a non audiophile experience with high end audio (1 month)
Jan 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hamoor

Head-Fier
good day head-fiers.
i would like to share my rocky trip to the audiophile goodness for any non-audiophile who is afraid to set into this beautiful (and expensive) world of hi-fi audio.
shall we begin?
i always loved music (from rock, classical, pop you name it) on my phone/ipod using their cheap stock earbuds.
my real audiophile experience started ironically enough, with a pair of the infamous Dr dre beats studio.
i was so astonished from the skull shattering volumes and bass the beats provide from my tiny ipod.

i knew no better and i thought nothing will tops off this monster (no pun intended) beside the pro variation.
anyway, my friend bought IEM klipsch (i dont know the model) and i tried it and truly blew me away!
not the loudness, not the booming bass, but the "detail" was out of this world.
he told me about head-fi where he got his suggestion for the klispch and how there are way better cans than the dr dre ones.

i couldnt believe it! could it sound any better than the klipsch and my beats?
so i gave head-fi a try looking for the ultimate headphone that will rock my world.
after a little bit research i laid my eyes on the sennheiser HD650.
without hesitation, ive ordered it from amazon on the fastest delivery possible!
i was so excited i couldnt wait a couple days to try them!
my package was on the door, i rushed to open the box to see this beauty.
so i plugged it into my ipod and....wait a minute! why the volume is so low? why the bass is so weak? is this what all people are praising?
i was so disappointed from a cans that supposed to be among the best in it price range.

so i wrote a rant about how much they suck compared to the beats on head-fi.
after some replies i knew my mistake... i need an amp!
so i said alrighty! lets get us some new amp to drive this beast.

so (i know this part is difficult to swallow) and indeed i bought an amp.
the FiiO E5!!!! i plugged it again but this time with an amp and yet, no difference!!
i thought that all this audiophile terms and sweet talk is just bullsh*t from head-fi users.
so again i got couple replies implying that i should get a better amp so i figured maybe they are right this time.
so again, i bought the FiiO E7 and noticed just a liiilttle bit of an improvement overall so back again to ranting on head-fi.
i was so disappointed that i thought about selling my hd650 and all those fiios and get back to the beats.
so after more research that should be done before a buy those weak fiios, i realized that portable amps just wont cut it.
so i figured i give the audiophile in me one more last chance, if there is no improvement, then to hell with it!!!

shortly enough, i bought the FiiO E9 and paired it with it younger sibling the E7.
plugged it into my laptop through the usb.. my heart was beating so fast that am afraid this will be also i waste of money.
so plugged my hd650 into the amp/dac combo and played "racing green" by high contrast and sweet mother of god!!!
the detail was nothing i ever heard before!! the bass was strong, but this time it was clean and controlled!! 
i used to listen to muddy, bloated boomy basses but this time it was much cleaner but yet, strong and impactful.
i realized that its not about ear piercing volumes, nor about boomy bass.
you can get ear shattering volume from skullcandy/beats but you lose detail.
you can get boomy bass but it will sound muddy and overwhelming.

this, is pure audio bliss!
the detail, the big soundstage, the sounds that you never heard in your favorite tracks!
and now that i got the denon ah-d2000 and the nuforce HD, i cant be any happier audiophile!

moral of this (TL;DR) story is that you cant just buy a high end cans and except a night day difference!
there is tons of headphones from the sunny bright grados to the dark, laid back senns.
dont give up just because you got the wrong headphone/amp/dac for your taste.
and once you get exactly what you were looking for, believe me that it will blow the beats/skullcandy etc out of the freaking water!!!
there is just no comparison!

all you have to do is dont rush, know exactly what you are looking for, do your research and sit back and enjoy the heavenly bliss of the hi-fi audio
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Somebody please save this post to bring up whenever somebody inquires about Beats on Head-Fi.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Guess I will be the first to say congratulations!

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 8
My story is exactly like yours. What a revelation when I heard those HD650's!

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 8
glad i stuck with easy to drive headphones.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Yea and that's a good thing. Companies like Grado, Sennheiser etc... deserve to get more customers. 

Quote:
its amazing how many people beats by dre actually got into real hi fi audio. i would have never brought good headphones if i hadnt brought beats studios :)

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
its amazing how many people beats by dre actually got into real hi fi audio. i would have never brought good headphones if i hadnt brought beats studios :)

That's the whole paradox of Head-Fi. We nearly universally dismiss the Beats, but the current headphone fad is the single greatest fuel this forum has seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back