a question to all hd 600 owners
May 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

john53

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have hd 600(i bought them 5-6 years ago) and i have a problem with the new replacement earpads i bought two mounths ago.Although i've posted a similar thread a few days ago,i didn't get many replies.That was a little surprising to me because hd 600's are very well known cans and many people own them hear on headfi.

Here is my problem:When i bought my new pads,i attached them on my headphones.When i started listening to the music,i immediately noticed a change in sound quality.
Highs were less airy and less detailed,soundstage was less wide,mids moved forward but lost their smooth,natural sound(it was like i was listening to a cheaper headphone) and the sound became a bit bassier.But the bass was not so tight and refined,it became a little boomy and less controlled to my ears.

it wasn't a huge night and day difference,but it was clearly audible to my ears and i didn't like the change in sound.So i pulled off the new pads and here is what i found:

THE NEW EARPADS WERE THINNER/SHORTER EVEN WHEN COMPARED TO MY OLDER,ALREADY WORN OUT PADS.

That's why there was the difference in sound
quality i described above.The ears came closer to the drivers so the sound became less airy,more bassy,more forward and with not so open soundstage(it felt like a "more in the head" feeling).
I understand that the earpads flatten over the time,it's normal,but the new pads i bought were even thinner than the older already worn out pads.

The next move was to take the new pads with me and go to the local dealer (here in athens)where i bought them.I described my problem but they told me that they only had these pads,which are on market for few years now(2-3 if i remember correctly).We also compared my new pads with a same pair and they were exactly the same.

The day after i made a call to the central offices of the dealer and described them my problem.They told me that they would sent an email to sennheiser germany to ask them.A few days later i recieved a call and they told me that senn germany said that these pads are a bit different and they do change the sound signature a bit.But they told that the cans sounds better with these pads,more dynamic and more forward,more toe tapping.

I've also made some calls to some other senn deallers on some other towns here in greece but none had the older pads.And nobody had ever complained to them about the pads.

THESE EARPADS HAVE A CODE NO 050635 AND THEY FIT AT HD600/HD650/HD580/HD545/HD565

I can't understand why they modified the pads.Maybe because they wanted them to fit on more models,or maybe because many people complain on the internet about the hd6** laidback sound,so sennheiser wanted to give a more forward sound to these cans.

I've also read on some threads that there are new/different version of the hd 600/650.Although i've never listened to any of these versions,i wonder if the difference in sound quality(it is said that there is a difference) is due to the slight thinner design of the new pads.

i would appreciate any comments on this issue,and if somebody had a similar experience,i would like to know where i can find a pair of the older pads.

May 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 78
Perhaps you can call up Senns directly to see if they have the old ones left? I doubt they do.. But with something this good, it may be an idea for them to have two variety of pads from certain time to time. *chuckles*

Hmmmm.. Most likely those who got their HD600 in these recent years do not know the difference, where else those with older pads had probably gotten them replaced much earlier (as I believe these pads are pretty lasting?)

Either way, I'm sticking around to find out what other users may say.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsedrf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmmm.. Most likely those who got their HD600 in these recent years do not know the difference, where else those with older pads had probably gotten them replaced much earlier (as I believe these pads are pretty lasting?)

Look,the earpads can last for a long time.I washed my old pads and there ok for now.But if i need to replace them in the future i may not be able to find a same pair.
Maybe it's what you say,that most people bought them in these recent years and the other had already spair pads from the time they got their older cans

May 22, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 78
Can we have a picture of these new pads, please?
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the HD600, I like the sound and I will be pleased if in the future I'll can change pads without changing the sound...

May 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarnet Basowy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we have a picture of these new pads, please?
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the HD600, I like the sound and I will be pleased if in the future I'll can change pads without changing the sound...

Yeah i plan to post some pictures but give me some time because i don't have a pc in my home(i must be the only one who doesn't own a pc here at headfi
frown.gif
)and i'm not very experienced with the pc and how to post pictures!

When did you buy your hd 600's?

May 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 78
Yikes! John! It's time to learn how to use one already!
tongue_smile.gif

I would assume you're about 2 times elder that me through the observations I've made through your posts then.
tongue.gif

Hmmm.. I am pretty interested in finding this out myself too as I potential have a HD580 coming up soon... Perhaps I could ask around my local interest group to see what information they have.

May 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsedrf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes! John! It's time to learn how to use one already!
tongue_smile.gif

I would assume you're about 2 times elder that me through the observations I've made through your posts then.
tongue.gif

Hey,i'm 27 years old,don't tell me that you're 13.5!!!
icon10.gif

I know the basics but sometimes i find a little difficulty.But i learn as time passes.

May 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 78
Dang. My assumption fell short. My observation sucks! (blames it on the fact I am hungry now.. McDelivery anyone?
tongue.gif
)

Hmmmm.. I am not sure if this actually does anything, but have you tried washing the pads a little? I have no idea if it helps, but perhaps you could soak the new pads in warm water abit.. *shrugs*.. It *might* loosen up?

May 22, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i plan to post some pictures but give me some time because i don't have a pc in my home(i must be the only one who doesn't own a pc here at headfi
frown.gif
)and i'm not very experienced with the pc and how to post pictures!

When did you buy your hd 600's?

My HD600 is one years old, it has normal pads, like every HD580/600/650 pad I've seen in the past.

May 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

My HD600 is one years old, it has normal pads, like every HD580/600/650 pad I've seen in the past.

It may not be manufactured during the past 2~3 years though.. Which makes it interesting. Hmmm.. Perhaps there is a manufactured date somewhere on the box?

May 22, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Have you ever seen hd 600's that are more than 5 years old?Maybe these older models had these thicker pads.The colour,the material and the shape is the same but the new are a little smaller/thinner.

May 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 78
Maybe check to see if HD-650 replacement pads are thicker. I don't know if Sennheiser uses the same ones on both models, but it would be worth checking to see if they're different.

May 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 78
I suppose me and John53 are the only owners of "vintage" 600 velours here. Team Thick HD600
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back