A question about the Van Del Hul Optocoupler mk2 cable
Mar 8, 2009 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

vic1890

100+ Head-Fier
I find the plugs at the end of these cables - whether it's toslink or miniplug are unscrew-able, but the strange thing is, once you do unscrew it a bit, the actual glass thread within the cable starts sticking out nakedly and isn't reversible unless you push it back in with some considerable force (with a soft optical cloth or cotton of course).

Is there any reason for this screw like thing? - I just can't fathom why. And, assuming no scratch occurred in this process, would the signal degrade if the glass sticks out a little more than the actual plug?

This has been bugging me quite a bit.

I do realise that VDH specifically warns not to push the plugs in with force, but I believe that is more for the outer plug, and its frailty (I learnt this the hard way after my gf snapped the miniplug side when it was just two days old while it was still connected to my macbook), the actual glass thread itself, is terribly resilient - ironically.

Any other VDH optical cable owners here that can comment on this?

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 20
I bet they used the screw when assembling the cable at the factory, and hence its there.
Not looked into it though, as I just plugged it in and let it sit there. No need to mess around...

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 20
When i had mine i didn't even have to unscrew it to make it do that.

I had it slightly coiled up behind the imac and my Headroom amp to save a bit of space and even this was enough to make it protrude by 4/5mm
eek.gif
in only a few days. I only realized it when i was moving things about and disconnected the cable from the amp.

Easily sorted by unscrewing the end and gently pushing it back whilst straightening the cable. Still its not exactly something you would expect of a high end optical cable.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 20
krmathis: As Lisnalee stated - it started protruding by itself for me, mostly due to when the cable is bent in a curve, it automatically starts unscrewing itself and getting loose. I do hope this doesn't degrade the quality.

Lisnalee: precisely - I did find it rather appaling - it makes the glass threads prone to damage far easier then.

Quaddy: Hehe, well, some things can't be helped.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis: As Lisnalee stated - it started protruding by itself for me, mostly due to when the cable is bent in a curve, it automatically starts unscrewing itself and getting loose. I do hope this doesn't degrade the quality.

Lisnalee: precisely - I did find it rather appaling - it makes the glass threads prone to damage far easier then.

Quaddy: Hehe, well, some things can't be helped.

I'm sure there some hi-tech reason for the glass core not being permanently fixed inside the sleeving but it really shouldn't happen. As you said it does make it more prone to damage.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Lisnalee: hehe to be frank - it wouldn't phase me so much if I didn't have an accident prone gf who, somehow, manages to break only the expensive things around her :p

But I do wonder, what's the reason. Are other optical cables built like this as well? (This is my first experience with optical cables)

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry! Did not catch that...
You mentioned 'unscrew', so I figured you were tampering with it at free will.

Note to self -> Continue to handle the Optocoupler carefully.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Hmm this has happened to me and has been bugging me too. The same as the OP where a piece is sticking 1-2 mm out. Reading the ad for the VDH, they talk a lot about the lens and reflection. If the cone of the plastic tip is sticking out, wouldn't light escape out the sides of the plastic before it enters the sleeve?

I have a 10$, 4 year old toslink cable that has been treated like rubbish and there is no issue with the connectors at all.

Sound is fine and i haven't heard any issues yet, but it is quite annoying when you have spent the extra cash for a cable like this :/

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 20
i have recently swapped all my glass VDH optos for Mitsubishi Eska POF, which are plastic, as, just like blue jeans cable state, they are naturally the correct aperture for the digital audio spec, and dont have to be bundled for size reasons like glass, also a lot more robust and flexible!

they sound great, and are cheap as chips
beerchug.gif
, i am now using my optos for non-critical AV use, and cheap mitsubishis in my main rig, so dont anyone accuse me of being a cable snob
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 20
Good call i was thinking about giving the optocoupler to my parents so that at least it can be put to use somewhere.
If the cone shaped lens is so crucial to the design of the cable, then having it standing out of its sleeve should actually make the whole design pointless.

I am going to test some cheap toslinks tonite and see if there is any difference...

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 20
You might contact VDH about the issue. I've not heard reports about VDH's customer service, but some companies will replace such faulty products for free. I don't honestly think it costs them that much to make. I've been meaning to try a couple of "made to spec" optical cables against the Optocoupler, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might contact VDH about the issue. I've not heard reports about VDH's customer service, but some companies will replace such faulty products for free. I don't honestly think it costs them that much to make. I've been meaning to try a couple of "made to spec" optical cables against the Optocoupler, but haven't gotten around to it.

Yes true i will do that. Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back