A Question About IEMs
Jan 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #31 of 43
What does it mean that the UM1s are single drivers? Are the ER6is single drivers too? And does the fact that I won't be using an amp, and just running them straight out of an iPod make one a better choice?

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 43
They are both single driver. Single driver means there is one speaker in each of the housing units (the part you stick in your ear). Dual drivers means there is 2 speakers in each housing.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ohh kk I see. So I guess both would be alright without an amp right?

Yes. I do recomend ER6i if they sound anything like ER4P's which people say they do.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I do recomend ER6i if they sound anything like ER4P's which people say they do.

The reason I'm probably going to get the UM1 is I heard it doesn't have any microphonics, or at least a small amount. I've never owned IEMs but I imagine that they are really annoying so I'd rather avoid that.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 43
All IEM's will have microphonics. Some more than others but it's not that big of a deal. Honestly I was afraid of it at first now I don't even notice it. From what I've read... (not from experience) the UM1's aren't as good as ER6i in terms of SQ but better in comfort. The ER6i's still are comfortable if you use the right tip.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

What does it mean that the UM1s are single drivers? Are the ER6is single drivers too? And does the fact that I won't be using an amp, and just running them straight out of an iPod make one a better choice?

What? I cannot use ER4s with iPod? If so, why not? What about ER6s? What is the difference between ER4 and ER6? Which provides better noise cancellation? Is true that none of the these products do need batteries? Just plug in the device?

Both are on sale in Amazon (-50%)!!!

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All IEM's will have microphonics. Some more than others but it's not that big of a deal. Honestly I was afraid of it at first now I don't even notice it. From what I've read... (not from experience) the UM1's aren't as good as ER6i in terms of SQ but better in comfort. The ER6i's still are comfortable if you use the right tip.

Wearing IEMs behind ears and entangling headphones so the cable is tight behind your neck can reduce microphonics to minimum. Another trick is to wrap the cable around your neck.

Idea of that all:
The less the cable can move and the tighter is its fit to your skin, the less microphonics.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #39 of 43
exX08, not true. No cable noise to me with my excellent UM2. I can hear myself breathing more, but no microphonics!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
UM1 owners testify the same, though I cannot vouch for that. My Shure E4 aren't as good, but they are close to being silent worn behind the ear

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Oh, are they only superior in SQ to other ear buds? What about the full on headphones?

Also I'm still wondering how safe it is to cross streets etc. with them in? Do you heard absolutely nothing? But then again I'm sure alot of people use them while walking right?

And I was wondering if anyone could personally vouch for any IEMs in the $100 range? Especailly whether or not they have the sound of the wires rubbing against your clothes?

Thanks alot.

V-Moda vibes, Shure E2c's are probably right up your alley. And yes, most IEMs (particularly when played loud) block out pretty much all outside noise. I work right below a giant dust collecting vacuum, and right above 3 layered pieces of steel with a vibrating screen, and the noise is unbelieveable. I use Shure E3c's at work and when listening at high volume, with the foam tips I hear literally next to nothing, I just feel the vibration in my feet. So yeah dont drive with them.
etysmile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yes, most IEMs (particularly when played loud) block out pretty much all outside noise.

Please don't take this the wrong way

You should not need to turn the volume up with IEMs as they block outside noise. In fact you should be able to turn the volume down as you can hear your music better. I never have any of my sources above 40% volume with IEMs. It is literally painful to have it any higher

Please look after your ears. You only have one pair. Are you getting a proper seal?

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should not need to turn the volume up with IEMs as they block outside noise. In fact you should be able to turn the volume down as you can hear your music better. I never have any of my sources above 40% volume with IEMs.

Which is something I hope the OTS will enjoy.

An intro IEM for $100 or less? as much as I love Ety or altec, I recommend the UM1. I've owned both the ER-6i and the UM1, you will enjoy either one, but I believe most beginners are more used to the sound signature of the UM1's. Yes, the Ety's were very detailed and revealing headphones, which makes for a fun first-time experience, but I found the UM1's to be detailing as well.

If you're using a comply eartip (foam-like), the comfort will be the same with either one.

Response graphs aside, the Ety's were sharper and the sound seemed treble-colored, which contributes to the noticeable "revealing" trademark. The UM1's sounded more warm, laid back (the "veil" quality), and the middle tones were more emphasized. Both are great sound signatures depending on what you listen to. I have a friend who loves groups like Nickel Creek and the Er-6i's were his favorite. Another friend of mine loved a darker sound for his rock and preferred the UM1's.

The other difference applies to microphonics and cord quality. I was surprised just how strong the thin Er-6i cords are, yet I appreciate Westone UM1's wrapped style--personal preference.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #43 of 43
IEM's also tend to use balanced armature drivers whereas most canalphones use dynamic drivers.

Do own both Vibes and ER4P; almost completely different in sound terms.
If you need the isolation go for the Ety's. Else I'd take the Vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back