A Super-Simple 6DJ8 Headphone Amp
Apr 18, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #346 of 490
Bump goes the thread. I was wondering if someone could help me with picking resistors for this amp. I'm unable to find single or assorted places to find 13ohm or 35ohm resistors. I live in Finland so if anyone can point to a ebay seller I would be thankful.

I've decided to go with this amp after my Cmoy trials, should be interesting, Im in no hurry though, I'll get the PCB in the upcoming weeks and start picking up the rest of the parts.

May 3, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #347 of 490
Still looking for an assortment of suitable resistors, i've seen a few on eBay that contain most of the ones I need, although not the ones I mentioned earlier. I've put up a part list which is about 70€ for me, with Elna Silmic II electrolytic caps and Dijon / ICEL polypropylen caps. Othervise maybe a JJ / Elextro Harmonics tube and a Hammond box to put the stuff in.

May 5, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #348 of 490

Quote:
Still looking for an assortment of suitable resistors, i've seen a few on eBay that contain most of the ones I need, although not the ones I mentioned earlier. I've put up a part list which is about 70€ for me, with Elna Silmic II electrolytic caps and Dijon / ICEL polypropylen caps. Othervise maybe a JJ / Elextro Harmonics tube and a Hammond box to put the stuff in.

I'm compiling a BOM with European sources, will have it ready today or tomorrow if you are still interested.

May 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #349 of 490
Hi Lehtinel, I'm starting this project too.

I can see, as a lot of dudes here, I have the "XR01" board bought on 8Audio ; the same can be found on eBay.
After purchasing a miserably chinease low quality "Indeed/Muse/Bravo style" headphone amp, I started to upgrade it ; but finally, the lack of space for components pushed me to start a new one from scratch, with audio quality parts only.

I have my parts list, with a reseller in France and a few abroad.
Both 13 and 15 Ohms are available in quality equiv. to Allen Bradley :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/5-resistance-carbone-13R-1-4W-5-carbon-comp-resistor-/280610280678
http://cgi.ebay.fr/5-resistance-carbone-15R-0-5W-10-carbon-comp-resistor-/270693226513
TIP : you can change the 13 & 15 Ohms // resistors by 1 only resistor = 6.9 ~ 7.0 Ohms @ 1/2 W (it will only dissipate 1/4 W)
The LM317 is used as a current regulator (not a voltage) : see http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Voltage-Regulator/

I've found 6R8 resistors 0.6 W that could fit (provide 184 mA instead of 180 mA).
http://cgi.ebay.fr/25-resistance-couche-metal-6R8-0-6W-1-Philips-MRS25-/270680801009
As they're not on signal path, a metallic layer resistor is good enough.

If you want so, I could buy the hole list (usually 5 to 25 components per "item") and send you what you need in 1 only enveloppe in Finland.
I'll check if he can have the hole list, even not on eBay, he sold me different parts several times, he's sending only to France.

Also I have a plan for 2 6922/6DJ8 tubes (either from ITT or Jan Philips).
What do you think about that ?

Arnaud

May 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #350 of 490
I completed the list.
I share here the spreadsheet ; it's public so you can add comments (in red with your name).
Of course all the parts are available in France and I can send you elsewhere (with the real postal fees, no margins from me).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtupC_2cbmp3dE1jVmdQODkwY0xRZHA0aHR1U1JCUEE&hl=fr&authkey=CNiB584C

May 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #351 of 490
BTW, in France we have SCR / Solen MKP caps (you may know the PB-MKP -FA / -FB / -FC series for XO filters).
They are a good value for a low cost ; of course, the higher quality the higher price. Up to 110 µF or 200 µF.

Ex.
0,1 µF Polypropylene (630 V) @ 1,50 Eur
0,1 µF Polypropylene / Tin foil @ 3,80 Eur
0,1 µF Teflon / Tin foil (1000 V) @ 32,50 Eur 

May 6, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #352 of 490
Quote:
If you want so, I could buy the hole list (usually 5 to 25 components per "item") and send you what you need in 1 only enveloppe in Finland.
I'll check if he can have the hole list, even not on eBay, he sold me different parts several times, he's sending only to France.

Also I have a plan for 2 6922/6DJ8 tubes (either from ITT or Jan Philips).
What do you think about that ?

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud, this sounds interesting indeed, it would help me in getting the resistors. Im not concerned about the rest of the part list, I can get everything from casing to the tubes and in between here in Finland. We could continue going trough details in private messaging.

Regards,

Lasse

May 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #353 of 490
Most of what you need can be found from banzaieffects in Germany. You only need to

* get the proper heatsinks from ebay (the link is in my list)

* get the 2sk117 from ebay (they are pretty cheap)

* swap the IRF-510 for the Hitachi transistors

* add to-220 mounting kits or use locally sourced screws and thermal paste (you can get it from banzaieffects too, or any decent pc store will carry it)

In my list, I used resistor values for the 7DJ8 tube, which needs less current. And a few items are optional, like the voulme pot (I use locally sourced Alps blue velvets), but it should give you most you need from Banzai. With nice Cerafines for the output caps, good but cheap Wima for the input caps, etc.

Link to spreadsheet here

May 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #354 of 490
Yes, we could replace rare & expansive 2SK310 by simple IRF510 ... but I've read that IRL510 (or IRL530) gives better results with expanded banwidth.

I've bought both and tried IRL510 then replaced 1000µF poor output caps by 2200µF Elna Silmic II and the 2 upgrades expand the higher bandwidth, gives more spacial image and clarity ; my caps were new and they will give better after more than few hours. Notice that you have to find good/thick heatsinks for the IRL ones !

But maybe it have been already talked thru these 25 thread pages ...?

May 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #355 of 490
I hope I could reply to this soon !

I've bought the "Indeed/Bravo" amp style, and I've been (not a little) disapointed.
After a few upgrades - but it would need a lot - I'm starting a new, clean and quality drived project.
I've recently found this forum where, apparently, a lot of folks bought the same ''XR01'' PCB

dt880smile.png

Quote:
does anyone tried the Indeed amp with our amp?

which sound nicer?

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #356 of 490
You think this would do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FC1237-Headphone-amplifier-protection-kit-DIY-C59-/120656345258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c17adb8aa

This would give the time for the amplifier to power up before the relays kick in hence no pop sound.
Well this is what the relay's do on my TK2050 amp.

I'm very interested in this headphone amp project I will have to definitely build my own!!

The amount of advice on knowledge on is great will help me to build my own, keep up the good work!!

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #357 of 490
Has anyone tried using an 1000uf capacitor for C103 like on the schematic? 
Reading through the forum people have commented that 1000uf its not big enough.

I ask has I have a 1000uf black gate which I won off ebay dead cheap
biggrin.gif
 and would like to use it, I know that it would make the 
biggest difference in C102/C202 but don't want to pay £40 for another one.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #358 of 490

Quote:
Has anyone tried using an 1000uf capacitor for C103 like on the schematic? 
Reading through the forum people have commented that 1000uf its not big enough.

I ask has I have a 1000uf black gate which I won off ebay dead cheap
biggrin.gif
 and would like to use it, I know that it would make the 
biggest difference in C102/C202 but don't want to pay £40 for another one.

I have 1000uf on mine and it works great. I suspect that unless you have a good DAC and excellent headphones, you won't notice much difference.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #359 of 490
Well I will just see if I like it only being 1000uf.
I've almost finished  just waiting for the 1k pots and tube socket its very frustrating as they were ordered a week ago!!

I'm using Elna silmic II, K40Y-9 capacitors with IR510 mosfet and a Mullard ECC82 should be good.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #360 of 490
Well I completed my build today fired it up for the first time and nothing
confused.gif

Not even the heaters in the tube light up. I try to adjust the 1k pots but it makes no difference to the voltage, its always 24v exactly the same as the main input voltage.

I think that the K117's may be damaged.

​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back