A question of terminology: Speakers and Drivers
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nordvarg

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I need help to clear up a possible misunderstanding I have. (I have used headphones since the 1970s but has never been concerned about the terminology - until now...)

I know that a loudspeaker often contains several drivers.

What about headphones:

1. What is it really that is referred to as the Speaker in headphones?
2. And what is it really that is referred to as the Driver - also in headphones?

Can both terms really be used to describe the same thing?

Thanks in Advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Most headphones (not electrostatic) contain a single full-range dynamic driver exactly like a driver you'd find in a loudspeaker. The basic construction of magnet and coil and cone etc is the same, except it's optimized for the small size inside headphones.

--Ethan

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 4
The terms are generally interchangeable for dynamic headphones - BUT the use of the word "speaker" can be confusing when dealing with headphones, since some people use the term speaker to refer to the entire earcup+driver assembly, and others use it to mean just the driver itself. And even more confusingly, some headphones are referred to as earspeakers (for various reasons, some better than others). 

I usually prefer to use the term driver, and avoid the term speaker (preferring "earcup assembly",  or other more precise term if I mean more than the driver alone). 

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
The terms are generally interchangeable for dynamic headphones - BUT the use of the word "speaker" can be confusing when dealing with headphones, since some people use the term speaker to refer to the entire earcup+driver assembly, and others use it to mean just the driver itself. And even more confusingly, some headphones are referred to as earspeakers (for various reasons, some better than others). 

I usually prefer to use the term driver, and avoid the term speaker (preferring "earcup assembly",  or other more precise term if I mean more than the driver alone). 

Yes, I have noticed that the terms are interchangeable.

Thanks for a clarifying answer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back