A note of caution
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 42
People ask the same questions so many times that it isn't rare for someone to have already gone through all the motions before. The example given (the AD700's) are so universally suggested as gaming headphones, that you wouldn't exactly be in the wrong for suggesting them to someone as such, even though you haven't heard them. If someone can't use the search function to find the other hundred threads on the issue (not that we aren't all guilty of doing this) then I'd say opinions formed based on experience with the exact same issue are fine.

It's much more helpful (in my opinion) to hear someone say that a headphone is great for my needs, than to hear nothing at all. From there I could search and find all the information available for that particular headphone, even if the person suggesting them can't give me a first hand review of them. No one (except the wealthy I suppose..) should be making buying decisions based on one guy that hasn't heard the headphones (or amp, or whatever) in question.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect example

Did you read the rest of my post or did you just Ctrl+F it?

Maybe I should take back that comment about you not meaning it to sound pretentious...

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People ask the same questions so many times that it isn't rare for someone to have already gone through all the motions before. The example given (the AD700's) are so universally suggested as gaming headphones, that you wouldn't exactly be in the wrong for suggesting them to someone as such, even though you haven't heard them. If someone can't use the search function to find the other hundred threads on the issue (not that we aren't all guilty of doing this) then I'd say opinions formed based on experience with the exact same issue are fine.

It's much more helpful (in my opinion) to hear someone say that a headphone is great for my needs, than to hear nothing at all. From there I could search and find all the information available for that particular headphone, even if the person suggesting them can't give me a first hand review of them. No one (except the wealthy I suppose..) should be making buying decisions based on one guy that hasn't heard the headphones (or amp, or whatever) in question.

Excellent response!

Good example:
Asker: Are AD700s good for gaming?
Response: There is favorable consensus on Head-Fi for the AD700 as gaming headphones.

Bad example:
Asker: Are AD700s good for gaming?
Response: I never heard them but many on Head-Fi like them so therefore I recommend them.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what prompted this outburst?

I mean... I agree, reviews and opinions are generally more valuable from people who have actual experience with the equipment that they are reviewing or about which they are opining. But I don't know that I'd start a thread about it without a pretty significant trigger event.

Peace.

You are better off reading between the lines on most of the reviews as well.
Start trusting when 10-20 people come into the thread that actually own them and endorse them.
But the most important is to ignore the post count as a sign of knowledge.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #21 of 42
The idea behind this thread is too variable.

A lot of folks spread some very valuable information while others spread trash-- it's pretty much the same law that applies to the rest of the internet; for every piece of gold you find, you'll find a thousand clumps of crap.

Always research before you buy unless you've found members who have very similar tastes as you do.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always research before you buy unless you've found members who have very similar tastes as you do.

Yes I agree. Just look at how many members share the same headphone, thus said headphone will likely be suggested more... does this mean it's a better headphone for the occasion called for in the requesting thread? No, it just means more people own this headphone and you should too, kinda like join our cult!

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoorah. It will still happen though.

People forget that audio is bloody subjective so if Bob thinks they sound a bit bright, James could think they aren't while Simon thinks they are ear damaging. Christen thinks the bass is tight and punchy while DJ SlaM is shocked by the lack of bass. Jessica can't get over the fit issue and give it a fail. Tom, a violist, has negative comments on the tonality. Theo says the sound stage is bang on perfect while Billy says it is too big and unnatural. Neil thinks it's only worth xxx and yyy is a stupid price but Peter says the cost doesn't matter if the sound is good. Duncan comments that the stock cable is crap and everyone should recable them but Lisa thinks the recable didn't improve the sound.

If the people who all own the headphone can't agree on certain things, why do you think you have a good enough understanding of it, to be able to give out a verdict/recommendation?

one of the best comments ive ever read.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #24 of 42
People should qualify their statements. I don't mind if the person never heard it, but when making a recommendation he should qualify that he hasn't actually heard it, this is based on what he's read or heard about.

Also better if the person states what kind of listener he is. I always mention that I'm a bass head so that people have a point of reference when I talk about certain cans. That way they can expect that I'm talking from a bass-heavy perspective.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #25 of 42
Isnt all these "I'VE READ SOMEWHERE..."
"THEY LOOK LIKE..."
"I CAN IMAGINE..."
"MY MOTHER SAYS..." same as I read some random guys opinion on the forum? I mean who should I trust more, my imagination based on my experiences or some random joe? I have listened to D2000 and D5000, so I presume the sound of D7000. what is wrong with that? it is better than taking opinion on D7000 from metal head who hates it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so are we still ok to tell people to aviod gear we've never heard (read: beats by dr dre)?

Yes. 1000 times yes.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 42
couldn't of said it better myself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoorah. It will still happen though.

People forget that audio is bloody subjective so if Bob thinks they sound a bit bright, James could think they aren't while Simon thinks they are ear damaging. Christen thinks the bass is tight and punchy while DJ SlaM is shocked by the lack of bass. Jessica can't get over the fit issue and give it a fail. Tom, a violist, has negative comments on the tonality. Theo says the sound stage is bang on perfect while Billy says it is too big and unnatural. Neil thinks it's only worth xxx and yyy is a stupid price but Peter says the cost doesn't matter if the sound is good. Duncan comments that the stock cable is crap and everyone should recable them but Lisa thinks the recable didn't improve the sound.

If the people who all own the headphone can't agree on certain things, why do you think you have a good enough understanding of it, to be able to give out a verdict/recommendation?

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea behind this thread is too variable.

A lot of folks spread some very valuable information while others spread trash-- it's pretty much the same law that applies to the rest of the internet; for every piece of gold you find, you'll find a thousand clumps of crap.

Or go to a place that filters out the crap,
alternatively, the search function works really well here as well as the meet section. I agree that it's tough to filter it out and some places/people do it better than others.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get you, Ear Damage.
You started a thread all about how people shouldn't state their opinions unless they have solid personal experience with that exact product.
You even write:

'I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums than give my opinions on headphones I have absolutely no experience with. '

Yet a few hours later you start another thread stating this when referring to the A30:

'More than likely it will sound worse than their bigger brother, the A40'

Sounds to me like you haven't heard them...yet make an assumption about how they sound.

Personally it doesn't bug me if a person makes an opinion with no direct experience, but but makes that opinion based on information he has researched, so long as he makes a small disclaimer stating such. For example: From what I have read... etc.

But you contradict yourself in your first thread by what you write in your second. That's what I find amusing.
Colour me reactionary, but isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?
evil_smiley.gif

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back