A simple review of Onkyo SE200 Soundcard
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #61 of 72
The reason is the market for it is rather small; it's basically sold only in Japan and the people that do buy it here buy via the importers. That being said, I own the 90, 150, and soon the SE200LTD
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #62 of 72
I just received the Onkyo SE-200 LTD. I've connected it to the RCA outputs, but the volume and mute only seem to work with digital out. Anyone experienced this? Not a problem if you connect it to a preamp/surroundreceiver, but I want to try to connect to directly to a power amp and I therefore need to control the volume with the PC.

I also tried once to connect my frontspeakers to white/red RCA with the breakout cable. I got no sound at all. Does the breakout cable perhaps only work with a 5.1/7.1 system? I've a 4.0 system at the moment.
I'm using Vista 32.

And another thing. The card doesn't seem to change sampling rate automatically when one uses RCA out. If that's the case, it's quite ridicolous.

The sound quality is very good, but maybe not as impressive as I hoped for. I also have a EMU 0404 USB. They sound different, and both have their positive and negative sides. It depends very much on the rest of the setup which one is preferred. The EMU is more neutral and sounds more clear. The SE-200 LTD has a touch of warmth and ads quite a bit in the mid/upper bass region. The EMU has a more open treble, but also has some harshness which the Onkyo doesn't have.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #65 of 72
Just installed the PCI 200 Ltd. The driver is Envy 24 Vinyl from VIA. Fairly natural sound, lots of warmth, great stereo imaging. I feel however that the trebles are somewhat reduced, and I have to boost them by something like +2 dB at the amplifier. Any ideas, is this an intrinsic property of the PCI 200 Ltd, or this can be fixed by other driver, or something?

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #66 of 72
Recently got the 200LTD. Installed the driver VIA Vinyl Envy 24 rather than the original one from the CD coming with the card.

The sound is quite good, lots of warmth, pretty much vinyl-like. Two posts above bwo has described very well the characteristic sound manner of this card. Interestingly, it plays MP3s absolutely fantastic, with the artefacts of this lossy format in some way hidden away.

However, even with lossless formats the sound is not really the high-endI expected to hear for the 300$ price tag. My particular problem is the trebles. Yes, they are clean, but their overall level is a sort of suppressed, subjectively, about -3 dB compared to other sources. Does anybody have the same experience? Can I help this problem with the native Onkyo drivers? Or I should go tweaking the output stage OPs? Thank you for any advice.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #67 of 72
How does this compare with the ht omega claro halo?
I need a multichannel soundcard with bass redirection.
Right now i have an auzen x-fi prelude, and want something that can give me a much better quality. Unfortunately the asus st is only stereo, and i don't think the d2 would be much better.
Ah, i don't need a headphone amp, but i don't mind if it's there.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #68 of 72

Quote:
How does this compare with the ht omega claro halo?
I need a multichannel soundcard with bass redirection.
Right now i have an auzen x-fi prelude, and want something that can give me a much better quality. Unfortunately the asus st is only stereo, and i don't think the d2 would be much better.
Ah, i don't need a headphone amp, but i don't mind if it's there.

The ASUS ST is surround sound card if you add the H6 to the card.  It also allows surround over digital...

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #69 of 72
mhh you're right! Have to see if the burson discrete opamp would fit in my case with the multichannel expansion.
Also, do you think the asus st is the best soundcard?

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #70 of 72

Quote:
mhh you're right! Have to see if the burson discrete opamp would fit in my case with the multichannel expansion.
Also, do you think the asus st is the best soundcard?

There is really no such thing as the best....possibly best for you or best fit for certain needs.  The Bursons also come with extensions you can use to attache them in tight places.
The discrete opamps from Burson and Audio GD work great on many soundcards.  There are a few arounds using them on the Essence and other cards...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back