A reminder to all: BACKUP YOUR MUSIC FOLDER!
Jan 18, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 27
If you're serious about backup, RAID alone doesn't cut it at all. Offsite backup is essential.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 27
I'm just waiting for the day that my sister is done with her film and I can steal her external terabyte drive in recompense for her stealing my Darth Beyers!

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 27
Multiple copies, although its a pain to keep in sync.

samsung spinpoint 250 as the storage drive on my office system. I keep a backup on the corporate NAS. I keep Flacs on this pair of drives, and listen with my office setup (seen below). I have not been brave enough to tune out my family at home with headphones, and just listen thru speakers (iFi)

I keep most the files and sync MP3 with an 80 gig USB drive. I have most of this on a 20gig ipod, should have all of it when I upgrade to 60gig for my birthday.

At home I have a Simpletech NAS with my MP3s on it, as my kids will use some of it on their iPods.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 27
After I lost most of my music several years ago (it forced me to re-rip everything in lossless so it wasn't a total catastrophe) all my data is now stored on a RAID1 on my home server, which is protected by a beefy UPS. I also have 2 external drives and the obligatory DVD burner for further redundancy. Unfortunately some data loss is the usual initiator of a back-up policy - good luck, saturnine and thanks for the reminder!
plainface.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 27
Having recently lost 800 GB of painstakingly acquired data I wholehartedly concur - backup good
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I have yet to find a solution that allows backing up 1.5 TB at an affordable price...

RAID 1 is sorta pricy for those quantities... and hardware RAID 5/6 for 12 disk is not exactly cheap either - and software RAID 5 is what cost me the 800 GB in the first place...

So currently I rely on luck and a good data recovery program
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 27
800 GB?!
blink.gif
Well, I hate to say it but if you have that much music, Raid 1 may be worth the time and effort it takes to rip all of those cds. I plan to go raid very soon because re-ripping cds is hell. Good luck with your recovery, especially because you'll probably have to relableeerything. Yikes...

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #23 of 27
RAID is cool but you can still lose information if you or a virus delete the information from the drives. It'll just help from mechanical failure.

I'm trying to get my RAID1 going again. I'm not sure if I want to build a whole other computer or gen a NAS appliance.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 27
Actually, with hard drives, you usually DO know when it will happen:

*click whiiiiirrr...... click whiiiiirrr....*

Happened to me once. Got all the importand data off, chucked in a new drive, reinstalled windows, and was happily on my way again. All the music on my Zen is on my PC, and all my important music is also backed up onto an external drive. I need to finish backing it up at sometime...

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #25 of 27
I run a RAID mirror on an OpenBSD server for backing up my files. I'm not really worried about hacking or virii; I'm only worried about the rare chance that both drives will die at once.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #26 of 27
i plan to get a large storage drive (probably a seagate, i've heard that they're the absolute best reliability-wise) and a second one in an well ventilated external enclosure which will usually be off and detached from the computer. that way if i get a virus it won't kill the music, and if i get an hd failure i've a backup. i highly doubt that both drives (the internal and external ones) would fail at the same time as each other

when blu-ray or hd-dvd becomes standard, backup will become much much easier

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
800 GB?!
blink.gif
Well, I hate to say it but if you have that much music, Raid 1 may be worth the time and effort it takes to rip all of those cds. I plan to go raid very soon because re-ripping cds is hell. Good luck with your recovery, especially because you'll probably have to relableeerything. Yikes...

Well actually most of my music collection was on a different raid set so no major re-ripping game for me - the silly thing is that each and every drive of that raid set still works flawlessly on its own today so if only I hadn't attempted to protect myself from disaster with software raid I would have been ok, and either way never lost more than 200 GB at once...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back