A roundup of microdriver IEM's
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 74
just got the fxd70's. so far i really like them. i would say a definite upgrade from the old fxc 51's. bass is done tastefully. and while the highs seem a bit grainy or hissy, im hopeful they'll tone down after some burn in. nice soundstage though 

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 74
Just wanted to add another to the list:
KEF M200
Havi B3(dual micro drivers)

Seems that they are gaining popularity in designs from top companies as well as smaller Chinese brands too.

I wonder if they are easier or better to engineer around... Man I just find them so appealing. I wonder if they will take the place of balanced armatures in the years to come... From what I gather, seems that companies like JVC seem to think BA's are quite inferior to dynamic drivers to begin with. Seems the main reason for BA's is their small size. But now that dynamics can be shrunk down, I would imagine that the usefullness of BA's are becoming more unnecessary. Just a thought anyways...

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 74
just got the fxd70's. so far i really like them. i would say a definite upgrade from the old fxc 51's. bass is done tastefully. and while the highs seem a bit grainy or hissy, im hopeful they'll tone down after some burn in. nice soundstage though 

Seriously, what was I talking about. I actually ended up detesting the fxd70. Sounds very closed in and the treble is grainy. No sense of space at all. I've burned them for about two weeks too. Really didn't like those afterall. Fxc51 is better in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #25 of 74
Please, take your time. Post them at your convenience.

I would have to agree with you. Top/front mounted drivers and microdrivers are really something special. If I could I would compare all of them. I hope to see more uses and designs in the future

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 74
My issue with the Shure SE215 has nothing todo with the drivers or the sound - I simply don't like the thick memory wire ear loops. These manufacturers need to provide a way to remove the outer memory wire covering so that those of us that wear glasses and/or have ears that do not match well with heavy memory wire can wear the SE215 without constantly needing to fiddle with them. I am very sad to see Westone and several of the other IEM mfrs jump on the memory wire bandwagon.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 74
It just dawned on me that there seems to be a shift away from the earlier or more traditional front mounting of the microdriver. Designs like the fxt90, and fxz200 series come to mind as well as the famed sennheiser ie800. They all have the microdrivers inside of a housing, out of the ear canal.

You can also see this in the new ATH im50 & im70. Dual microdrivers inside of a housing, away from the ear canal. I wonder if there are benefits to that style. I would think that is kind of a step backwards but I'm not sure.

You can see a shift from the likes of the JVC fxc51/71 and fxd80/70/60 as well as the miles Davis trumpet and Yamaha eph100, to the newer fxt90 and fxz100/200 and the ATH im50/70 as well as the havi b3.

It will be interesting to see where they end up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back