A question for all the DAP users here
Apr 20, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 34
"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."
-Alan Parsons

But have to disagree with this generalization. Audiophiles do listen to equipment to test it. They can get obsessed with the quality thus over test. But for many Audiophiles, purchasing new gear stops and wonderful music enjoyment takes place.

Head-Fi is a site about gear with the goal to forget about gear.

Folks who continue to think about gear are simply gear heads and not audiophiles.

If you go through the members you will find that folks stop purchasing at some point and retire from looking. There is actually a place where equipment falls away and all we are left with IS music.

It’s a interesting phenomena as these posters often leave Head-Fi. Why should they be here when they don’t need new gear. It’s the happiest people you don’t read about as they have gone off into the sunset.

I haven’t purchased any new gear in years. I have no interest or reason to buy anything new. I simply have reached the end.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #32 of 34
But have to disagree with this generalization. Audiophiles do listen to equipment to test it. They can get obsessed with the quality thus over test. But for many Audiophiles, purchasing new gear stops and wonderful music enjoyment takes place.

Head-Fi is a site about gear with the goal to forget about gear.

Folks who continue to think about gear are simply gear heads and not audiophiles.

If you go through the members you will find that folks stop purchasing at some point and retire from looking. There is actually a place where equipment falls away and all we are left with IS music.

It’s a interesting phenomena as these posters often leave Head-Fi. Why should they be here when they don’t need new gear. It’s the happiest people you don’t read about as they have gone off into the sunset.

I haven’t purchased any new gear in years. I have no interest or reason to buy anything new. I simply have reached the end.

Haha, I thought the statement was meant ironical (to describe the gearheads amongst audioophiles)... :)

I totally agree with you!

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 34
That quote is 1/2 true and part self serving as well as understandable coming from him. When you know deep down inside he thinks it’s the ultimate complement. Why wouldn’t that be what every producer would want? The fact that their life’s work is judged by a community to such an extent that it’s the pinnacle of human achievement in recording.

Just the fact that the sound quality of (his) recordings somehow contains the wonderments of sound?

The flip side is that of course he wants complements regarding other aspects of the process. He is a perfectionist so any complement should be perfect too and contain the whole aspect of his progress otherwise it’s only a 50% complement. He is pointing that out by belittling a social group at their most shallow aspect; though he himself is also only 1/2 correct. IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back