A Tale of Two Florida Mini Meets - The Impression Thread
May 6, 2007 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tyrion

Can Jam '08 Lead Organizer
One was planned over time, the other a last minute get together. One started with no one from Tampa showing up and one guy from Miami, that barely shows up at a SoFla meet, in attendance, the other is a couple of guys that sit around, listen to some good music on a couple of rigs, only to realize it's a beautiful day that can be better spent doing something else. One is a big disappointment as the amp and can combo everyone was waiting for didn't arrive (at least as of 3pm), the other ends up at the Falcon Pub drinking beers and and having great fish and chips. One consisted of the meet organizer calling the other guys to complain about their meet as the other guys were on their third pints.

One was Tampa the other Fort Lauderdale, guess which was which.
very_evil_smiley.gif

One more thing, gpalmer, gpalmer, Bueller, Bueller....

May 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 29
Hey Mike he showed up. Yay for Greg
smily_headphones1.gif

Eventually it turned into three Tampa guys and two out-of-towners, so Tampa has just barely held off from becoming a joke. Gloomfire is the loser in this case, we'll see what he has to say for himself.

Our meet was good though, much fun was had by all. Granted we weren't draining pints left and right but sobriety can be fun as well, or have you guys forgotten? Vicki I think you better step in here.

I got a few pictures that I'll get around to posting later, I think Miguel has a bunch more. BTW there were as many adjuncts to the meet as there were actual head-fi members. Miguel brought his friend Jack along, and I had a total of 5 friends in attendance. Jeremy was the guy who let us use his beautiful house, and we'd told several other guys to come and hang out. They were suffering varying levels of shock and horror at the true-blooded Head-fi members. I mean they knew I was insane but being in the presence of Miguel and Greg will give most people a creeping uneasy feeling
biggrin.gif

Members in attendance:
Myself
Miguel (M R Arroyo, not Mister!)
Oicdn (rode his fancy italian motorbike from Jacksonville and back in a day, hardcore man!)
Reivaj
GPalmer

Nice size for a minimeet and there was plenty of gears to make everyone happy.

May 6, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One consisted of the meet organizer calling the other guys to complain about their meet as the other guys were on their third pints.

Hey I didn't complain that much, just asked Tyrion to use his magical mod powers to track down GPalmer. He made it though and everyone got plenty of listening time in with his rigs. So maybe they asked me the question about would I rather be hanging at a pub with them (Mike and John), or stuck hosting a meet. True I might rather be at a pub, but y'know I had responsibilities & stuff up here. The answer was clear but that doesn't mean that I didn't get great enjoyment from having everyone over.

May 6, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 29
It was a very enjoyable meet, even if I did toddle in half way through...
very_evil_smiley.gif
For me the high point we MRAroyyo's (?) $100.00 headphones. They sounded way better than their price tag! Nice even frequency response throughout the range, no real in your face flaws and a very spacious sound for a set of closed headphones. The other piece of gear that had the chance to impress was the LaRocco portable but when I was listening to it the bass was cranked up and I didn't know it so I'll have to try it again in the future. The other high point was the upgraded Gilmore V2-SE / L-3000 combo getting another member into team AudioTechnica.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a very enjoyable meet, even if I did toddle in half way through...
very_evil_smiley.gif
For me the high point we MRAroyyo's (?) $100.00 headphones. They sounded way better than their price tag! Nice even frequency response throughout the range, no real in your face flaws and a very spacious sound for a set of closed headphones. The other piece of gear that had the chance to impress was the LaRocco portable but when I was listening to it the bass was cranked up and I didn't know it so I'll have to try it again in the future. The other high point was the upgraded Gilmore V2-SE / L-3000 combo getting another member into team AudioTechnica.
biggrin.gif

Your are talking about the Equation Audio RP21 that Vorlon1 loaned me. Here is a picture:

RP-21-cropped-200.jpg

I would like to think Matt for setting this up. It was great meeting a buch of guys with whom I have been exchanged PMs for a while, like Nate.

May 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You home already Miguel? Pretty good time.

I only got to spend a minute with the Equation Audio's but indeed they're a great bargain. Reminds me very much of an Ultrasone.

No, I am at Jack's in Homosassa, FL

May 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 29
It looks like you guys had a good time. It's good to know that gpalmer isn't some computer generated online personality. I was beginning to wonder.
icon10.gif

May 7, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like you guys had a good time. It's good to know that gpalmer isn't some computer generated online personality. I was beginning to wonder.
icon10.gif

That would be a pretty cruddy program! And may I say I was glad to find out I wasn't banned!
biggrin.gif

Those were the headphones, very nice, I really wish I had them way back when I could listen to headphones at work. Man, those are perfect, good enough you enjoy the music cheap enough if someone gets larcenous you don't feel devastated!

May 7, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 29
The ride was brutal. I got home and felt sick cause I didn't eat all day. I got home at 9pm. I take that back, I had a payday on the way home, lol.

Anyhow, here are the pics, and I'll give my impressions after the pics.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

image13.jpg

My highlight(for portables), was the LaRocco compined with those Equation Audio RP21...holy hell. It had the thump (not bloat) of the DT770, with the airy-ness of the 990...it'shonestly a GREAT can. If you combine that with a GV6 or Porta Corda...you have an AWESOME and cheap work rig.

And I can't leave without saying how AWESOME that Denon TT and Single power was. Listening through HD600's, you're in heaven. I can;t imagine listening through some Darth Beyers or PS1's...I would probably faint, lol.

I'll give a semi-formal review of everything shortly...but I thought I'de get some pics up asap...well, I coulda got them up last night, but I was so sickly and hungry, I got some food and liquid and went to bed....

May 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 29
whoa. i never got the sense of the scale for that Denon TT before - that thing is the Titanic of old school turntables! what a beast! my Goldring looks so wimpy compared to that chopping block!
redface.gif

May 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa. i never got the sense of the scale for that Denon TT before - that thing is the Titanic of old school turntables! what a beast! my Goldring looks so wimpy compared to that chopping block!
redface.gif

It sounds as good as it looks! Probably better now that he has the Grado cart.

May 7, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif

Yeah I just got it back to my house. It's size isn't a bad predictor for its weight. I haven't weighed it but I'd guess about 40 lbs.

100_0451.jpg

New guy OICDN (The cool people just call him Nate).

100_0450.jpg

Reivaj (Get a mirror)

100_0446.jpg

Mister Arroyo with the aforementioned newbs.

100_0449.jpg

The mysterious Greg Palmer. AKA The Unibrow.

May 7, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mysterious Greg Palmer. AKA The Unibrow.

Stop slandering me with malacious truths!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back