A solution to free-moving Grado driver chamber!
Jun 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently been having an issue with one of my MS-2 driver chamber being too loose and freely rotating. I have always wanted to get those rod locks that Larry is offering but can't justify the cost of sending everything there and back (and the jacked-up price of the rod locks if I don't do a re-cable as well - which I don't plan on). Larry does not sell a headband on its own either, which is pity as I would have taken on his rod lock and lambskin headband options.

Which leads me to asking: where else can I find a complete Grado headband (just so I can just remove my MS-2 driver/chamber and transplant them to the new headband)?

Cheers!

__________________________________________________ _______________
Edit:
I've found a great solution to this. I hope this will help similarly afflicted Grado users.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: I could not find any nail polish in my house (and I won't buy a new bottle just for this), so I decided to use blutak instead. What I did was simply stuff a little bit down the creases between the rod and plastic bit that holds it. Then I slid the rod up and down a few times to 'settle' the blutak in that space. Voila! No more free-sliding rod!
smily_headphones1.gif

For those interested in trying it out, I stress: use just a little bit of blutak (I used about 5mm, shaped as thinly as possible to allow easy insertion into the shallow space). This is sufficient for increasing the resistance to rod movement.

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 10
One solution to loose rods that I've seen proposed is covering the rod in a layer of clear nail polish. This increases the outer diameter of the rod, which increases the friction between it and whatever it is that holds the rod in place.

Those rod locks look like they'd be pretty easy to DIY, though. Just drill a hole, tap it, and then thread in the appropriate sized hex-head screws or what have you.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

I'll try the nail polish idea but still am interested to know where to get replacement headbands. And since I don't own nor know how to drill, I'll skip that exercise.
wink.gif

Cheers!

TMK, your only option is to send it directly to Grado for a replacement. I highly doubt any other place (in the world) will have replacement Grado parts laying around.
If you choose that route, do this...
remove each aluminum cup from its C-shaped plastic holder by prying it carefully away from the cup. What you have now is the "headband assembly." Send complete "headband assembly" to them. This will be lighter and postage would not be as much as opposed to sending in the complete intact headphone.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TMK, your only option is to send it directly to Grado for a replacement. I highly doubt any other place (in the world) will have replacement Grado parts laying around.
If you choose that route, do this...
remove each aluminum cup from its C-shaped plastic holder by prying it carefully away from the cup. What you have now is the "headband assembly." Send complete "headband assembly" to them. This will be lighter and postage would not be as much as opposed to sending in the complete intact headphone.

But I won't then be able to listen to my MS-2. Rather than doing that, is it possible to purchase one from Grado? I heard that they've now standardised their 'higher-end' headbands to the RS-1 standard.

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

But I won't then be able to listen to my MS-2. Rather than doing that, is it possible to purchase one from Grado? I heard that they've now standardised their 'higher-end' headbands to the RS-1 standard.

Cheers!

True. However, IME, they want you to mail in the defective part to them. In this case, I guess they are concerned that people with lower end Grados will buy a leather-padded headband assembly to replace the vinyl headband.
Anyways, I would contact them to be sure.
icon10.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I've recently been having an issue with one of my MS-2 driver chamber being too loose and freely rotating. I have always wanted to get those rod locks that Larry is offering but can't justify the cost of sending everything there and back (and the jacked-up price of the rod locks if I don't do a re-cable as well - which I don't plan on). Larry does not sell a headband on its own either, which is pity as I would have taken on his rod lock and lambskin headband options.

Update: I could not find any nail polish in my house (and I won't buy a new bottle just for this), so I decided to use blutak instead. What I did was simply stuff a little bit down the creases between the rod and plastic bit that holds it. Then I slid the rod up and down a few times to 'settle' the blutak in that space. Voila! No more free-sliding rod!
smily_headphones1.gif

For those interested in trying it out, I stress: use just a little bit of blutak (I used about 5mm, shaped as thinly as possible to allow easy insertion into the shallow space). This is sufficient for increasing the resistance to rod movement.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 10
I have had a solution to this problem for like 6 months or more. cannot decide if I should just share it with the head-fi community or try and make some money off this idea with little packets that I can send to you so you can do it on your on. I stay dead broke with little money to spend on the electronics that I want. problem has been the motivation to get the idea up and going. another is if I make this investment what's to keep others from doing it themselves for it's so easy I'm surprised no one has come up with it before.

to me it's better than the rod locks for no drilling is involved! neither is nail polish or glue. drivers will stay in the exact up and down position you fix them at yet still allow for the driver to piviot a little from side to side. no more twisted cables.

I have other Grado ideas that I would like to try and possibly sale but this one seems to be the best.

it just kills me inside to know I have an answer to your problem that I could easily share with the community but should I try and make some money off it..

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 10
afaik, a friend tried his hardest to buy just the leather headband for the grados and they absolutely would not. I think he eventually bought them from someone else who had a broken pair or whatnot.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 10
The Blutak method works really well. I no longer have a free-moving rod. Instead it stays at the position I want it to stay at (and no, it is not glued!; the Blutak serves only to increase the then non-existent resistance by a reasonable margin). If you suffer from the same problem, this is the cheapest, most non-intrusive solution which is also just as effective as rod-locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back