A successor to my Clix2
Mar 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

noteventime

New Head-Fier
Hey,
It seems that my Clix2 is beginning to give up on me (it keeps randomly locking up). So I'm just wondering what's interesting on the DAP market at the moment. The "only" real requirement I have is Vorbis support, anything else (obviously apart from good sounds quality
wink.gif
) is optional. I'll mainly be using it with a pair of MS-1:s, if it's of any importance.

What I've checked out this far are what seems to me to be the Clix2's successors, the L-Player and the Spin. Both of which seem rather nice, though the L-Player seems rather hard to get by here (Sweden).

I also saw that the 16GB iAudio 7 is available at a good price nowadays, I remember considering it as an option when buying my Clix2.

Getting an OpenPandora would be an option, though that still seems to be some months away.

So, any thoughts on what's interesting at the moment or in the near future? And also, any idea what's happening to my Clix?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Just so you know: L-player is not a clix2 successors. It uses a cheaper Chinese made audio processor to cut cost.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative Zen (non Xfi) 32gb. Great interface, great flat SQ, great price. Worse SDHC integration than Cowon D2.

I was under the impression that the Zen's didn't support Vorbis.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 15
If your willing to delve into touchscreens, the Cowon S9 is an excellent DAP for your requirements. I think it will fulfill all your needs. It shares alot of its technology with the Clix2 (AMOLED, Custom UCIs, Flash support) plus it support Ogg Vorbis
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd definetely check it out if your willing to try touch screens and a slight larger device.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Interesting, I hadn't seen the S9 before, it definitely looks like an option.

Though to be quite honest I'm a little sceptical about the iPod touch/iPhones-likes coming around, so I think I'd rather try it out before I buy it (especially since it's considerably more pricy than the other alternatives). I think I'll see if maybe I can find it for sale somewhere around here.

Still no opinions on the spin though?

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 15
The Spinn is good too, but overly expensive for what it is IMO. The sound quality is supposed to be pretty average with a bit of digital noise. Although the design is beautiful! But like the S9, it's going to be somewhat bigger than the Clix2.
frown.gif
On the plus side though, it does have customizable UCIs and a AMOLED screen!

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Sansa fuze has great sound quality and its much cheaper than the clix2.if you like to watch videos thats not the one but asonly an audio player its great.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 15
After doing some more reading I think I've decided to get the D2 even though it has a touch screen interface, the deal breaker being the SDHC slot combined with very good reviews regarding sound quality. Also, it seems people are working on getting RockBox ported to it, which would be great.

The D2+ doesn't seem to be available here yet, so I'm wondering if there's any reason to wait for it? I know it has some interface modifications, a plastic case and supports BBE+, which I know next to nothing about.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 15
D2+ and D2 are very similar (beisde the added hardware on the + of course) - in fact, people already ported D2+ firmware to D2. Check this out.

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #14 of 15
D2 is definitely more popular. But I'm gonna stick my neck out and say go for the SPINN. 1 issue it had was the heavy price tag that it came with. I'm not so sure about the price now but if its falling, grab it.

To be honest its not as bad as multiple reviews make it out to be. I have one since it came out and it sounds pretty good to me. I'll admit right here right now that I don't have a ****load of experience with different DAP's like many others here (previously owned iPod Mini, iriver T30 and a couple of Sony MiniDisc Players), but I'll trust my own ears :)

Sound quality is above average and the interface is quite easy to use. Battery life is decent with flac usage and it charges back pretty fast anyway. The weight is barely noticeable and is quite slim/sleek.

^My 2 cents for iriver anyway :)
Hope it helps!

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wenhui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 is definitely more popular. But I'm gonna stick my neck out and say go for the SPINN. 1 issue it had was the heavy price tag that it came with. I'm not so sure about the price now but if its falling, grab it.

To be honest its not as bad as multiple reviews make it out to be. I have one since it came out and it sounds pretty good to me. I'll admit right here right now that I don't have a ****load of experience with different DAP's like many others here (previously owned iPod Mini, iriver T30 and a couple of Sony MiniDisc Players), but I'll trust my own ears :)

Sound quality is above average and the interface is quite easy to use. Battery life is decent with flac usage and it charges back pretty fast anyway. The weight is barely noticeable and is quite slim/sleek.

^My 2 cents for iriver anyway :)
Hope it helps!

Good to see that someone likes the SPINN
biggrin.gif
. Though I've already ordered a D2, I didn't feel like the SPINN's better looks and interface outweigh the D2's expandable memory, near-future rockbox support and supposedly better sound quality.

I'm crossing my fingers having a touch screen won't be too annoying...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back