a question for anyone with radiohead's "ok computer"
Dec 11, 2003 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

the terabyte

100+ Head-Fier
in "paranoid android" (track 2), there's a computerized voice (the same one from fitter happier) in the background of the chorus (first happens about 1:08 into the song) and i'm trying to figure out what it's saying. it seems like the last word is "android," but there are at least five other words said before that. i figure that someone here must have a setup capable of resolving it (or at least ears better than mine
redface.gif
)

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 23
I'll confirm the last word is "android"...it sounds like the first thing he says is "one day"...hard to hear the rest.

wait wait...I think I've got it..."I'm a real paranoid android...not an android."

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I'll confirm the last word is "android"...it sounds like the first thing he says is "one day"...hard to hear the rest.

wait wait...I think I've got it..."I'm a real paranoid android...not an android."

ok, i just cracked out the vinyl copy (much clearer, even through my old technics receiver) and i think i agree with you, definitely on the "one day" and "not an android" parts. i did hear the "p" sound in between there, so you're most likely correct with the "paranoid android" part, as well.

EDIT: after more listening, i'm almost thinking that it's "one day, i'm a paranoid android, not an android," as it doesn't seem like theres enough syllables to have 'real' in there.

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 23
Okay, after more listening, and switching to Ety's, it sounds like "I may be paranoid, but not an android." What do you think?

And then later, when the robot voice comes in again "I may be paranoid, but no android."

Which really makes more sense. Because before I was like...what...he's saying he's an android, then saying he's not one?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Okay, after more listening, and switching to Ety's, it sounds like "I may be paranoid, but not an android." What do you think?

And then later, when the robot voice comes in again "I may be paranoid, but no android."

ah, that does sound like it, with a good bit of space between words.

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
ah, that does sound like it, with a good bit of space between words.

Yeah it's like "I may...be paranoid...but...not an...android."

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 23
Yes, that's what I've always heard.

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

That's what I hear also. It makes me sad that I couldn't hear it well through my speakers. Now I have to tweak.

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
It is "I may be paranoid, but no android", not "not an android".

Nope, he says both. Twice from ~ 0:50 to 1:05 ("not an android") and then twice from ~1:40 to 1:55 ("no android").

Dec 12, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
greenplastic is your friend: http://greenplastic.com/lyrics/rh_so...oidandroid.php

of course, the song is a fairly big homage to the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy for anybody who's read the book. a person once told me that they felt he was saying "i am marvin and i am not a paranoid android." ah well, what the mind can hear if properly motivated..

Ah...didn't catch the reference. I was just starting on the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy but then school and this ****ing literature class came along and I haven't had time to read much...I'll make sure to read it over break though
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, you can really convince yourself you're hearing something when you're not...

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 23
I don't think marvin ever actually says that he isn't a paranoid android, I think one of the characters (the name escapes me now) says something to the effect of, "Oh yes, Marvin, the paranoid android."

Dec 12, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
I don't think marvin ever actually says that he isn't a paranoid android, I think one of the characters (the name escapes me now) says something to the effect of, "Oh yes, Marvin, the paranoid android."

in the book, he is referred to as "the paranoid android" a few times. my personal favorite is during the line "when i am king / you will be first against the wall." and in the book, there is a line about the marketing division of the cybernetics something corporation about how "when the revolution came, they were the first against the wall.

that's sort of the bulk of my reasoning for hhgg being part of the inspiration for the lyrics. it's just too odd to be just a coincidence.

Dec 12, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 23
Why is the album named OK Computer?
I think I figured out the reason...(if it's not widely known, then yes, I am treating this as a riddle) .. .. .. I've never listened to the album, though......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back