A Question that needs an Answer!
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

Arttt

500+ Head-Fier
Hey
I noticed people around here using letters to describe sound signature of a headphone.
Sayin this headphone had V shaped sound makes no sense to me, or a R shaped sound...
How many letters out there to describe sound signatures?

Could someone explain it to me please in a simple manner?

I am not sure if I chose the right forum for this topic, couldn't find a more suiting one. Better than asking this question in a forum where people talk about painting sennheiser hd 800 in yellow color to match the amp, I guess ...

// Artur

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 103
Think of a frequency response -

sub bass ------ mid bass ------ lower mids ------ upper mids ------ lower treble ------ upper treble

V shape simply means that bass and treble is elevated relative to the mid range - so the shape of the graph resembles a "V"

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 103
What is an R-shaped sound signature LMAO

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 103
Think of a frequency response -

sub bass ------ mid bass ------ lower mids ------ upper mids ------ lower treble ------ upper treble

V shape simply means that bass and treble is elevated relative to the mid range - so the shape of the graph resembles a "V"

Thanks, now I got an idea...

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 103
R shaped is like V shaped, it's in reference to R kelly "I believe I can fly" where he puts his hands in the air.

or maybe not^_^.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 103
And a W shaped would be a reference to 2pac shakur? When he puts his fingers as an W and screams west side!!!

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 103
And a W shaped would be a reference to 2pac shakur? When he puts his fingers as an W and screams west side!!!

you're obviously a natural when it comes to being an audiophile. I can sense it in you ^_^.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 103
Only took him 2 days since posting to be an expert audiophile, sound science gets **** done. Now go out there and shake your head on cable influencing sound quality, argue about the benefits of higher bit-depth/sample-rates past CD quality, and don't accept any subjective claims unless it has DBT/ABX/Volume-Matched log files to back it up. Proud of ya :wink:

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 103
)

... my hifi speakers setup was driving me crazy. Source ( dacs, CD players ) amps, cables, and the hunt for synergy between them, silent hifi racks on spikes in solid aluminium that don't vibrate, too thick carpet on the floor or too much of wooden floor opened, my comfy leather soffa that made room sound cold, had to go.. Speakers placement... Acoustic treatment of walls, first with my winter jackets and pillows, then with mineral glass wool absorbing panels, defusers ...

Living room didn't look like a living room anymore but it sounded SWEET!

Then I moved to a new apartment and acoustic is horrible, with treatment it still sounds bad..
So I put my speakers setup in a closet for a while, went to hifi store and got headphones. I thought I gonna just put headphones on, get comfortable in chair and relax...
And here it comes again, sources amps cables racks inner acoustic of headphone cup effected by ear pads...

I miss the time when I was 11-13 years old and had sony Walkman with cheap chines in-ear headphones I used to bring to school and give the right headphone to a friend that was siting next to me, and having left headphone to myself, and enjoying music, spinning tapes on a pencile to get to the next track and not to waste batteries, I remember throwing dead batteries against the wall, or on the floor to squeeze lost drops of juice out of them to play few more tracks on cassette player...

I am proud of that 11 years old kid with Sony walkman and cheap in-ear headphones, I bet he would laugh at me and all that high end junk I got in my closet now.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 103
I miss the time when I was 11-13 years old and had sony Walkman with cheap chines in-ear headphones I used to bring to school and give the right headphone to a friend that was siting next to me, and having left headphone to myself, and enjoying music, spinning tapes on a pencile to get to the next track and not to waste batteries, I remember throwing dead batteries against the wall, or on the floor to squeeze lost drops of juice out of them to play few more tracks on cassette player...

I am proud of that 11 years old kid with Sony walkman and cheap in-ear headphones, I bet he would laugh at me and all that high end junk I got in my closet now.

not only are you a fast learner, but you're also wiser than I have been for a long time. we didn't knew any better so it was the best. ignorance was bliss ^_^ .

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 103
not only are you a fast learner, but you're also wiser than I have been for a long time. we didn't knew any better so it was the best. ignorance was bliss ^_^ .

Yeah, focus was on the music back then, and not on the audio gear...
I remember I was so excited about getting a new recording, looking thrue 20-30 cassette tapes and picking a few , daily...
And when headphones die, happened often, friends were pulling cables a lot " let me listen, let me listen" I simply went and bought new ones, zero emotions. Buying new headphones was as excited as buying new batteries for my cassette player )

I want to focus on music once again.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 103
Yeah, focus was on the music back then, and not on the audio gear...
I remember I was so excited about getting a new recording, looking thrue 20-30 cassette tapes and picking a few , daily...
And when headphones die, happened often, friends were pulling cables a lot " let me listen, let me listen" I simply went and bought new ones, zero emotions. Buying new headphones was as excited as buying new batteries for my cassette player )

I want to focus on music once again.

It's totally about the music as it's such a comfort and touches the soul :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back