a portable headphone dac..
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

our martin

Account deactivated by request.
i was wondering if you could get a dac/headphone amp that just uses the headphone socket? i am looking for one for my pioneer back seat screens that only has a headphone socket.. i will be using grado gr10 earbuds so i want the best sound possible..any suggestions would be appreciated.. thinking about the fostex hp-p1?

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
i was wondering if you could get a dac/headphone amp that just uses the headphone socket? i am looking for one for my pioneer back seat screens that only has a headphone socket.. i will be using grado gr10 earbuds so i want the best sound possible..any suggestions would be appreciated.. thinking about the fostex hp-p1?

Dedicated headphone AMPs usually have a 3.5mm jack input, some have balanced inputs aswell.
Have a look at the popular brands, iBasso, Nuforce, Fiio (i dont own any so i cannot recommend any, you will haveto decide for yourself.) I read the fostex is good.

The problem is the onboard DAC on your pioneer screens, will be a weakpoint, and IMO all the amp will do is increase amp up the crappy signal it receives, so if your Pioneer screen has a Line out (in a jack format) then I recommend getting a DAC from (but not limited to) the brands mentioned above, that will provide a much better sound.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 12
Can you post the model number, I may be able to find sumthing helpful.

(or links, to both product pages)

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
sorry the ones in the rear seats are the pioneer avd- w1100v and the one in the front dash is the pioneer avh-8400 bh..

Please note: I'm a skeptic about HU DAC quality, unless someone here is willing to prove otherwise I'm just going assume they are ****, like most consumer audio products.

EDIT:* i was grossly wrong, see posts below

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 12
this is what i am going for the car is a 2012 dodge challenger rt classic which is just being built.. so i can't test anything out yet until the cars finished..if you click on the image it will go bigger..i don't know if the rca to usb leads will work?

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 12
I don't think the HP-P1 will act as a dac for a regular USB signal, only signal from an iPod/iPhone. Certainly not from a 3.5mm jack - you would just be using it as a headphone amp, no dac conversion (and that makes it a spendy headphone amp).

What you need is to find the digital output from the center console device (dvd/stereo) before it goes out to the monitors - if it provides a digital out at all, then use a usb or coaxial dac from that signal. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

NOTE: AUX is analogue, LINE is digital. (we want to control the digital to analogue )

Not necessarily. Line could be just an analog signal with no pre-amplification. You need to find a dedicated digital out, which, I really doubt will be provided in an in-dash car audio unit. I think it is much more likely, you're going to be stuck with - at best - using a dedicated amp, rather than the built-ins for headphone use - but that the DAC function is still going to be performed by the in-dash unit. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 12
I highly doubt it, I dont even know why they exist, I cant figure any setup thats designed to handle that.

At this point in time a headphone AMP will just provide more power and volume, it may improve the sound quality, but minimally when combined with a DAC.

EDIT:bah @_@
Until we can figure out of that jack is a LINE out or an AUX i cant recommend anything, sorry!

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 12
The specs do not identify any digital outputs on that unit nor are any shown in pictures of the rear.

A "LINE" output is generally a fixed level analog output...I have never seen a line output that was digital. Occasionally there are combination jacks that are 3.5mm TRS analog stereo with a TOSLINK optical, but certainly not on this unit,

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 12
click on the image it goes bigger..  i am going for two ipad 2s on the back head rests to make things easier..  you get a cable that comes with the fostex that attaches to the ipads..the pioneer av receiver in the front dash works with the ipads bluetooth so the kids will be able to download movies off the web and watch them on there ipads.thanks for all your help!

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
The specs do not identify any digital outputs on that unit nor are any shown in pictures of the rear.

A "LINE" output is generally a fixed level analog output...I have never seen a line output that was digital. Occasionally there are combination jacks that are 3.5mm TRS analog stereo with a TOSLINK optical, but certainly not on this unit,

Right, i need sleep... 40 hours is screwing with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back