A recommended Portable set up for 250 - 350 GBP, headphones, amp, etc
Oct 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DevilGin

Head-Fier
Hello and welcome to my thread :p 

I have saved roughly 250-350 GBP for a new set portable set this will include = 

Headphones =   SR325i or HD650 or something along those lines.

mini-amp = Suggestions please.

source = iphone 2G. 

music = metal, rock, drum and bass, electronica, classical.

I would like something that is easy to listen to because my ears are delicate, im not bothered about anything else really but feel free to ask questions. 

Thank you.

P.S. a carry box/case would be great if it came with.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah those two phones you have mentioned are "open", meaning they leek a lot of sound, and as such, are not suitable for quiet areas and trains etc. You will want to be looking at closed back option for a portable rig, possibly some IEMs instead?

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Well i also have a pair of HD448 which are closed. But i dont know the problem i found with IEMs is that my ears are sensitive to highs so my ears end up ringing in some cases.

Is there and closed back headphones also my friend has a pair of Bose tri-port on-ears which sound  great in my opinion they are a bit over priced (120).

Also as long as i can hear it i dont care if other people can :p since when i have my headphones on usually no one is around to hear me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 8
It's not just a matter of others hearing you, you'll be able to hear them! If you're commuting on a subway, train or bus, the noise will leak in and ruin the sound of an open pair of headphones. Consider some closed back portables like the ATH ES9/10s. As for your ears being sensitive to IEMs, probably means you haven't found the right pair, or worse, you're not getting the seal right and are playing them way too loud.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 8
The HD 650 are not generally considered a portable headphone, primarily because they're open (as stated, outside sounds will invade your listening and others in your vicinity will hear the music you're listening too) and they require a powerful amp (i.e. OTL tube) to sound their best, not to mention they're very large, with a heavy cable that will require a 3.5mm adapter for use with a portable player. I believe the Grado's can be driven well out of a portable player, but they're also open, and quite delicate I understand.

For portable listening I use the Westone UM3X and Sennheiser HD 25-1.

To my ears, the UM3X do not have piercing highs at all, their sound is quite neutral, if slightly on the warm and laid back side. The UM3X - or IEMs in general - are fantastic for portable listening; they take up no room and are discrete when worn, they provide probably the best isolation of any headphone type and are generally easily driven by portable players. The sound from the UM3X is superb, providing you're listening to lossless audio you'll get a true high fidelity listening experience (i.e. in the same league as the HD 650), in my opinion.

The HD 25-1 are a very robust and comfortable closed headphone. Again the sound is superb (though it doesn't match the detail and separation, etc. of the UM3X - but then they are close to half the price). They are however somewhat less discrete looking to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back