a quick question..
Jun 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fixit5561

New Head-Fier
I'll explain what Im doing. I need some suggestions on what kind of wire to use.

I put a power amp outside to run a set of speakers on my deck. I ran a line out from another stereo outside to the power amp. That stereo has an aux. in and I added a wall jack for that also to be able to plug in my mp3 player to be used through the system.

Here is what I want to do. I want to run a wire with 2 rca jacks, (left and right for the aux in plugged into an rca jack wall plate already installed) and terminate it with a 3.5mm plug ran up through my umbrella pole outside on the deck. Then drill a hole and add the switchcraft 3.5mm stereo jack to the umbrella pole so the wife can just plug in her mp3 to the umbrella pole turn on the stereo and she can use her mp3 to listen to music while on the deck outside.

I can not access below my deck to run a wire but can run the wire above the deck in the cracks between the boards on the deck. So I need a really thin wire. I have some old phone wire the flat stuff made to extend a phone.

My question is. The flat phone line will fit inbetween the deck boards no problem. Can I use this wire? It is just going to be a signal wire from the mp3 player to the stereo jacks aux input and it is about 24-26 gauge stranded wire, and will be around 35 ft long.

Or should I go out and get some different type of wire that is more suited for this type of data transfer? If so what type of wire and where can I get it from for cheap?

I looked at cat5e wire at HD and Lowes and it is all solid core, no stranded at all. Could I use solid core for this application?

[edit]I have searched the forum for any info about this type wire and subject and only really found info about using cat5 for speaker wire and the such.

Thanks
Brian

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Anything is possible, but before you sink a lot of money on cable and connectors I would consider a Squeezebox. You can get the wireless remote with titles and album art on the remote and have everything inside the house. You can stream all of your mp3's from your PC via the squeezebox receiver.
Squeezebox™ Duet Network Music System: Listen to the music you love in any room in your home

Long runs of cable with such a small signal may have adverse results (sound horrible).

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Well I hooked it up with phone wire the flat stuff and it works fine. No interference yet!
smily_headphones1.gif
But I do plan to rerun it and use the mic wire with the pvc jacket. I think that would stand up best to the weather.

I was able to run the wire under the deck also so that is a plus too. When I get the mic wire Ill just use the phone wire to pull the mic wire to where I want it.

Thanks for the help guys I do appreciate it very much. You guys are #1 in my book!
Brian

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 7
so you are wiring up an umbrella pole so your wife can plug into that...will she then be connected by headphones to the mp3 player to the umbrella pole?
will you be encouraging her to listen to music under the umbrella in the rain...or lightning strike?
smily_headphones1.gif

sounds like a massive wiring job
x2 on squeezebox!

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
heheheh

A lightning storm hmmm you gave me an idea!! LOL I also use it of course but wanted to make it easy as I could for her and for myself of course!
smily_headphones1.gif

No it wasnt really that big of a wiring job. I was under a part of my deck that is next to the pool anyways, and it is pretty high, to wire to, the stereo on the pool. I have a dougboy pool that has a marine stereo and 4 speakers on the top rail, semi built in, here is a link, http://www.classicpoolandspa.com/pdf...ertainment.pdf .

It has an aux out and aux in, and I ran that (aux out) to the power amp, while doing that I ran the wire for the aux in for the mp3 player at the same time. The only hard part was fishing the wire under the shorter deck and that really only took about 5 minutes. The wire goes up through the deck under the umbrella pole weight then through the weight and then into the umbrella pole itself. Solder on a switchcraft 3.5mm jack and it was done. It wasnt really that hard.

My umbrella pole sits off to one side inside the pole weight, so i drilled trhough the weight on the side the pole wasnt on. Then drilled a hole about 6" up on the pole itself and put a rubber grommet in the holes so the wires wouldnt get cut from any movement if there is any. Then ran it out of the top of the pole and soldered the 3.5mm. I did this in my shop, through the weight and the pole.

Then ran the wire under the deck and soldered the rca conectors outside after the wire was ran. They all go into a waterproof enclosure that is mounted on the wall of the taller deck. It works great.

I can turn down the stereo on the pool and then turn on the power amp on the lower deck, plug in the mp3 player and use the volume control on the mp3 to adjust the volume on the system. I wanted to do this because the pool system is farther away (closer the the neighbors house) and it just doesnt have the sound I wanted on the lower deck. Plus I sit out at night pretty late smoking cigars and drinking scotch, and didnt want to bother the next door neighbor with my listening to the stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes I know why not just hook up the IEM's then it wont bother anyone. Well while driniung scotch, I really dont want to chance ruining my IEM's
smily_headphones1.gif

The big plus is the cost, it only cost me round $15.00 to run the wire and buy the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back