A peek inside the Rotel RCD-991
Feb 14, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #16 of 28
Compare these to the older pics in my first post....
Most of the stock Blackgates F capacitors(18 of them!) were removed and replaced with Sanyo Os-Cons, Elna RJH etc
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The stock power reservoir caps were also replaced with Panasonic FCs.
For the analogue output caps, the stock Nichicon Muse KZs were replaced by Elna Cerafines.

overallmods025sz.jpg

overallmods037av.jpg

overallmods048lj.jpg

auricap5hp.jpg

panaelnatop4cx.jpg

panafront4zw.jpg

panaside7gj.jpg

panaelnaback8uz.jpg

Its not over yet......
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The I/V stage opamps are single channel (ne5534 stock), but the buffer/se->bal opamp at the back (opa2604 stock) is a dual. The picture shows a 2xsingle to dual browndog adapter.

Where can you buy the dual adapter?

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #20 of 28
Cimarron Technology, Inc.

IMO there are much better things to use here than opa627s. Mine currently uses ths4031s for I/V and AD8599s for the buffer, but they required some serious bypassing and you can't use sockets. Going to discrete I/V stage next, but it sounds very good right now.

Some of the other mods in this thread seem rather silly as well, particularly the stacked panasonic FCs replacing the stock nichicon great supply caps. Not sure what is going on with the regulator up by the PCM63s that looks like it is airwired...

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #21 of 28
Can anyone post a picture of its DAC chip? Or just tell me - it's PCM63P Korea or Japan on it?

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 28
The original PCM63Ps in mine were Korea, lot #s 9919 and 9917. At least I think those were the lot numbers. They were soldered into the board, and the player did not appear to have been worked on at that point. The board is pretty easy to work on soldering / de-soldering-wise also. Very high quality PCB.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 28
The Rotel RCD-991 is an EXCELLENT redbook CD player with a TON of modification potential. I know, because I use to own an RCD-971 (not as nice as the 991, but shared a lot of the same basic design.)

Here's a picture of the one I use to own. It had an LC Audio Zapfiilter (including a new toroidal transformer and improved analog plugs/wiring) / LClock XO installed in it, and the Burr-brown op-amps were also doubled up.) Sometimes I regret selling it, since it was so much fun to spent my time upgrading it.

Here's an old web page I created many years ago detailing the modifications. Hopefully, there's something useful in there for you. Good luck and keep the modifications coming!

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 28
Thanx a lot Pars!

Mine is Korea, too, so I had to be sure, as people asked questions about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back