A suitcase amp?
Mar 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BobbyChicken

Head-Fier
I have a pair of edition 9's i need to get amped. Here's the thing: I'd like to get the sq of a desktop amp in a portable package. I don't need small. They amp could be just as big as any desktop amp; it just has to run off a battery so i can take it outside with me, on car rides, and that sort of thing. Would I be able to run a high-quality amp, such as the beta-22 off a battery?

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 6
I would say, probably not. The Beta-22 boards need a 24 v(+ and - ), so has a swing of 48 volts with a 200Ma draw per board. You would need a lot of batteries. I was going to suggest the CTH that is being prototyped right now, but even it needs 24V AC to run it..
You might be able to find someone to design a supply that would take 12V DC in from a car battery and use a voltage doubler and some kind of switcher to convert it to AC, but it seems like a lot of work..

You are probably better off getting something like a Mini3, which is very well regarded..

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 6
PPAv2 with battery board.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 6
You can easily buy a power inverter for your car to run any AC device from your car's DC outlet. But if you actually want to go mobile (like walking around) listening to a beta 22, that'd be tricky. Plus you'd get crap from people in the DIY forum wanting you to move the power supply section of the amp into a separate suitcase to eliminate hum
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back