A stupid Question from a Newbie
Nov 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

keithd

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Im new to the forum and seriously thinking of getting myself a nice entry level vinyl setup.  I've always been told how good vinyl sounds compared to digital, and cds have never sounded as good to me as vinyl did when i was a child.  My main problem is that i have always been told that you have to keep the whole link from record to headphone analogue (as my dad keeps telling me).  Im after a headphone amp that will drive Sen HD650,s or 600's that fits this bill.  Im lured by tubes, but price probably means ill have to put it off for now.  Im looking at the Graham Slee Solo or Novo.  My question is are there solid state amps that are analogue or is solid state essentially digital. would i have to go the tube route to get the analogue sound?  This may seem a stupid question so any advice would be great.  

Thanks

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm not a Vinyl guy anymore, I went to Digital in the 80s. If you're dissatisfied with digital I'd suggest you listen to a good digital system before jumping into vinyl. Comparing the memory of a system you heard many years ago to another you've listened to recently doesn't work.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Vinyl is analogue. So you'll need clean records -> turntable/cartridge -> phono preamp -> headphone amp will be completely analogue. For the headphone amp you can go tube or SS. 

I recently set up a vinyl system because I heard the same thing vinyl beats digital. Take it with a grain of salt.

In my opinion vinyl is only good if you have access to access to reasonably priced records in good condition or you listen to stuff that isn't commonly available digitally.

Or you enjoy the ritual involved with vinyl. Hunting for records, the turntable setup, record cleaning,  and you like to  listen to entire albums begining to end, don't mind getting up every 20 minutes to flip the record over.

There are some days I love the that, other days I just want to hit play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back