A question for you Stax experts
Apr 9, 2007 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
i've heard it said that the Stax SRM-001 driver unit must have the batteries taken out when using an ac adaptor with it. is that true and if so why? what would happen if the batteries were left in while the unit was plugged in to the wall?

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Please excuse me for jumping into your thread, but I have another question for Stax experts:
I once read that Stax phones always must play music against a certain resistance. Therefore whenever you play music without wearing them(e.g.during burn-in) you must create a resistence (for example by placing some books between the earcups). If you don't, excessive displacement of the membrane may damage it. Is this true or just one more of those black legends?

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by brospin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please excuse me for jumping into your thread, but I have another question for Stax experts:
I once read that Stax phones always must play music against a certain resistance. Therefore whenever you play music without wearing them(e.g.during burn-in) you must create a resistence (for example by placing some books between the earcups). If you don't, excessive displacement of the membrane may damage it. Is this true or just one more of those black legends?

for my sake, i hope this is not true. would the Stax gods be inclined to answer this plea...

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

methinks it's a black black legend. my Lambdas have gone full blast without a noggin in them for days at meets, and at lower levels at home for quite a while, and it's still going strong from '84!

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 15
That sounds like hooey to me too. The stax drivers are inherant dipoles. The resistance would thus, int he way i think you are thinking, create more problems than leaving them open on both sides.

Stax headphones do not have much of a physical bun in anyway. Especially if you consider the age of the average one.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Urban legend.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 15
a third question for our stax experts: is it true that the 4070 has electronics installed for it to shut off while playing at levels so high that it could damage the diaphragm? i remember reading it somewhere on here (probably the stax thread), that would be pretty nifty.

edit: also, what is the official name for the basic system? the srs-3010 or srs-3000? it looks like a nice way to sample stats and i might be buying it to complement the grados.

edit2: ok the one above the basic system, in which the amp is used as a headphone stand.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a third question for our stax experts: is it true that the 4070 has electronics installed for it to shut off while playing at levels so high that it could damage the diaphragm? i remember reading it somewhere on here (probably the stax thread), that would be pretty nifty.

edit: also, what is the official name for the basic system? the srs-3010 or srs-3000? it looks like a nice way to sample stats and i might be buying it to complement the grados.

Many stats have a triac or something similar that limits maximum voltage to the stators.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

It was Carl that posted that not long after he got his set. It turned out not to be the headphones at all. The headphones are just damped enclosures with the drivers in them. It was his transformer box cutting out because of the large amount of power the headphones needed to get going.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

edit2: ok the one above the basic system, in which the amp is used as a headphone stand.

Which Grado's do you have? I found that the Prestige models complimented the Stax 404's I tried quite well, but for some reason they seemed a bit lacking compared to the RS-1s/ 2s. I didn't find the bass as tight or as defined as the Reference models, but when compared to the SR-225s the Stax's flaws became less noticeble and I actually enjoyed them to a much greater extent. Oh, and the "basic system" is called the Stax SRS-3050II Classic System (just looked it up) and is on TTVJ right now for $1,170, but I think Audiocubes sells them for less.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

a third question for our stax experts: is it true that the 4070 has electronics installed for it to shut off while playing at levels so high that it could damage the diaphragm? i remember reading it somewhere on here (probably the stax thread), that would be pretty nifty..

No, they don't. That was a mistake on my part.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you read that?
No need afaik.

i read it in a pm from a former sr001 owner.

'nuther question: are there adaptors for these phones to run them off of a regular stax (or 'stat) amp and if so would they go off of the pro or regular (er, amateur?) jack?

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'nuther question: are there adaptors for these phones to run them off of a regular stax (or 'stat) amp and if so would they go off of the pro or regular (er, amateur?) jack?

The 001/003/005 is an inherently 580v biased headphone just like the rest of Stax's offerings, so a pro bias jack.

Said adaptors are not an official product, but Alex (AK Zip) has been known to make them from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back