A scam?
Dec 22, 2003 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
I got a call from a lady who said she was from ancestery.com. It is a legit site. She asked for the last six digits of my credit card number. Is this common practice for web sites when you're membership has expired? This is the first time a company has asked for this from me over the phone. It seem to me if they would want this info they would do it over a secured email or website.

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
DO NOT give this person your credit card numbers!! Yes, it definitely could be a scam. I wouldn't take any chances.

I agree with Magic77

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Never give your info out over the phone unless you initiate the call.

Somebody likely pulled a printout with the site's name on it from your trash and decided to try their luck on getting your CC number from you.

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Did you get their "name"? I would report them to the real website.

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 10
I would assume that if they needed some personal info that they would ask for it via email.

If you suspect a scam I would try and get the phone company to help out by trying to trace the caller for you while you alert the police to the attempted scam.

I wonder why they only asked for the last 6 of the CC? Is this their verification process listed on their website? You might want to check to make sure on way or the other.

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
This defenitly is fishy. I signed up for a telemarketer do not call list about six months ago.

I doubt that scam artists would pay much attention to the Government's list. They change addresses and numbers so fast it is hard to track them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back