A simple way of adding airiness to HIFIMAN HE-5LE: Remove Grill Cloth
May 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
HE-5LE sound neutral and balanced when comparing to some bright headphones. Some customers complained that HE-5LE is not as bright as HE-5 or HD800. We can easily make it brighter in two different ways:
1. Buy a brighter cable
2. Remove Grill Cloth

Now our engineer are showing you the procedure of  2.

HE-5LE grills were fixed on the headphone by a bayonet elastic ring (There are four sockets in the inner side of the headphone body). You will have to remove the ring first, then you can easily remove the grill and the grill cloth. The last step is to lock the grill without grill cloth by pushing the ring back.

The ring is very solid so that you can easily remove cloth after following the procedure. In case you did break the ring, we will provide ring+grill+cloth+earpad avialable in a package on sale at head-direct.com. But you must be careful about your headphone body: if you break the socket in headphone body (which is very difficult), you might lost your warranty.

Step 1:

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4:
Put the grill and plastic ring back without the grill cloth. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Nankai...

I am sure that this very clear tutorial will be of much help to those who would like to experiment with a different SQ without the need for an expensive new cable.

It is good that this option can be provided for users to accomplish without the need for technical skills or warranty-voiding modifications. 

Thank to you and your engineers for making this information available to the 5LE community!

Ron

May 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for this tip.  While I really do like the stock HE-5 LE a lot with the grill cloth in place, at some point I will remove mine and report on the changes in comparison to the HE-5 and HD800.

May 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 11
For cosmetics purposes, does any alternate grill cloth material exist that can replace the original grill cloth material and still produce the desired brighter/airiness?
Or does the replacement of any grill cloth material defeat the brightness/airiness goal?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone may be able to answer my question...

I picked up a pair of HE-5LEs on the used market, and I'm guessing that a prior owner removed the rings to take out the grill cloth demonstrated in this thread. As a result, it looks like two of the four 'tabs' on the ring were broken off. The ring looks to have been glued back in place, but now the ring has become unglued, and the ring is only half in-place. I looked on the head-direct website and it doesn't look like the 'ring kit' is for sale any longer. Are there any other vendors that still sell this kit? Is it a bad idea to just use the headphones without the exterior grills? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back