A Question About IEMs
Jan 25, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 43
I'm having some trouble making a decision based on internet reviews. So if you could tell me the strengths and weaknesses or the ER6i, UM1 and E2C in relation to one another I'd really appreciate it. Like what does the ER6i do best, what does the UM1 do best etc. Thanks alot once again
rs1smile.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 43
I own and like the ER6i's -- I think they have a higher upside than the others you list, but they might take more of an effort on your part to get used to. Very small, a variety of potential ear fittings, and detailed sound ... some people want/expect an exaggerated bass, which these don't have.

If I had to guess which one would be a good all-rounder in your situation and would be easier for you to adapt to, I'd say the Westones. Just a guess, as I don't know you, but the comfort and sound signature might be more what you expect. Not as big an upside as the ER6i's, but probably easier for you to adapt to.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe "canalphones" is another term for IEMs (in-ear monitors) ..as in being inserted into your ear canal. "earbuds" sit just outside your ear canal and do not use the same balanced armature driver technology which the more expensive IEMs use(some don't).

IEMs isolate(block out) much more than earbuds. Even a closed full size headphone won't block out as much sound as a standard design IEM which uses foam or silicon inserts.

IEMs vs. full size headphones is really a personal preference thing. With open full size 'phones(aka "cans") you will generally get a more airy, bigger soundstage than when using IEMs. Open headphones have no solid cup construction, meaning you can usually see the transducer housing through the grill, this type doesn't block out nor contain sound very much at all.

Closed headphones have a solid cup (wood or plastic) which blocks out enough so that room noise/conversation won't be bothersome when listening to music at normal levels.

I'll say that for the same amount of money most people will be happier with the SQ from full size open headphones vs. IEMs.

Actually, from how I understand it, there's a distinct difference between IEM's and Canalphones. IEM's go in much deeper than Canalphones, and isolate much better.

Examples of canalphones are the the V-Moda Vibes, Sennheiser CX-300, and Creative EP-630.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump this back up, but I'm realling hoping to buy one of the Um1s, ER6is or E2cs today, so I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me their relative strengths.

I own the E2C's and the UM1's. I prefer the UM1's because for my ears, they're MUCH more comfortable E2C's. The only problem I have with them is the treble has a bit of a rolloff. That is, the highs in music sound a little more distant than the E2C's (modded), but it's pro's for the UM1's overweigh when compared to the E2C's. Comfort, little to no microphics, greater detail in the music for the most part, and the fact that the drivers are flush to your ear, and don't stick out of your ears.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #21 of 43
I have the ER4P and I think that would be the next step after you get these. Someone recomeded the ER4S and has an Impendence of 75 Ohms. That means you probably will not be able to run it straight out of your Ipod. With the ER4P they use the same drivers and everything only the impendence is alot lower. You would be able to run the 4P straight out of your Ipod.

Once you get used to the superior detail of Etymotic Research you will find yourself gradually going from ER6i-4P-4S with amp. I wish you well with regards...

Jordan.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 43
Not necessarily "better" but "different". One man's meat is another man's poison (wish I could think of nicer words
tongue.gif
)

When you compare x to y in the same price bracket it is about different sound signatures. Search for the many reviews and comments on each IEM brand.

I don't want to comment on Ety's as I don't own them. I will say I didn't get them from reading around. I quite like my Westone and Shure IEMs and I probably wouldn't like Ety's if the criticism of less bass for a "flatter, more neutral but accurate (Ety) sound" is true (note the "" means I am summarising what I've read, but may not be quite right)

I know its hard if you can't demo IEMs and you can read till your head hurts, but that's the only current advice I can offer. For example, see LaBreaHead's post before. Not that I'm trying to put you off Ety. You're going to have to take a blind leap and take an educated guess on what sound you'd like

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #24 of 43
-We found the sound to be a little veiled, that is, hidden sounding distant, like listening through a piece of cloth.
-everything sounding a little thin
-We found the level of musical resolution to be a little lower than the competition

I read these things about the UM1s, doesn't sound like the SQ is that great.
frown.gif

On the other hand they are supposed to have no microphonics which sounds great.

But then I read that the ER6is have overly long cables that are easy to tangle and let you hear the wires rubbing against your clothes. And I heard that the bass isn't that great and that it all depends on getting a perfect fit. ARGHHH this is so frustrating.

These are my basic three questions:

-are microphonics annoying enough to warrant me getting the UM1s just based on that?
-which of the two has overall better sound quality, i know it's a tough question to answer because they each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm asking altogether which one is better, which one's weaknesses have less of an impact.
-i'm assuming that both are roughly equal in terms of comfort and seal quality?

By the way I'm using them with an iPod and no amp, incase that gives either one an edge.

I know I've been debating this for a while, thanks to you all for helping, I just want to be sure I make the right choice.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 43
It might seem like a lot, but at this price range, you can't go too far wrong -- and there will be positives in either the Westones or the Etymotics should you choose one of those. You'll be making a pretty big jump up the audio ladder, either way.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might seem like a lot, but at this price range, you can't go too far wrong -- and there will be positives in either the Westones or the Etymotics should you choose one of those. You'll be making a pretty big jump up the audio ladder, either way.

Westones or Etymotics, which one gives FULL ISOLATION?

What is the difference between Ety ER4 and Ety ER6? Which one gives BETTER ISOLATION?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some isolation:
v moda vibes, jbl 220
full isolation:
er6i, UM1, im716, e2c

although i own vibes, i recommend UM1's. I tried my friend's and it is extremely comfortable and its sound quality is well rounded, plus the isolation

Does ER4 give full isolation, like ER6?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-We found the sound to be a little veiled, that is, hidden sounding distant, like listening through a piece of cloth.
-everything sounding a little thin
-We found the level of musical resolution to be a little lower than the competition

I read these things about the UM1s, doesn't sound like the SQ is that great.
frown.gif

On the other hand they are supposed to have no microphonics which sounds great.

But then I read that the ER6is have overly long cables that are easy to tangle and let you hear the wires rubbing against your clothes. And I heard that the bass isn't that great and that it all depends on getting a perfect fit. ARGHHH this is so frustrating.

These are my basic three questions:

-are microphonics annoying enough to warrant me getting the UM1s just based on that?
-which of the two has overall better sound quality, i know it's a tough question to answer because they each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm asking altogether which one is better, which one's weaknesses have less of an impact.
-i'm assuming that both are roughly equal in terms of comfort and seal quality?

By the way I'm using them with an iPod and no amp, incase that gives either one an edge.

I know I've been debating this for a while, thanks to you all for helping, I just want to be sure I make the right choice.

What kind of music do you like? I think that could help us with what earphones are sonically better for you.

As for comfort, I think it's pretty universal that UM1's are more comfortable, but I'm not sure about the seal. With the Comply tips (foam tips, basically), they almost feel like they're not even there, and it blocks out a lot of noise.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you like? I think that could help us with what earphones are sonically better for you.

As for comfort, I think it's pretty universal that UM1's are more comfortable, but I'm not sure about the seal. With the Comply tips (foam tips, basically), they almost feel like they're not even there, and it blocks out a lot of noise.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Used mostly for rock, bands like Guns N Roses, The Chili Peppers, Metallica, and also gentler rock like The Beatles, Oasis, Elton John. And again no amp, just straight from an iPod.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #30 of 43
I use short Comply foams on the ER6i's, and when inserted well into the ear canal, the isolation is impressive (regular Comply's are standard on the UM1, if I understand correctly). It might be my imagination, but the bass is a little more evident with the foams than with the flanges. Ety bi-flanges are small and enable the ER6i to burrow fairly far into the canal; with me, though, the seal comes and goes with the flanges when I move my head -- I like the consistency of the Comply foams ... tri-flanges are longer (and evil-looking), but are reputed to have the best isolation for some users, but isolation varies by user, fittings, ear canal configuration, etc. Ety's don't look like much -- there's not much there, as they're so small and the wires are so thin (there will be cord microphonics with the Ety's -- I don't notice it after a while, but it bothers some people). With the ER6i or the ER4, isolation is about as good as it gets.

I haven't worn the Westones, but they are said to isolate well, too. The cord looks pretty cool, and the Westones are said to have about the least cord microphonics. Some people report they can lie on their side with the Westones in and listen to music while falling asleep. I don't find the Ety's uncomfortable at all -- with the foams -- but the Westones are supposed to be at or near the top of the comfort list.

Maybe you should flip a coin ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back