A non-audiophile’s layman-terms impressions of the sacred Sennheiser HD 650
Apr 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 31
I think a lot of head-fi'ers could strive to be less jargonistic (apparently this is not a word) in their reviews. From time to time there are places where you have to use technical terms for precision. However, I think a lot of it is just trying to fit into head-fi, showing you know the nomenclature. I try to use the least technical terms possible. When technical terms are mandated, I try to explain them in non-technical terms parenthetically as best as possible.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 31
I've been drooling over the 650s for a while now... maybe I'll pick one up eventually. I love the monologue style of review! In the case of my Grados it would be more along the lines of:

Me: "Okay, let's play some Rush."
325i Goldies: "Are you sure you're ready? Okay, here goes... TURN ME UP AND SEE HOW MUCH YOUR EARS CAN HANDLE!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
"

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 31
Great read!!! Been thinking about the 650s for weeks now....will probably get an amp first, but the Senns will be at the top of the purchase list soon. =) thanks again....

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 31
Nice review. Some things I like about the HD650: it is the least-flawed headphone I have ever heard, it has high detail and instrument separation without relying on heavy treble and lack of midrange body like with the K701, and it just sounds "right." I cannot complain about the sound the HD650 produces (besides lack of bass extension, which is due to my under-amping, and not very important to me given how good the HD650 sounds) - the only other headphone this is true for is the KSC-35, which I probably go easy on because of its cheap price. After 3 1/2 years of going through many headphones, I finally tried out the HD650, and have found my reference sound.

From what I literally hear (as in with my ears and brain), the HD650 (new version) is for those who (whom?) appreciate refined, extremely well-balanced sound. Those who want to be amazed (by exaggerated, colored sound, generally in the bass and treble) and/or are looking for a very strong beat probably won't like the HD650.

I'm interested in all of those traits, but realize that refined, balanced sound and exaggeration for the purpose of fun are impossible to find in one headphone (the D7000, while it had some refinement, was ultimately the latter type of headphone due to extreme bass and treble and lack of midrange body - too expensive for its sound signature, to me). So I just got a DT770 Pro (which has failed to impress; its bass is poor and more slow than impactful) and will receive an HFI-780 on Thursday. The HFI-780 will be for music that I think needs over-emphasized bass and for computer games, while the HD650 is and will be for everything else (although I am enjoying the HD650 currently as a gaming headphone - it has quite a bit of impact on gunshots and explosions, for instance, and the soundstaging is good).

edited to add: ((((PARENTHESES)))), I like them

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 31
I have recently bought a pair of HD650's and they have taken over my life!! I just can't stop listening to them. The range of music that sounds great with the 650's is huge (although do agree rock does sound a little laid back). Love the detailed and balanced sound. As ferraro says my music collection just sounds 'right' with these babies.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlike most members on Head-fi, you understand the value of taking good pictures. Nice job and and interesting review.

Photography with my Canon Rebel XT DSLR just happens to be my other hobby. Man I've got expensive hobbies.

This was going to be my second major purchase of 2009 - I'm looking forward to getting the 18-200 mm IS lens at around $700 CDN. Man I need image stabilizing, BADLY!

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 31
Really nice review ! Not the kind of review where you get at the end and wish it was longer. Really thinking about those headphones when I get more money to spend !

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagail118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice review ! Not the kind of review where you get at the end and wish it was longer. Really thinking about those headphones when I get more money to spend !

Usually before posting on forums, if I know its going to be a long one, I type it all out on MS word before posting. This is just incase the internet goes funny and 404s on me when I click submit. The post was taking up close to 6 pages long at 12 point type. I couldn't believe I could talk that much on a subject I didn't know all that much about.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my thoughts and impressions.

A few questions.

1) I like using the equalizer in foobar2000 as my main music application, and have all the major codecs so I can play FLAC and OGG files, does the player really make that much difference, whether its Foobar, Windows Media Player, Core Player etc?

2) I read that certain audiophiles will NEVER touch the equalizer. But I find that everything set at zero just makes it rather plain. I think that's where the whole veil thing comes into play. Once I experiemented with the EQ, I set it to something I like (usually the settings from left to right look like a mini "W") but the bass settings is no where near as dramatic as the treble, since I'm already getting distortion at around plus 5 db.

There are arguements for pro and cons of this, namely because its "messing around" with the fidelity or the true sound that the composer wanted. I'm personally more interested in making whats best for my ears and suits my taste. I may have done a cardinal sin here, but the entire point of me upgrading to these phones is to listen to music for my personal enjoyment, really. I turned up the treble a bit to make it more lively and less distant.

I don't know if this is the audiophile equalvent of those who don't mind watching anime with English dubs. Now that's something I'm vehemently opposed to. Subtitles 4 lyfe.

3) The Presonus Audiobox basically acts like an amp, DAC, and soundcard all in one handy dandy shell. This equipment really is meant more for recording through microphone, but it suits my needs for music listening. My settings currently are:

48V - OFF
Mixer - Playback (dial all the way to the right, as opposed to inputs)
Phones - dial around the 11-12 range, and thats quite loud enough for me.
Main - dial all the way to the right where the marker says "10".

Any ideas or comments if this setting is not correct? According to the guys at Axe, this is where it should be, and so far I concur.

I've been thinking of getting a seperate amp (mainly the Presonus HP4 which as 4 headphone outputs, perfect for me to plug in my 555s as a comparison rather than having to take out the one plug) just to try to get extra juice. Maybe this might help to boost up the bass without worrying about distortion you think? The HP4 amp is about $170 CDN ( in the USA its for about $99 but then again, its in the US, hence its cheaper). Other fun stuff I could look into is the EQB3 - also from Presonus. Basically it just looks like a physical equalizer rather than fiddling around with your virtual one in your foobar etc.

Oh god my wallet got raped badly, it hates me forever.
Don't even get me started on upgrading the cables. : (

I've had these 650s on now for around the 50 hour mark and they've certainly opened up. This "veil" business practically doesn't exist after working around with the EQ.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 31
I love this review you did a really good job with it...when i listen to music i dont think in terms of sibilance or at what frequency do certain things. I just listen and like certain things and hate other things.

I really want to try these cans out and this review made it even harder to resist, when my wallet recovers from the last round of purchases i think i will check these cans out.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #30 of 31
Nice review. These are next on my list and have been for a few months. I want to have a couple of very different headphones for the library of highly differentiating music I listen to. I have to wait for my WA6 SE to arrive before I have any extra spending money. Although far from being rich I feel very fortunate to be able to afford great pieces of gear such as these to hear music through. If I was rich I'd be on an audiophile home theatre site too! Maybe some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back