A not so ghetto Grado mod (;
Apr 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

peepee-king

100+ Head-Fier
I was messing around with one of my brothers spare headsets, an el cheapo Power Wave thing. Horrible headphones, but they have a half decent self adjusting headband. After taking the thing apart I found that the Grado SR80i housing could be fit into the headband seamlessly. No mods to the Grado housing at all so it's completely reversible.

I have to say that it's many times more comfortable than the stock set. The drivers only swivel 180 degrees meaning no more tangled Y split. They're also foldable, if that means anything. I'm going to order a Beyer headband to put over it as a finishing touch but I'm very happy with the current result. I'm pretty sure these are the headphones I used, except mine was USB. I have no idea where you can source them though.

I'll try post details if people are interested...

Here are some pics:

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 42
That looks pretty awesome, actually.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 42
what was the brand of those crappy headphones? and how much did they cost?

it's a cool mod, I wanna try it

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 42
Great mod. I'd almost buy a pair of Grado's just to try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 42
this is not ghetto... this is win. The Grados now look good and makes me wanna buy a set lol

1 - Please post the crap model you scraped
2 - Would any higher end Grado also work out the same way?

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is not ghetto... this is win. The Grados now look good and makes me wanna buy a set lol

1 - Please post the crap model you scraped
2 - Would any higher end Grado also work out the same way?

I posted the crap set at the bottom, I guess I'll move it up to make it more visible.

All the new 'i' models, MS2s and SR325i(s)s (assuming they have the same mushroom mold) will fit. Looking at the shape of the RS1, I'm quite certain it won't work. The headbands circular pieces sit between the mushroom extrusion and attached pads (bowls, comfies etc). I wen't a step further, though not totally neccessary, and hot glued it together. It stops it from moving inbetween. I can always remove the glue since it's pretty weak to begin with.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 42
Noted! Cheers guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back