A review of X-Feed (Standalone crossfeed)
Sep 5, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #121 of 165
Hopefully soon I will be done with the major side projects and will finally have my new servers running so I can have some quality time with my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm wondering if it would be worth wile to add crossfeed inside of the Headmaster. I might be talking to Carlo to get his upgrades for the Headmaster in the near future. Maybe he would agree to add your X-Feed board in to the signal path and a switch in front of the unit
tongue.gif
This would be nice

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #122 of 165
I just got my X-feed Mk4. I wonder what is the burn in time on the x-feed, because as of about 20 hours of listening I am not overwhelmed. If anything the soundstage appears much smaller and focussed. There also seems to be a significant dimunition of both the top end as well as the bottom. Just using the ADDAC passthrough of my sharp amp sounds better than using the X-feed. Any opiinons?

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #123 of 165
Maybe I am just one of the unfortunate fewwho prefers the extreme stereo separation to the effects of crossfeed. This is not as much fun as I had hoped.

Sep 8, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #126 of 165
As per my pm to Mike, I am not griping. I'm sure this works really well. It might be that I just like an incredibly bright sound and just need some geting used to the x-feed. I would n't return it yet. Thanks anyway to Mike for the offer.

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #127 of 165
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Maybe I am just one of the unfortunate fewwho prefers the extreme stereo separation to the effects of crossfeed. This is not as much fun as I had hoped.

Personally I prefer flat stereo (standard) but I can certainly hear what Crossfeed aims to acheive...

...Thats only because i've gone ten years with listening to 'phones in the 'conventional' way... maybe if I allowed myself more time to adjust..........

...Crossfeed as a phenomenen isn't for everyone... but for those it suits... this, as shown is a very well renowned unit...

(I think I have the MKII version, if thats of any help / consolation to anyone)

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #129 of 165
I er, *cough* took a de-potting compound to the Pinky X-Feed to duplicate it in my Max WART42 (damned Japanese eh? always nicking stuff
evil_smiley.gif
) parts of which are now a very crispy shade of brown due to a slight accident.

The Pinky X-feed effect is very subtle. I was quite averse to sticking even more resistors and capacitors in the signal path at first, but it does fully achieve what it sets out to do. That said I don't use it that often.

I haven't quite able to gauge whether it affects the listening fatigue levels on a positive way. What I'll do is probably to make an in-line one to listen portably, see if that makes a difference.

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #131 of 165
Damn. I wondered where all that yellow fur came from.

Oh, just a thought pinky but the standard design of whatever version it is I have could be built into something like a Hammond 1551GGY for use as an in-line unit for standard META users.

Sep 13, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #133 of 165
Hi Pink Floyd,
I never heard back from the gent who built the portable crossfeed (forget his name now, it was a couple months ago). I'm just wondering: how small do you think you could make your crossfeed and could you make one with mini-plugs in and out? Sorry if I missed some technical point along the line that would prohibit this.

I'm starting to get back into using my Senn 600s a bit and I really need crossfeed. I got used to it with my Airhead (theirs also boosted the bass, which, as a devoted basshead, I also liked). Listening without crossfeed the soundstage through cans is like, well, where the hell is it?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm used to my Spicas speakers throwing a tangible soundstage directly before me and that's pretty much the way I'd say natural listening takes place. My old Airhead sort of did that for me, and now listening without crossfeed feels like Nick Cave and the Bad seeds are singing in the middle of brain. Huh?

Anyway, me needs me crossfeed, can you shrink your baby? Would a plastic case be a bad thing. I'm thinking portability.

Sep 15, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #135 of 165
That looks like a nice small one! No mini plug versions?
frown.gif

I don't understand where your x-feed fits into the component chain. Between the source (CD, turntable) and the amp? That's all I can guess from the dual set of RCAs.
confused.gif
How could I work yours with a portable set up? I guess I could even work with RCAs in and then eiter a miniplug or stand headphone jack out. But maybe yours is a different x-feed design and needs to work at line level only?

This is the one you pointed out to me before and is sort of the arrangement I'm looking for

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...=4048&fdays=20

Man, that guy sijiosae must have steady fingers. I wish I could get in touch with him, but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back