A non-audiophile’s layman-terms impressions of the sacred Sennheiser HD 650
Apr 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #31 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this review you did a really good job with it...when i listen to music i dont think in terms of sibilance or at what frequency do certain things. I just listen and like certain things and hate other things.

I really want to try these cans out and this review made it even harder to resist, when my wallet recovers from the last round of purchases i think i will check these cans out.

Without a doubt, the entry price is quite steep, but in the end I think it's worth it. I'll sort of warn you now that if you are getting fresh new cans, some of your music will be different yet some sound the same. I just think the whole burn in does have quite an impact. Also as mentioned before, manipulating the EQ seems to break the veil that I first encountered - where the sound is there and has that clarity and works in layers, but doesn't have that same kick to it. The relationship with the 650 isn't quite "grab you by the neck the second you put them on". When you put them on you can hear the difference for sure, and see where your extra $500 that you pumped into went, but its when you listen to it over time which really opens up the cans, is what I'm trying to say. So don't be down if your music doesn't quite make that jump you were looking for, it will come with time.

I also recommend (I'm at the 60 hour mark writing this) that you stick with the stock cables for now. This makes upgrading the cables seem that much different, and your ears won't take the jump for granted, so to speak. The stock cables are actually pretty good, in my opinion.

I'm really thinking about getting a proper dedicated amp now (yes I know its been stated lots of times in lots of reviews) as the volume on my Audiobox is around the 11-12 o clock position, some of the bass gets fazed out especially for R&B stuff like Galactica Suite by Simon Grey, which really gets heavy on the bass. The pumping bass is distorted and cuts into the treble. This is when I curve the bass side of the EQ up about maybe 1/3 of the way from zero db to max. Without EQ, there isn't bass distortion, but it comes at the price of flat music.

Would the amp help boost up the signal and not get distortion that significantly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back