A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #46 of 57
Quote:
FTFY.
and yeah, there are many who's willing do die for science.
Though I'm not one of them... yet. (It'd be kinda nice if I died for science in my 80's or 90's)

For Science!

Ok, I thought I was a mad scientist highschool student, but you sir take the cake. You get mad props from me, since I'm a Junior physics undergrad right now, and you've far exceeded my skill level. Keep at it, work methodically, expect the unexpected, and I see no reason why you can't pull this off

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #47 of 57
Quote:
Any progress?

Or is it on hold until you're done with your CIEM's?

Yep, On-hold until I finish Custom-fi 2.
I have the components to build the HV amp.

Quote:
For Science!

Ok, I thought I was a mad scientist highschool student, but you sir take the cake. You get mad props from me, since I'm a Junior physics undergrad right now, and you've far exceeded my skill level. Keep at it, work methodically, expect the unexpected, and I see no reason why you can't pull this off

LOL

So what did you do in your highschool days?

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:
Very interesting thread. Any updates on these?

This project is currently on-hold until I finish my Custom IEM build...
Which is also on-hold because of my school work.
So not yet, sorry about that~

I'd expect to get back to this project by christmas holidays.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:
Yep, On-hold until I finish Custom-fi 2.
I have the components to build the HV amp.

LOL

So what did you do in your highschool days?

Just a little bit of basic robotics stuff with arduino,nothing this intense, so hat's off to you!

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:
Just a little bit of basic robotics stuff with arduino,nothing this intense, so hat's off to you!

Hm... i"ve never used arduino before, but always hear people talk about it.
It's like a development board with an Atmel AVR µC right?

I've done a bit of assembly programming for the AVR and MCS-51 instruction sets before.
Just some really simple embedded systems, mainly for controlling controlling a power amp.
(Soft-start, Output delay, Muting, Input select, etc)
I really like the AVR µC's ISP (In-System Programming) and Internal ADC for analog inputs, it makes all the MCS-51 µC's look stupid lol

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:
Hey, I've been working on a similar project.  I've been having issues with the flybacks I was using to power it.  Waiting on new ones...

Got a construction log??

Flybacks? Their voltages are too high, and it's hard to get a good DC out of them.
(they only have a half-wave rectifier inside and no smoothing cap -> bumpy DC)

Well at least that's why I decided to go with a multiplier, have any luck with them?

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:
Got a construction log??

Flybacks? Their voltages are too high, and it's hard to get a good DC out of them.

Well at least that's why I decided to go with a multiplier, have any luck with them?

A flyback can make any voltage (it is a topology, not a specific power supply), and you can add a capacitor to their output to make it DC.

Unless you're talking about a flyback transformer from a television (a term which has led to terrible terminology misuse in the hobbyist community). That would likely be the wrong tool for the job.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:
A flyback can make any voltage (it is a topology, not a specific power supply), and you can add a capacitor to their output to make it DC.

Unless you're talking about a flyback transformer from a television (a term which has led to terrible terminology misuse in the hobbyist community). That would likely be the wrong tool for the job.

Oops, I read FBT back there. :p
Now that would make more sense if it was flyback converter!

but if you use a flyback to step high up you'd need a HV transformer right? 
(which is not easy to get ahold of.)

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #56 of 57
Got a construction log??

I've had luck with them, but not these particular ones. Sorry no construction log, it has been an off and on project for about a year.

Nah, computer monitor type. You just have to test for the correct pins. Or, in the case of the ones I ordered I have the schematics.

No just a plain flyback will work.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

So long as the windings don't arc over, any turns ratio will work in a flyback (at least in an ideal case). There are ideal turns ratios that can be calculated, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back