A Pic-By-Pic Grado SR80 Recable Thread...
Dec 23, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 35
Curious what cable did you use? I does not look like Canare, is it Mogami?

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 35
Yeah, Mogami mini-quad...prefer it to Canare for some reason...the different colours for one.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good observation.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 35
I'm planning to do this to my SR-125s. The cable is beat up from a few years of use and there is something loose inside the cups. I'm also going to make my own interconnects at the same time. Planning to use Canare Star Quad L-4E6S from Markertek for $0.51/ft.

For the split I'd like to terminate it into a female plug so that the main cable will be disconnect-able. It might add some weight but it will add a "swivel", which I find to me a major annoyance of Grados. What type of two conductor cable should I use for that?

Also, what type of glue do you use to reassemble the cups?

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 35
Hot glue, just run of the mill stuff for the high-temp glue guns. I mean, you could use any really, silicone, gorilla glue, epoxy etc... BUT if you need to fix something in the future, good luck getting them apart.

Brendan

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 35
I forgot to post a BOM...here it is:

-Mogami Mini-quad (W2893)
-3/16" Nylon Multifilament
-Switchcraft HD35ABAU 3.5mm Plug
-1/2" 3:1 Dual-wall Adhesive Heatshrink
-Black Paracord Sheathing (just take the inner paracord strands out)
-Misc. Heatshrink (I believe I used 3/32" for the portion after the y-split, common 2:1 stuff)
-Hot Glue
-Zip Ties (to create the strain relief within the cups)

Brendan

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #23 of 35
Hey Brendan ,
Your mod inspired me to do one on my sr80i,
I was wondering about your preference for mogami over canare.
Is there a difference in Sound Quality or do you think its just easier to work with? (referring to the mogami ones that is)
I'm about to order some canare ones right now. Is there really a difference between Japan over American?

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 35
Very nice and clean build .. I really want  to re-cable my SR-80s .. the factory sheathing has some annoying twists, and its not very soft/flexible.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 35
If you solder carefully, you shouldn't have any problem.  Remember to tint up your iron.  Remember to add solder rather than trying to borrow it from what's there. Heat and tint up the wires you want to solder, then make sure you are adding solder to what's there on the pad.  Don't solder with the very tip, but a little to the side.  For best results, remember that you are trying to (1) feed solder, (2) heat the wire, instead of the pad, and (3) keep the wire in place with your soldering hand so that you're not soldering as a brace.  If you do this right, you'll be in and out fairly quickly and cleanly.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back