A short comparison of the HD650, HD600, DT880, and DT931
Oct 18, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 47
The HD650 is probably going to be to my liking. We'll see, though; I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 18, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #32 of 47
I'm looking forward to hearing the HD650s because they sound (from Dr. Meier's comments) virtually perfect, at least to what my ears like. I've tried many other headphones and always return to my HD600s. I'm also looking forward to a new Wavelength Audio SET headphone amp due out next year.

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 47
Hehe.

Just get a cary 300 sei If you want grado-like bass with those senns Budrew(with sophias and cardas cable).

When I heard about the new 650 comming out with more bass, I was worried that it would be TOO much. I would NEVER had even thought about that before!

The new senns might be a cheaper fix however!!
k.s.

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Budrew
I'm also looking forward to a new Wavelength Audio SET headphone amp due out next year.

cool. do you know what 's the price point would be?
maybe this is my first opportunity listening to Gordon's amplifier.

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #35 of 47
WA actually has a new integrated amp with a headphone out called the Diamond Junior for $3000, available now. He can tune the headphone output to whatever you need. But he also said he was coming out next year with a dedicated headphone amp, aimed apparently at the pro market too. He does not have a price, but he did say something about "most expensive cobalt transformers" and things like that so the price may not be cheap. But of course, what WA products are cheap!

Oct 19, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
My major complaint with the HD650 is, that its treble is even slightly more recessed than that of the HD600.

Yek, even more??? Well, nothing to worry about then...I begin to worry about that maybe the new Sennheiser will be a serious competitor for the CD3000, at least for sure, it is not for me.......so let's try to keep on building my system around it....

Oct 19, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Yek, even more??? Well, nothing to worry about then...I begin to worry about that maybe the new Sennheiser will be a serious competitor for the CD3000, at least for sure, it is not for me.......so let's try to keep on building my system around it....

hehe, Sov it looks like team CD3k is in the clear...although I don't think I'll be joining you guys. Thanks Dr. Meier for an excellent review. I am really looking forward to hearing the HD-650. I always found the upper treble a little hot on the 600, making cymbals sound splashy so maybe what you are describing in the treble will suit me well
600smile.gif

Bangraman, I couldn't agree with you more about the RS-1. I tried to like it but it is too imbalanced to be a "reference" headphone: tipped up treble and bloated bass. And this is coming from a guy who loves Grado headphones! My reference phone is a Grado (HP-2), and so is my portable phone (SR-60).

The 600 has always been one of my favorites and if the 650 keeps similar character while improving on the slow midbass, I will be a new Senn customer for sure.

Oct 19, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #38 of 47
In respone to Budrew...

I know everyone would like the HD650 to be perfect, but please, wait until you've heard the headphone. But, if you want to speculate, fine then. I don't even see where in the review Dr. Meier ever said their was more pronounced bass. Here's what he said on the bass: " I've always found the bass of the HD600 to be a little bit muddy and slow. Thankfully this has been greatly improved with the HD650. The latter simply is more tight and less resonant and has a better attack." Improved bass, but not more pronounced. And the treble: "My major complaint with the HD650 is, that its treble is even slightly more recessed than that of the HD600. As a result this phone never will get aggressive on you, but female voices simply lack air and percussion lacks that initial fast attack. The phone sounds slow in comparison to the other models." Lack of air with vocals, lack of attack with percussion, lack of agressiveness...I really don't see how "more bass" as you say could account for this.

And Dr. Meier has already answered this question. I quote:

wallijohn: The perceived diminishment of treble bothers me, though. Is it just that the overall tonal balance has been shifted an octave or two towards the bass?

Jan Meier: No, the effect is very small. Actually it's only clearly noticable at a direct A-B comparison.

So, to me, it sounds like it isn't even that much of a difference to worry about.

Oct 19, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I think the biggest "let-down" to present HD600 owners is the seemingly failure of Sennheiser to upgrad their cable. Of course Equinox, Cardas, Clou Bue are probably sighing with relief right now and are probably creating a customised cable just for the HD650.
biggrin.gif

Sorta OT, but wouldn't it have been better for Equinox et al if Sennheiser had changed at least the type of connectors? That would mean that a different replacement cable would be needed. As it is, people can just plug their Clou Blue or Cardas into the HD650 and they're probably good to go.

Oct 19, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #41 of 47
Jan: Your comments about the recessed treble are quite interesting. Personally, I've found that the Clou Blue cable opens up and really brings out the treble in the HD580s. Perhaps the HD650s, like the 580/600s really do want an upgraded cable?

Also, your comments about the pricing policy interest me. Does this mean that the HD650s will remain at the 400 Euro/400 dollar range for their lifetime?

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #42 of 47
Dear Erikzen,

> I was just wondering if using a more powerful amp was really going to change the character of the DT931 or am I already getting a good taste of the phones?

I don't think it's a matter of power. The somewhat hot treble of the DT931 will also easily show any grain of the amplifier. A more smooth sound could be welcomed. Are the opamps of your META42 biased into class-A?

Jan

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

"I think the biggest "let-down" to present HD600 owners is the seemingly failure of Sennheiser to upgrad their cable. Of course Equinox, Cardas, Clou Bue are probably sighing with relief right now and are probably creating a customised cable just for the HD650.

Wait for my advertisement and you will be surprised!

:)

Jan, you got me really curious on this point !

Do you plan to sell aftermarket cables anytime soon ? I remember an email exchange about this. At the time it was just "perhaps". Is it sure now ? Any idea of how long it'll take ? Pricing perhaps ?

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by yan sp
-fier likes this phone for rock and trance/dance/hip-hop music.

So I agree with Canman maybe I won’t to join with CD3k team, maybe this phone were good as good as Sovkiller always tell about it but I can’t judge the phone because I never heard either.

Don’t be mad Sovkiller…..it only jokes….

Yan SP

yan, please do give this can a shot. if ever you don't like them you can always sell at a relatively small loss. Though I haven't heard the A1000, I have heard its brother the w1000. To my ears, cd3000 is much much better than w1000. Infact this phone is a great all-rounder and not just for hip/hop pop like people mentioned. Please do give them a try and see how it goes, you will never know
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, I am from indo too..(makassar specifically, studying in spore)
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

I don't think it's a matter of power. The somewhat hot treble of the DT931 will also easily show any grain of the amplifier. A more smooth sound could be welcomed. Are the opamps of your META42 biased into class-A?

Jan

I didn't build the amp myself and the builder didn't specify. At the time, I knew very little about electronics. (Well, I don't know much more now but I'm trying to learn!) Is there a way to tell by examining the circuit?

I also have a SuperMini amp that is biased to class A. I've compared both amps with the DT931 and find there is not much difference. If I had to make a comparison, I would say the SuperMini is cleaner, brighter, but more confined in its sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back