A set of headphones for me.
Mar 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

John E Woven

500+ Head-Fier
First, I'd like to introduce myself: My name is NOT John, but you can call me that. I'm pretty new to this, and I already know how much this is going to cost me. I am a member of several other sites, Hardforum being the main one (username there is Bbq).

Anyways, on to what I was asking:

I'm looking for a set of headphones. I have about $200 to spend.
- I'm not a big fan of huge, overpowering bass. I like bass to be accurate, tight, and not sound like farting.
- I'm a former musician, and if possible, said headphones should be quite accurate. It doesn't have to be dead on, but I would prefer something accurate. I hate EQ.
- I do not want a pair of on-ear headphones, IEM's, earbuds, or ear-clip type headphones such as the Koss KSC-75. A wide soundstage is important to me.
- Open or closed, it doesn't particularly matter to me. These will only be used when I am at home.
- I may or may not amp these in the future; Probably not though.
- I don't have perfect hearing. Quite the contrary; From hearing tests several years back, I have roughly 20% hearing loss for the upper ranges in my left ear, and 20% on my right ear.
- I have heard the Sennheiser HD-555 and HD-595. I did not particularly enjoy them. I currently use the JVC HA-FX55 on my iPod, and I do think that the bass is quite sloppy and imprecise.

Source: A computer. Integrated sound at the moment, but a dedicated soundcard in the future (XFi or something) playing FLAC / 192kb< MP3

Do note that I live in Canada.

Thanks for the help.

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 20
Don't want to steal your fire, but here's a bump for someone in the same boat.
Also a member of [H], looking to spend $200, and all the points listed under it.
except that I probably will end up getting a amp later, and have a half-finished mini^3 back home.
I've heard the senn 555's, but not the hd-595
Same source, but playing 320kbps mp3's
Living in US

I'm leaning towards a k601 right now.. I'm just worried about the amp.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 20
After a few hours looking (on my phone, no less), I've come up with several conclusions:

1. Grado's are either very comfortable or very uncomfortable, depending on who you ask.
2. Beyerdynamic DT770 is like a pair of subwoofers; Thus, not suitable for my needs
3. Denon D2000 seems to be what I want, but it's a bit over my price. Anything similar?
4. Audiotechnica A900 could also be a contender.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 20
DT-880. <that is an emphasis period as well

If you do go for audio technica, get the open version (ie: AD700 vs A700). Closed phones sacrifice sound quality for being closed (imho)

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you do go for audio technica, get the open version (ie: AD700 vs A700). Closed phones sacrifice sound quality for being closed (imho)

DT880 needs an amp though.
I second that AD700 over A700 - slightly colored midrange though.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 20
My iPod (jack out) can power my DT-880's to about 75% the volume of my AD-700's (when I had them) so he will just not be able to really crank them until he gets an amp. And after hearing how smooth DT-880 is, he will get an amp :p

Unamped, the two sound very similar - the diffrence is that the AD-700's are operating to their potential with a decent soundcard and DT-800 is being broken by the soundcard.

"slightly colored midrange" - true, but what headphone around 120$ doesn't have slight coloration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 needs an amp though.
I second that AD700 over A700 - slightly colored midrange though.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

"slightly colored midrange" - true, but what headphone around 120$ doesn't have slight coloration?

Sony V6- really boring sound though
biggrin.gif

D1000 - not very colored, just has more bass
HD25-I - little higher priced than 120 though.

AT's have slightly more coloration than many other companie's 'phones (it's their signiture coloration) save for grado etc. I generally like that coloration though, but not everyone likes them.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a few hours looking (on my phone, no less), I've come up with several conclusions:

1. Grado's are either very comfortable or very uncomfortable, depending on who you ask.
2. Beyerdynamic DT770 is like a pair of subwoofers; Thus, not suitable for my needs
3. Denon D2000 seems to be what I want, but it's a bit over my price. Anything similar?
4. Audiotechnica A900 could also be a contender.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

How about D1000s? they're about 100 bucks and sounds very good.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

John E Woven: you might want to try D1000s - if you have regular sized ears

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Grados are good for a upfront guitar sound. Whenever I listen to rock I'm surprised with the details I can hear on my SR80s. The guitar always sounds ahead of the other instruments to me. The Sr80s aren't too bad comfort wise with RatShack pads underneath
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 20
The Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds like a perfect fit for you. It is mostly neutral, but tipped slightly forward up top. If you have some hearing loss up there, that should come across nicely for you. You can find them for about $180 on eBay, which is in your budget.

Except for the amp part. They do need one to perform their best. There are options between $100-$250 that are pretty good. Would you be willing to consider that?

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Noted. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so do i call you woven? =D

My real name is Ryan; I do prefer being called Bbq, but John would work too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John E Woven: you might want to try D1000s - if you have regular sized ears

Alright. I used an extremely scientific method of finding out, which is called a ruler. And here's what I've come up with:
earnd0.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds like a perfect fit for you. It is mostly neutral, but tipped slightly forward up top. If you have some hearing loss up there, that should come across nicely for you. You can find them for about $180 on eBay, which is in your budget.

Except for the amp part. They do need one to perform their best. There are options between $100-$250 that are pretty good. Would you be willing to consider that?

I may consider an amplifier at a later date. Not now though.

And as for the hearing loss bit, it's different on both sides, which can be quite aggrivating at times. More than enough to notice it, not enough to cash in.

I also forgot to mention what I listen to, which might make a big difference. Pretty much everything except hip-hop/rap, and pop. My favorite album is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 20
yeah really can't recommend the dt880 with it not being amped, haven't heard it but any 250 ohm phone without an amp would be, well, cringe-inducing at least to hear about, if not to hear

grados sound like your lane, but particular senn models may do something for you

also- in response to the "my ipod can power to 75% volume" it's not just volume but the lack of current to really open up the cans delivery @ whatever the volume

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 20
Just to confuse things even more (not that I want to), How are the Ultrasone HFI-780's for my purpose?

Also, how comfortable would you say the D1000's are in terms of cushioning materials, padding thickness, clamping force, and how does the sound compare to the D2000?

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to confuse things even more (not that I want to), How are the Ultrasone HFI-780's for my purpose?

Also, how comfortable would you say the D1000's are in terms of cushioning materials, padding thickness, clamping force, and how does the sound compare to the D2000?

Let me put it this way - you're comparing two headphones in two different price ($150 VS $300) is w range in the same product line...

Anyway, from looking at pictures I would guess the d2000 will be more comfortable. It has bigger ear cups and looks like theres more cushioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back