A question in general about listening to different headphones?
Jan 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

slwiser

Headphoneus Supremus
Who does not like Peach Ice Cream because it does not taste like Chocolate Ice Cream?

Then consider an analogy to this by thinking about listening to various headphones and either letting yourself enjoy them or not because they don't sound like a certain favorite one.

I have the Ultrasone Edition 9 which is very polarizing. At a meet someone told me he did not like them because they sounded closed and unlike his favorite Stax headphones. I took me back because I really enjoyed the UE9 and felt that they represented a great effort in sound reproduction. Later I got the Stax SR-007MkIIs with a KGSS and they do sound very much different and very good. But very different from my UE9. Both are very enjoyable to me.

There are like Peach and Chocolate Ice Cream to me....There is nothing like being able to enjoy various flavors instead of expecting one thing to represent the whole genre.

Is there anyone that will not go to an Eagles concert just because they are not having their performance in the same hall in every city? The various halls all sound different, but would one not go and enjoy the performance because it is not in their favorite arena and in a certain city that they prefer?

What would not liking Peach Ice Cream just because it did not taste like Chocolate Ice Cream say about that person?

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 17
For me, it is impossible to judge a HP in just a few minutes, or even a week. It takes time. For me that's usually two weeks minimum.

I like peach and chocolate, as well as many many others.
biggrin.gif

Was the person who made that comment about your 9's a long time HP listener?

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I agree. The same is true for amps and sources. I keep a few of each around for different flavors when I want a change. Also why I don't mind spinning black or silver discs - both can sound good. Vinyl is more fun, but the silver ones are convenient and sound good, too.

I like having different equipment with different personalities. But it seems that some people have to go to the same restaurant and order the same meal, every day. Then they spend 30 minutes measuring the meal and throw a fit if the meal isn't precisely like it was the day before.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it is impossible to judge a HP in just a few minutes, or even a week. It takes time. For me that's usually two weeks minimum.

I like peach and chocolate, as well as many many others.
biggrin.gif

Was the person who made that comment about your 9's a long time HP listener?

Yes, a long time Hi-Fi'er and well known in the old days but he has not been around much lately.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would not liking Peach Ice Cream just because it did not taste like Chocolate Ice Cream say about that person?

It would say that person probably doesn't like peaches.

Taste, whether it be for food, drink or something more esoteric, such as headphones, is going to be subjective, intangible and utterly impossible to describe accurately. Some people just don't like some things.

I hate ketchup. I cannot tell you why I hate it. I just do. It tastes gross to me. It triggers my gag reflex.

I don't like certain headphones for various reasons. Some I just don't like and I cannot quantify why I don't like them. Some are too bassy and have rolled off highs. Some have no midrange. Some are stupidly expensive and don't offer much bang for the buck. Some are terribly uncomfortable. There are plenty of reasons, yet not all of them can be explained.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would say that person probably doesn't like peaches.

Taste, whether it be for food, drink or something more esoteric, such as headphones, is going to be subjective, intangible and utterly impossible to describe accurately. Some people just don't like some things.

I hate ketchup. I cannot tell you why I hate it. I just do. It tastes gross to me. It triggers my gag reflex.

I don't like certain headphones for various reasons. Some I just don't like and I cannot quantify why I don't like them. Some are too bassy and have rolled off highs. Some have no midrange. Some are stupidly expensive and don't offer much bang for the buck. Some are terribly uncomfortable. There are plenty of reasons, yet not all of them can be explained.

Here you are giving reasons for why you don't like a certain thing because of that things properties, not because it is not something else. This is a reasonable explanation to me. Just because black is not white is no reason to be against black is my point.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 17
slwiser, I have been meaning to ask you why you got the ESW9 a second time? Does the new ESW9 sound like your first pair? I ask because last summer I got together w/ Boomana and vorlon1 and their ESW9 sounded quite different. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 17
To each their own! Simple as that...
..and a few minutes is not enough to make conclusions about a headphone.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slwiser, I have been meaning to ask you why you got the ESW9 a second time? Does the new ESW9 sound like your first pair? I ask because last summer I got together w/ Boomana and vorlon1 and their ESW9 sounded quite different. Thanks.

Yes, from my memory there is a distinct difference in the sound from my two pairs that I have had. The second one is much better in the bass area than the first. It still has some of the muddy sound of the original but a lot less of it. I got the second pair for use at work before the ESW10JPN came out, so actually for now the second pair is an extra one that I don't really need at this time. Sometime soon I may sell them. I am not sure about this.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you are giving reasons for why you don't like a certain thing because of that things properties, not because it is not something else. This is a reasonable explanation to me. Just because black is not white is no reason to be against black is my point.

So you're arguing against... headphone racism?

Headphonism?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back