A Recommendation on Open-back Cans up to USD 300
Dec 24, 2017 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ansehelm

New Head-Fier
Good day and Merry Xmas everyone. Am currently looking for an open back cans that are within USD 300. A few notes here:
  • Currently I am using AKG K553 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with JDS Labs O2 + ODac. I love the sound and soundstage of AKG K553 very much.
  • Most of the time I'm listening to modern composition, ambient, drones and field-recordings, but some time might be listening to pop, rock, metal and other genres. So I am seeking for something versatile, I guess.
  • Also will be using the headphone for some minor gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG), but positioning accuracy is not my concern.
  • Need not something that is too emphasizing on bass, however a little more tuned-up bass is welcoming.
I've narrowed my choices down to:
  • Beyer DT880
  • Beyer DT990
  • AKG K7XX
  • Philips Fidelio X2/HR
Due to the region I am currently living in lack of a place to audit the above cans, I can only seek out recommendation here. Thanks :)

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Dont forget the HifiMan HE-4xx ,,,,,Watch and read the reviews

Thanks for reply! Yea I've learned about HE-400i, however since I've never auditioned any planar magnetic cans before (and probably no chance to audit one in foreseeable future), so I've decided to play safe and go with the good ol' dynamic. However for those cans listed above, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for reply! Mind I know the reason for you to pick this one out of those listed above?

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 14
AKG makes great cans for your tastes, I think those would be a better versatile pick than the X2 which I've heard is muddy and rough

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 14
TBH, I don't think you could go wrong with any of these cans as long as they're properly driven.

To my ears, I'd say the DT880 is the most versatile followed closely by the AKG (mine are Q701s). The 880's require more power to drive them but there are also 32 Ohm versions which may not be as power hungry.

I thought I read somewhere the DT990s are solid cans for gaming. They're also a fun listen (more V-shaped than the 880s) but can be fatiguing depending on the music/recording quality.

The X2's seem to get mixed reviews from folks -- from being a previous Wall of Fame can on Innerfidelity to comments like Cossix has heard. I recently got a pair for $140 and am very happy with them. In his review, Tyll even says...

"I do think the X2 is the first headphone in the mid-priced, open headphone class that might deliver a superior listening experience [to the HD600]. Bass response of the X2 is tighter and significantly more satisfying in level. Treble response is a little less grainy on the HD 600, but it doesn't seems as well balanced. Image width and depth is much better on the X2. Mid-range is about the same on both, but the overall impression of the sound is much nicer on the X2. It's almost as if everything is accentuated on the X2, the overall balance is so good it's as if you get instant access to the whole of the music."

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 14
The K7XX has a big soundstage, is great for any type of gaming and the bass is not too crazy but it has been tuned up 3dB by AKG. All in all it's a very versatile headphone, not my top pick within that price range but it's still very good and super comfy. All the ones you listed besides the X2 will definitely need an amp except the 32 Ohm Beyer models but I've heard the 32 Ohm models aren't the best sounding and the 250 Ohm is the sweet spot in the 32-600 Ohm range they have.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 14
AKG makes great cans for your tastes, I think those would be a better versatile pick than the X2 which I've heard is muddy and rough

TBH, I don't think you could go wrong with any of these cans as long as they're properly driven.

To my ears, I'd say the DT880 is the most versatile followed closely by the AKG (mine are Q701s). The 880's require more power to drive them but there are also 32 Ohm versions which may not be as power hungry.

I thought I read somewhere the DT990s are solid cans for gaming. They're also a fun listen (more V-shaped than the 880s) but can be fatiguing depending on the music/recording quality.

The X2's seem to get mixed reviews from folks -- from being a previous Wall of Fame can on Innerfidelity to comments like Cossix has heard. I recently got a pair for $140 and am very happy with them. In his review, Tyll even says...

"I do think the X2 is the first headphone in the mid-priced, open headphone class that might deliver a superior listening experience [to the HD600]. Bass response of the X2 is tighter and significantly more satisfying in level. Treble response is a little less grainy on the HD 600, but it doesn't seems as well balanced. Image width and depth is much better on the X2. Mid-range is about the same on both, but the overall impression of the sound is much nicer on the X2. It's almost as if everything is accentuated on the X2, the overall balance is so good it's as if you get instant access to the whole of the music."

Thanks for you both's insights into the X2, and now I leaning towards K7XX more than the other 3 listed cans :beyersmile:

The K7XX has a big soundstage, is great for any type of gaming and the bass is not too crazy but it has been tuned up 3dB by AKG. All in all it's a very versatile headphone, not my top pick within that price range but it's still very good and super comfy. All the ones you listed besides the X2 will definitely need an amp except the 32 Ohm Beyer models but I've heard the 32 Ohm models aren't the best sounding and the 250 Ohm is the sweet spot in the 32-600 Ohm range they have.

Glad to know that the bass has been tuned up :D I'm not a bass head but a lil'bitta additional bass is always welcoming when listening to mainstream songs.

Anyway there should be no problem for my JDS O2 ODac to drive any of the listed cans I guess. However I have some concern regarding the build quality of K7XX, anyone mind shed some light on this matter?

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for you both's insights into the X2, and now I leaning towards K7XX more than the other 3 listed cans :beyersmile:

Glad to know that the bass has been tuned up :D I'm not a bass head but a lil'bitta additional bass is always welcoming when listening to mainstream songs.

Anyway there should be no problem for my JDS O2 ODac to drive any of the listed cans I guess. However I have some concern regarding the build quality of K7XX, anyone mind shed some light on this matter?
I have the O2+ODAC and use it with my K712 and as expected it sounds like acoustic perfection.

As for the K7XX since it's Massdrop made in China it's bound to have lower quality construction which is why they got the price down so much but I've never heard of K7XXs being broken so easily.

I think currently every AKG headphone is made in China if I'm not wrong except for their top 3 models - K712, K812 and K872.

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 14
I have the O2+ODAC and use it with my K712 and as expected it sounds like acoustic perfection.

As for the K7XX since it's Massdrop made in China it's bound to have lower quality construction which is why they got the price down so much but I've never heard of K7XXs being broken so easily.

I think currently every AKG headphone is made in China if I'm not wrong except for their top 3 models - K712, K812 and K872.

No quality issues with my Q701s made in China; great sound, comfortable

No interest in the HD 6XX? A true classic. For good reason.

They always say that it is one that everyone should own at least at some point. Scales great and a common point of reference in reviews.

Good callout on the HD6XX...they also have the HD-58X Jubilee for $149. Great time to be buying mid-fi headphones!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for reply! Yea I've learned about HE-400i, however since I've never auditioned any planar magnetic cans before (and probably no chance to audit one in foreseeable future), so I've decided to play safe and go with the good ol' dynamic. However for those cans listed above, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for reply! Mind I know the reason for you to pick this one out of those listed above?
Once you go planar you never want to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back