A photo from yesterday
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 34
The combined weight of all ants is greater than the combined weight of all humans.
Ant brains are the largest amongst insects. Mushroom shaped brain appendages have function similar to the gray-matter of human brains.
It has been estimated that an ant's brain may have the same processing power as a Macintosh II computer.
Copied from Here.

Very cool pic, where can I get pics like that?

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The combined weight of all ants is greater than the combined weight of all humans.
Ant brains are the largest amongst insects. Mushroom shaped brain appendages have function similar to the gray-matter of human brains.
It has been estimated that an ant's brain may have the same processing power as a Macintosh II computer.
Copied from Here.

excellent factlets!
i want to be an ant in my next life. maybe the one after that, too.

Quote:

Very cool pic, where can I get pics like that?

space.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 34
What a cool image! I heard the estimate of attendees was ~1 million. Does anyone know of a more accurate estimate? I am reminded of the ariel pictures of Woodstock '69. Smaller attendance at ~500 million. Check out the Aerial View. I didn't not attend either.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see homo sapiens!..wheres my laser gun? ..
biggrin.gif

oh man..this is ridiculous..

what drives these people?

Dude, the 2nd and 3rd lines do not belong to this thread or to head-fi since politics are not allowed in the forums...

That said, great photo, what time was it taken?

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 34
Two things come to mind:

Wow, the unemployment rate is way up

And

Where were the bathrooms
confused_face.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a cool image! I heard the estimate of attendees was ~1 million. Does anyone know of a more accurate estimate? I am reminded of the ariel pictures of Woodstock '69. Smaller attendance at ~500 million. Check out the Aerial View. I didn't not attend either.

estimates have been anywhere from "more than a million" to "1.8 million." there also were a lot (and i mean a lot) of people turned away.

basically, estimating crowds is at best an inexact science, at worst a joke.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 34
Makes me realize how small we are in this universe.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's Waldo?

Found him!
dccm20jan20099701pw9.jpg

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
estimates have been anywhere from "more than a million" to "1.8 million." there also were a lot (and i mean a lot) of people turned away.

CNN reported there were more than 8000 people with valid tickets turned away when the gates were closed at 11:30. It was mentioned the promoters "overbooked" the reservations.... just like the airlines do.
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #28 of 34
Ha, ants? More like magnetic filings. Nice

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #29 of 34
I wonder exactly when the picture was taken.

TheRobbStory, do you live within walking distance. We didn't go because my wife has disabilities that would make the crowds on Metro hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two things come to mind:

Wow, the unemployment rate is way up

And

Where were the bathrooms
confused_face.gif

Before hand, they were saying that it was going to be 1 porta potty for every 8000 people. Even if that was for the worst case of 4.5 million people, it still not a good ratio with 1 million people. And they were saying BYOTP, bring your own toilet paper. They were anticipating running out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back