A reminder to all: BACKUP YOUR MUSIC FOLDER!
Jan 18, 2006 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
Just want to send out a reminder to everyone out there who keeps their music on a HD to make backups! My main storage drive went out today (completely dead, been working on restoring at least some of the data all day), but thankfully I made a backup of the music folder a few weeks before. If there was no backup, I probably wouldn't be typing this as my rig would have been thrown out the window & set on fire
very_evil_smiley.gif
I still lost a lot of downloaded applications & some important work, but nothing that cannot be re-downloaded or re-completed.

You never know when your drive(s) might die, so take a few min/hours out of your busy life to make a backup. Words of wisdom
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 27
Actually I do buy CDs, and have plenty of them
smily_headphones1.gif
It takes a lot of time to rip 800+ albums, and I've sold a few of them. Also, someone stole a large 120? cd book from me a few years ago, and there were some rare discs in there that I ripped. I'd hate to have to re-buy them!

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 27
This is VERY good advice. I got a virus about a year ago and my whole computer got screwed to #$%^. Somehow my hardware even got messed, I didn't even know this was possible. I lost two hards drives, a 40 and a 120, and I also had to replace my motherboard. I lost all my school work, and all my music. It took a month to fix and two weeks to load all my music back with proper tags and everything.
eek.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revliskciuq
RAID1 is your friend.

More like an acquaintance. RAID6 is where it's at
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Also, someone stole a large 120? cd book from me a few years ago, and there were some rare discs in there that I ripped.

Oh dear.
eek.gif
I think I'd have to be institutionalized if someone stole my records.

Hmm....I wonder if insurers would cover CDs and/or hard drives.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 27
I have dual 300GB drives. I use Karen's Replicator to copy my music (among other things) nightly from my primary drive to the secondary drive. Once I get all my music ripped and the way I like it, I'm also going to keep a separate hard drive at my parent's place just in case. Now that's protection!

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 27
I recently got a 200 gig Maxtor external drive I'm planning to use in the future for just this thing. You never know when your hard drive is just going to start quitting... I've had it happen at least twice.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 27
Actually, I have few external hdd’s with external fans, all pointing to the drives and Pc. When all fans are on, I feel like inside the Miami International Airport, with a 777 in turbo mode. Not a single failure with this setup.

Sometimes, I wonder if my Pc is going to lift off, because all the fans.
eggosmile.gif

Seriously, is recommended to get few of those very small fans and dissipate heat around your PC and hardrives.

Thanks Saturnine for the reminder.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 27
Well on the bright side, you still have your Prada boots.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I've been thinking of setting up a NAS with RAID. The standalone units are a bit expensive. My alternative is to run some linux and full fledged computer but i don't feel like dealing with a "big" computer.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 27
hopefully one day im just going to build a terrabyte raid5 file server and not have to worry about this anymore.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
More like an acquaintance. RAID6 is where it's at
wink.gif

RAID6 is complicated and expensive, and in my opinion a bit much for said application. RAID1 is common, cheap, and easy to implement with very little knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back