A Real Use for Bose QC
Jul 21, 2007 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FlyByNight

Head-Fier
No, seriously. I'm surprised to have found only passing reference to this in the threads. Here's the deal:

I travel a lot on transatlantic flights and long-haul commuter buses. Despite the multitude of statements elsewhere claiming total sound isolation with IEMs, my experience does NOT bear that out. Plenty of outside sound comes through, particularly at lower frequencies--and that's with either Shure black foamies or the long ComPly's. I have no experience with Customs.

The other issue with IEMs: On United at any rate, if you have a pair of low-impedance IEMs plugged straight into the airplane sound system, you will get your eardrums BLASTED when the pilot or stewardess comes on with an announcement. It's something in their sound override system. I found this out the hard way on my first flight with UM-2s--I about hit the ceiling. Literally painful.

On the other hand, the Bose QC2 really works to knock down low-freq engine roar/rumble, and is compatible with the aircraft sound system; but it lets voices straight through, and horribly bloats musical bass while sucking out the mids.

So, the solution: I put in IEMs and hook them to my iPod; then put the Bose QC2 right on top, and plug them into the aircraft. That way I have effective sound reduction across the spectrum (but can still hear voices when the music is off). I can listen to high-SQ music via IEM, or the movie soundtrack through the Bose. On the commuter bus, I just unplug the Bose audio cord and wear them strictly for the noise reduction.

I admit it's a pricey solution. But it's still half the cost of custom IEMs; and my frequent air travel plus daily 2+ hours on the commuter bus make it worthwhile to me. (I considered the Plane Quiet Solitude NR headset, which is $100 cheaper than Bose for the same performance; but reviews say it clamps more tightly on the head and has less inside clearance, which may make it press against IEMs).

Long post but as I say I have not seen this in any previous threads; and at least it might save someone else's eardrums before they plug an IEM into their armrest!

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 12
I haven't tried the QC2s but I found that the ATH-ANC7s do a much better job of noise cancelling than the (original) QCs (and much cheaper than the QC2s).

I travel with UM2s for music on my portable player and ATH-ANC7s for movies on the plane, etc (I am paranoid to plug my precious UM2s into the airplane jacks for fear of blowing away my ear drums or the drivers in the IEMs).

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 12
don't flanges reduce more evenly across the spectrum?

and i was thinking the same thing when i read the first line about transportation. and yeah, would the huge sound isolating earwarmers be a cheaper solution sans the voice thing? the ones people have put like ksc75 drivers inside.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 12
Nice! Finally some "real" use for a pair of BOSE headphones.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Bose? What's that?
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, live and learn, Bose doesn't even have the corner on this niche application! I wish I'd've known about the Audio-Technicas, somehow those did not come up in my searches a few months ago. Lots cheaper; and they might double as decent cans in the hotel room too. I bet I could sell the Bose on eBay for more than the cost of new ATH-ANC7...

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyByNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet I could sell the Bose on eBay for more than the cost of new ATH-ANC7...

LOL!

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back