A Question About IEMs
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to buy new headphones to use with my iPod. I pretty much only need them to go to and from University, which means using them on the bus/subway/street.

I was told IEMs give you the best sound quality and block out the most outside noise. Is this true?

But my question is are these safe to use while walking outside? And also I've heard about hearing the cables rubbing against your cothes and hearing your footsteps, is this a huge problem?

Thanks alot, and incase anyone wanted to reccomend any, I'm looking to spend around $100 and will be listening mostly to Rock.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 43
It is true that IEMs will block out a lot of sound and offer superior SQ over most other types("ear buds") but are more expensive in general.

I've been told that driving with IEMs is stupid.
evil_smiley.gif
but walking might be OK.
rolleyes.gif

I climb around on steep roofs when working solo and use IEMs in all places, but I'm a seasoned user and I don't suffer from paranoia having outside sound blocked out.

Something like the v-moda would be in your price range and wouldn't block out quite as much as most IEMs from what I've read.

The cable noise (microphonics) varies with brands. My Shure E4 does not have this problem , Etymotic ER4 does, I don't know much about the v-moda.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 43
Oh, are they only superior in SQ to other ear buds? What about the full on headphones?

Also I'm still wondering how safe it is to cross streets etc. with them in? Do you heard absolutely nothing? But then again I'm sure alot of people use them while walking right?

And I was wondering if anyone could personally vouch for any IEMs in the $100 range? Especailly whether or not they have the sound of the wires rubbing against your clothes?

Thanks alot.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, are they only superior in SQ to other ear buds? What about the full on headphones?

Also I'm still wondering how safe it is to cross streets etc. with them in? Do you heard absolutely nothing? But then again I'm sure alot of people use them while walking right?

And I was wondering if anyone could personally vouch for any IEMs in the $100 range? Especailly whether or not they have the sound of the wires rubbing against your clothes?

Thanks alot.

its like wearing earplugs. you can't hear the motor of a car, but you can maybe hear the carhorn
i don't know...i don't go around honking cars with iems on...

the microphonics on my shure e3g aren't that bad as long as i wear em a la shure style. but wearing them any way, i hear my heartbeating and breathing when i use the triflange or soft sleeve

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 43
I got Etymotic ER4P's not too long ago. They are really great.

The quality of sound should be up to par with full on headphones. I prefer the ER4P's to my Grado SR-125's.

Sound isolation: with music on you will not hear anything outside unless it is very loud (car horns, ambulances, etc.) Even then you might not hear it. Thus, it is dangerous to run with them because you might not hear car horns etc, screaming people etc.

I use them walking to class (I go to university too) and just make sure to look very carefully when crossing roads.

As for the rubbing issue, you will hear rubbing against clothing really clearly. I've pretty much solved this by using the included clip and clipping the wires to my collar in a way that not too much rubs. At that point, there's very little rubbing.

IEM's have definitely made my walk to class very enjoyable. I wholly recommend getting a pair! They sound great too and are certainly comparable to full on headphones.

My recommendations:
People seem to like the V-Moda Vibes. I personally have not had much experience with them, but from what I hear, very good value for the money.
In that price range, there is also the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Amazon.com is having a sale on Etymotic ER6i's = $79.99
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...&s=electronics
This is a very good price, and people have said the ER6i's are great. I have the model 1 step above and have been very happy with the company.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 43
For your purposes, partly because they don't isolate totally and partly because they sound very good with iPods and are right in your price range, consider the V-Moda Vibes. Small, lightweight, easy to put in and take out, less cord microphonics than some brands.

The earbuds that come with players won't necessarily stay put in the ear, and they let a lot of outside noise in (and out). Canal phones such as the Vibes, Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP 630, and others from JBL, Sony, JVC, and so forth plug into the outer part of the ear canal itself with their soft, gentle ear fittings. You don't have to turn the volume all the way up, because of the proximity to the eardrum and to their blocking of some external noise. (Then there's IEMs, which usually insert more deeply and which block more sound and generally have a different type of driver and so a different level /signature of sound; these would be great on a bus or subway, but might make some people -- not all -- feel weird walking around city streets in their own "soundscape." Canal phones might be a good "compromise" for you.)

Canal phones and IEMs are really portable and would suit your commuting to and from school, I would think.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 43
through experimenting i've discovered you can virtually eliminate microphonics by wearing the cord up and over the ear. all my canalphones i mention below have no microphonic issues to speak of.

the v-moda vibes are ported and let in a lot of sound. with them on and no music playing i can carry on a conversation at normal levels. i can hear the low hum of my very quiet pc and the subtle ticking of my clock.

the jbl 220s are open backed and have the same level of non isolation as the vibes.

both are very capable canalphones. they are musical, have terrific bass response. the vibes present more forward mids giving music a richer sound where the 220s are a bit more flat frequency wise. i consider both are on the same level SQ-wise and it just comes down to preference in sound signature. i'm keeping both of mine.

SQ-wise, i haven't found a closed/isolating canalphone similar to the vibes and 220s. i use the senn's CX300 when i want to block out sound. it doesn't isolate as well as IEMs but it does pretty well as far as canalphones go. i consider the senns a full step below the vibes and 220s in regards to SQ but they are very musical and fun and i have no problem relying on them when i travel and want isolation. beware of fakes. real ones can be had for $30 (mine cost $29 shipped) but you have to be careful.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 43
Thanks to everyone for your help. I'd just like to clarify one thing, the differences between canalphones and IEMs?

How much less sound isolation do you get with canalphones than IEMs? Compared to average headphones which go over your ears (not sure what they are called, like not buds but big headphones), do they (canalphones) block out more or less sound? How is the SQ compared to IEMs?

Finally how annoying is the sound of the wires rubbing against your clothes and hearing your heartbeat/footsteps? Is it less of a problem with canalphones v.s IEMs?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 43
I believe "canalphones" is another term for IEMs (in-ear monitors) ..as in being inserted into your ear canal. "earbuds" sit just outside your ear canal and do not use the same balanced armature driver technology which the more expensive IEMs use(some don't).

IEMs isolate(block out) much more than earbuds. Even a closed full size headphone won't block out as much sound as a standard design IEM which uses foam or silicon inserts.

IEMs vs. full size headphones is really a personal preference thing. With open full size 'phones(aka "cans") you will generally get a more airy, bigger soundstage than when using IEMs. Open headphones have no solid cup construction, meaning you can usually see the transducer housing through the grill, this type doesn't block out nor contain sound very much at all.

Closed headphones have a solid cup (wood or plastic) which blocks out enough so that room noise/conversation won't be bothersome when listening to music at normal levels.

I'll say that for the same amount of money most people will be happier with the SQ from full size open headphones vs. IEMs.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 43
some isolation:
v moda vibes, jbl 220
full isolation:
er6i, UM1, im716, e2c

although i own vibes, i recommend UM1's. I tried my friend's and it is extremely comfortable and its sound quality is well rounded, plus the isolation

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 43
Great thanks for the list, I'm reading reviews as we speak and am leaning towards the ER6is so far. Just for the sake of curiosity, could you list a few that would be "the next step up" price wise? Still not more than around 150-175 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back