A Questionnaire About Use Scenarios of FiiO Q1MKII/Q3
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FiiO

Sponsor: FiiO
Recently, FiiO has released the USB audio adapter, KA3. Meanwhile, the portable DAC and amplifier Q1MKII and Q3 are hot-selling. To design and develop more appropriate products for you, we are eager to know your needs in daily use scenarios. Therefore, we would like to invite you to fill in the questionnaire below. Thank you so much for your support.

Link: https://forms.gle/bt8UnPhWD6hYNzsu5

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 21
I filled out the questionnaire, but I understand that it absolutely does not reflect my real desires.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 21
right now I'm using the M11Pro SS stacked to the ifi Diablo.... with this stack I get USB, Wireless, direct connect via OTG, Airplay connection options and as to output its got them all... Balanced in, balanced out, 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm, 4.4mm and 1/4 inch... wireless and more power output... at 5 watts... AKM DAC and BurrBrown DAC ... THX specs...
its got it all... the ONLY thing I wish it had was support for Apple Music.... then it would be perfect as it does every thing else quite well.... DSD, MQA....
It doesn't get any better... at least I haven't found anything that will do more than this stack... one thing that would be super nice is if it had HDMI output and support for ATMOS and DTS.... that would be really cool....

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 21
Apple Music support is a huge one for me. Apple gets big quick and I am hoping for great things with Apple Music.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 21
I find it strange it asked for only a single selection for the first question. "How do you use a USB Amp/DAC". I use it very regularly for both Android AND Laptop, but use a Jotenhiem for my PC.

Simple List:
Balanced out
Internal battery
Dual Type-C (One for powering and/or signal, with the other being ONLY signal to not use power from what ever device you are using). Alternatively a switch you can turn of the supply of power to the Dac/amp. Or even a 3-way switch 1: Normal charge/signal 2: Signal only, uses the internal battery to run the cans, and 3: Disconnect the internal battery and only run from the power of the type-c to save wear on the internal battery.
Bluetooth for when I watch movies on my couch

Basically a BTR3k or BTR5 with dual type-cs, or an EarMen Colibri with Bluetooth. Doesn't even NEED crazy specs. Heck even just a BTR1k with dual Type-Cs

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 21
yes, questionaire was specifically for an ‘entry level’ DAC/amp;
questions like “which is your preference”?
a)line in > usb in
b)usb in > line in
.........fail when we do not clarify whether ‘usb input’ supports gaming consoles.

eg i keep a fiio q5 (earlier version) handy for taking the ‘line out’(headphone output) from the playstation controller and amping that signal.
I do that if my USB DAC/amp cannot plug direct into console. (at which point ‘line in’ becomes essential)

a few questions, without ‘qualifiers’ might lead to misrepresented statistics for/against features that may/may not be sought.

eg ‘i want usb support’ (for consoles), is more important than most everything else on the list (if only because everything on that list is doable with present toys/do-dads and do-hickeys).
glad FiiO ask, and I hope that the info can prove handy.

stuff like whether we prefer our playback kit on a short cable and rubberbanded to ‘the rest of the stack’. that IS what this hobby is about, surely....
64C4DF7D-5A9E-49CE-9F11-BE6D653772C8.jpeg

eg an iFi Diablo is the same proportions as a ‘folded’ Samsung Fold
a Sony pha3 is the same proportions as a FiiO m11+

and a stack of cards is the same as a stack of kit, such as an Onkyo ha200 (paired with a music player/DAP). coincidence?

entertainment is pocketable.
i find entertainment in my pockets always... (playstation Vita/nintendo Switch ‘not included’)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 21
If there's ONE brand out there that could / should surorise the audiophile world then it would be FiiO, for instance by releasing a true wireless, modular FD7 to do away with Bluetooth earhooks, DACs, amps, cables, and connectors all together. As long as you make the IEM upgradable DAC-wise. There's a LOT of space left between the current shape of the FD7 and the edges of the ear. If Sony can do it, I'm sure FiiO can do it better for audiophiles.

drftr

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 21
yes, questionaire was specifically for an ‘entry level’ DAC/amp;
questions like “which is your preference”?
a)line in > usb in
b)usb in > line in
.........fail when we do not clarify whether ‘usb input’ supports gaming consoles.

eg i keep a fiio q5 (earlier version) handy for taking the ‘line out’(headphone output) from the playstation controller and amping that signal.
I do that if my USB DAC/amp cannot plug direct into console. (at which point ‘line in’ becomes essential)

a few questions, without ‘qualifiers’ might lead to misrepresented statistics for/against features that may/may not be sought.

eg ‘i want usb support’ (for consoles), is more important than most everything else on the list (if only because everything on that list is doable with present toys/do-dads and do-hickeys).
glad FiiO ask, and I hope that the info can prove handy.

stuff like whether we prefer our playback kit on a short cable and rubberbanded to ‘the rest of the stack’. that IS what this hobby is about, surely....
64C4DF7D-5A9E-49CE-9F11-BE6D653772C8.jpeg
eg an iFi Diablo is the same proportions as a ‘folded’ Samsung Fold
a Sony pha3 is the same proportions as a FiiO m11+

and a stack of cards is the same as a stack of kit, such as an Onkyo ha200 (paired with a music player/DAP). coincidence?

entertainment is pocketable.
i find entertainment in my pockets always... (playstation Vita/nintendo Switch ‘not included’)
I agree, the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 (maybe the switch? I don’t have one) don’t need licensed drivers anymore, the USB DAC just has to be a UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) device and it should work. The PlayStation 5 will even transmit it’s pre-mixed spatial audio through USB!

In fact, FiiO already has a few UAC1 devices. I was able to use my E10k with my PS4, and just for the sake of trying I even connected the coax out of the E10K to a high end setup. It would be a handy blog post just to see a list of UAC1 devices that FiiO makes. Still, a FiiO equivalent of the Schiit Fulla or Schiit Hel would be nice to see, with a headphone output and mic input.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 21
Recently, FiiO has released the USB audio adapter, KA3. Meanwhile, the portable DAC and amplifier Q1MKII and Q3 are hot-selling. To design and develop more appropriate products for you, we are eager to know your needs in daily use scenarios. Therefore, we would like to invite you to fill in the questionnaire below. Thank you so much for your support.

Link: https://forms.gle/bt8UnPhWD6hYNzsu5
Have a sound similar to cowon signature sound.
Cowon king of the Sound World

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 21
I agree, the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 (maybe the switch? I don’t have one) don’t need licensed drivers anymore, the USB DAC just has to be a UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) device and it should work. The PlayStation 5 will even transmit it’s pre-mixed spatial audio through USB!

In fact, FiiO already has a few UAC1 devices. I was able to use my E10k with my PS4, and just for the sake of trying I even connected the coax out of the E10K to a high end setup. It would be a handy blog post just to see a list of UAC1 devices that FiiO makes. Still, a FiiO equivalent of the Schiit Fulla or Schiit Hel would be nice to see, with a headphone output and mic input.
UAC1 and ‘full volume output’ (is my understanding), at least for the Playstation side of the coin.

The FiiO lineup has so many units that do BOTH nintendo and Playstation family consoles.
I have kept a few FiiOs for just such a great purpose.

The Creative E5 (and G6 etc?) do.
The onkyo ha200 does.
The Cambridge Dac magic range do..
Things like the Chord Hugo have multiple inputs for different UAC modes (1/2).

I used one of the Cambridge DACmagics’ as an ‘interpreter’ (allowed the Playstation to see a DAC and talk DACy for me), and then passed the signal on to ‘other DACs.
At the time I needed to do this, it was an iFi DAC that was invisible to the Playstation console.
Then iFi went and performed the ‘good deed’ of supporting existing in field units with new features through firmware upgrades (vs selling a new unit ONLY to get such a feature like dirty anti consumer businesses so often foister on the world). Like the many great companies like FiiO and iFi who ARE contactable and DO listen, iFi went and offered another Firmware that DOES Nintendo & Sony consoles..
A FiiO BTA30 does the duty really well too and basically can step up any system to add functions that they are likely missing. (bluetooth transmit or receive and CODEC range like APt X LL or LDAC). I really like Fiio as a business due to their after sales support regarding software updates and improvements.

A brief test with a lowly (entry level) FiiO bit of kit;
feeding an AptX (not AptX HD - “darn it!” Samsung)-ahem; test track through the FiiO BTA30
-running off a power feed from a USB cable plugged into the side of the houses’ 4G wireless modem (!)
-using the worlds cheapest spdif toslink cable (which even came with TWO 3.5mm jack tip pieces for compatibility with EVERYTHING)
into an entry level(‘ish) ladder DAC..
GAVE THE BEST RENDITION OF THE TEST TRACK I HAD HEARD ON A SYSTEM FOR YEARS..

imagine if I rested a 4K($) DAP on fairy wings and fed that same ladder DAC an ultra hi res recording?
(Using a USB cable that cost more than most peoples SUB WOOFERS surely...);
needless to say the FiiO box/‘range of bits’ that can pass the modern consoles sound out cleanly (and avoiding ‘jittery’ HDMI), are great additions to many a Home Hifi Rig.

The USB DAC approach for sound with the PS5 is probably the best bang for buck sound upgrade /for ‘immersion factor’ (HEADPHONES) that anyone could want..
The transmission to the controller runs at something akin to LDAC 990 or ‘lossless’ and is auditorially (is that a word?) transparent . (Its really good)
I believe it uses a Wolfson DAC chip and the battery power setup in the controller is crazy (remember that those dual haptic vibrators and feedback triggers need real power and kinda ‘on tap’). Well; by whatever miracle, the output makes for a realy good preamp feed to an off board AMP (ie “Line IN” fallback method; also ‘very convieniant’ and compatible with Nintendo 3DS and, well, everything with a Headphone jack basically..)
A tiny FiiO almost credit card (okay -maybe four, in a small stack) really picks up the soundstage width and makes picking enemies off easily, even when they are offscreen, just through clear audio positional cues.

As EVSHRUG has mentioned around the interwebs (good guy that he is) is about importance of HRTF quality (or ’matching’/tailoring) for the end user, is needed for best results.
I am happy to jump in and out of a level in Returnal trying the five default profiles, and each headphone in my collection surely has a different preference.
When set right, they ALL give excellent surround sound.
Vastly better than any other implementation I have ever experienced. (But that is a whole ‘nother story about the sound computer inside the PS5)
From the controller, I have mentioned a few times, some testing using ‘line in’ on various portable amps, when amplifying a feed from the controllers ‘head phone jack’;
going up in quality from the most basic/entry level headphone amp, would make the soundstage render a LOT MORE HEIGHT information..
Of course amps and headphones known for great sound staging and 3D space are going to give a different level of output so everyones ‘mileage will vary’...
Due to the nature of the evolution in sound positioning that the Sony tech is stabilising in the market (ie programmers ARE using it!), the benefit to gamers is tangible and in many ways unique/‘hasn’t been seen’.
A lot of headphone amps are going to sell regarding the consoles.
It was more than twenty years ago that David Bowie and others were bringing credibility to the fact that game music IS serious business.
Trent Reznor doin’ Quake soundtracks and,.. well..
Lets just say gaming and sound are IMPORTANT (not a want, but a NEED)

grins (peace)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back