased a Neutrik/Rean plug (NYS231BG) which I hope will be suitable.

I've checked guides online and the process doesn't seem to be too difficult (well, I'll have a friend do the soldering). I have, though, one question. When I strip the cable of the outer rubber I get a green wire, a red wire and two copper grounds. The wires (both channel and ground) seem to be intertwined with some sort of soft textile thread/fabric. I've read about inner insulation which ought to be removed; but I'm not sure if this thin thread/fabric counts as insulation or what function it serves. Thus, my question: will I have to try to remove this textile from the (right/left) wires? Or does one just solder them as they are? I mean, they're rather thin as they are.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Ok, thanks. Is it a problem if the wires have colour, i.e. red and green? I read somewhere that it might be problem if the wires are painted - I can't tell if the'yre painted but there's no inner insulation etc indicating colour/channel but just the actual colour of the wires.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 4
Red is usually the right channel, left varies, but it's often white.

It sounds like you have laqcuered wire which is common on cheaper headphone cords, you'll want to just solder the grounds together on the sleeve, and double check, but left is usually tip and right is ring.

The fiber is to help round out the cable, it'll melt down when soldered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back