A technical question about memory foam for IEM eartips
Mar 31, 2020 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zero7404

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a set of Shure SE215's. I am living with using the foam ear tips that came with it, after trying out various different kinds of ear tips (including oval shaped silicon tips).

Unfortunately, the smallest size foam ear tips I can find are slightly big for my ears. I basically want to shrink them a little bit.

When I do an internet search for how to shrink memory foam, the search engines assume i am referring to foam mattresses, cannot find anything related to how the material itself can be permanently shrunk.

If it's not practical or possible to shrink memory foam without completely destroying it .... can anyone recommend smaller foam ear tips that will fit the 3mm nozzles on the SE215.

The outside diameter of the small Shure foam tips is 11 mm (.437"). I think I would need something like 9 mm.

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Small T100 foams AliExpress are a hair smaller than Shure 'black olive' foams. But 10.6mm not 9mm.

I don't think they make a foam that small and there isn't a way to shrink them that I know of.

You could make an adapter and try small sony triple comforts. The triple comforts are foam shaped like a silicone and will collapse further meaning they may be more comfortable for you.

20190118_183526 (1) (1).jpg

20190701_224449.jpg

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 16
thanks for posting this level of detail, good to be able to compare them side by side.

you're suggesting an adapter because the inside diameters of the tips are larger than the nozzle, obviously. a little bit of work for the small change in diameter, and from what I could see I'd want to try the hybrid eartips as a starting point. what is the inside diameter of those ?

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 16
thanks for posting this level of detail, good to be able to compare them side by side.

you're suggesting an adapter because the inside diameters of the tips are larger than the nozzle, obviously. a little bit of work for the small change in diameter, and from what I could see I'd want to try the hybrid eartips as a starting point. what is the inside diameter of those ?
Just to eliminate the obvious, but you are squeezing the foams between finger and thumb before inserting into your ear aren't you?

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 16
Just to eliminate the obvious, but you are squeezing the foams between finger and thumb before inserting into your ear aren't you?

i do, yes, and i hold the earphones in place for about 5-6 seconds to let the foam expand.

however my ear canals are on the smaller side and the foams expand during wearing, so they eventually push on the earphones and they move from their ideal listening position.

i was exploring going with custom ear molds, but before choosing to spend that kind of money on a set that is made for the se215, i thought there has to be a set of eartips out there from the vast selection that could work well enough for my needs

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 16
here is how they currently sit in each ear ... the foam eartips push the earphones backward/outward.

i also have a set of klipsch oval silicone ear tips i've used with the se215. they've worked ok for a while but sound is not as good as with foam.

on my ER-4P's I use the Eytmotic flanged eartips that come with them, for sound isolation (excellent), however they are also uncomfortable.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Ah. You have the same issue I did. It isn't the foam that is the issue, it is the length of the IEM and a somewhat small 'concha' of the ear.

I ended up selling my se215's after getting some westone um pro 10's. But while more detailed it does have less bass than the se215's, and may not be a sound signature you like.

20181221_170600.jpg
20181221_170816.jpg

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Ah. You have the same issue I did. It isn't the foam that is the issue, it is the length of the IEM and a somewhat small 'concha' of the ear.

I ended up selling my se215's after getting some westone um pro 10's. But while more detailed it does have less bass than the se215's, and may not be a sound signature you like.

20181221_170600.jpg
20181221_170816.jpg

thats one way to do it.

for me, im otherwise happy with the design of the 215’s and BT2.

if i can get some pretty narrow and small foam eartips that work, ill be happy.

else i can consider making my own out of sugru

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 16
i'd like to give the Sony Triple Comfort EP-TC50 a try .... but i think the nozzle size they fit is 4mm, whereas the Shures are 3mm nozzles.

any ideas, and if anyone can give me the dimensions of the Small and Medium sizes (TC50S and TC50M) ?

thanks

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Can someone tell me what the hybrid tips entail. Is that a combination of foam and silicone. Also I hear jvc spiral dot a lot. Are those really good tips or is it that they fit most any stem? Thanks. Beginner here..

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 16
i'd like to give the Sony Triple Comfort EP-TC50 a try .... but i think the nozzle size they fit is 4mm, whereas the Shures are 3mm nozzles.

any ideas, and if anyone can give me the dimensions of the Small and Medium sizes (TC50S and TC50M) ?

thanks

Make an adapter? I used a nylon no. 4 bushing from the hardware store and a small extra fine round file to make it fit my westones. (See my post above for a pic.)

From left to right:
Sony Hybrid (S) 10.5-11mm
Sony Triple Comfort (S) 11mm
Sony MH755 tip (S) 11mm
JVC Spiral Dot (MS) 11mm
Radioshack Auvio (S) 11.5mm
Sony Triple Comfort (M) 12.5mm

Can someone tell me what the hybrid tips entail. Is that a combination of foam and silicone. Also I hear jvc spiral dot a lot. Are those really good tips or is it that they fit most any stem? Thanks. Beginner here..

I think Sony hybrids are just 2 different types of silicone in one tip. That wouldbe why they have different color core.

Triple comforts are solid silicone core and silicone foam outer. They are super soft feeling.

Spiral dots are popular for the way they change how things sound a bit, due to being wide open and having dots in the core. They have a decent range of sizes and are comfortable for many. Ymmv

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 16

20181221_170600.jpg
20181221_170816.jpg

i looked at these comparison photos, i think you may have a good opinion that might work (going with another IEM vs. hunting for different eartips)

do you think the Shure BT2 connectors will work with these westone UM Pro 10's or even the 20's ? it would be one alternative - to buy the earphones with the standard cable - or I might chance on just the earphones themselves. want to avoid having to buy the westone wireless cable if i get a pair of westone IEM's.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 16
they do, but the angle and shape of the connector ports might prevent a good connection. i think i read about that online some time ago, that some westone models will not work with the shure's BT2 cable .... that is why i asked.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 16
It's the opposite actually. Westone cables use a shrouded end which doesn't fit most other MMCX connections without removing a mm or two of material. Regular MMCX ends work in Westone IEM's with no problem.

I've used aftermarket cables, TRN BT10, BT20 & BT20S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back