A Nice Surprise - Radio Shack Cables
Jul 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
When I hooked up my new Audioengine A2's with the S8 sub, I needed some long RCA audio cables...and didn't want to pay megabucks.

Stopped into Radio Shack, expecting to get their standard AV cables, the ones we've used for years for non-critical stuff.

But they had a new house brand named AUVIO...they looked OK and the 12-footers RCA L-R cables were about $30 each, so I tried them.

(Actually they might not be new...I haven't been in an RS for years)

I found the packaging was very good...a big notch up from the plastic bag most of their cables come in.

The cables themselves are very thick, and so are the gold-plated connectors. And they lost their coil very quickly...that helped me get the distance I needed without losing a foot to coils. They straightened out almost immediately.

And they sound good! Again, they're being used to connect my Compass to the S8, and then the S8 to the A2's. PC speakers...and for them I was pretty satisfied.

My one question...is $30 for a 12 foot RCA cable, of somewhat better quality, too much to pay?

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 37
In the latest issue of Stereophile, Art Dudley reviewed Radio Shack interconnects very positively. He concluded that his $4000 stereo reviewer ics sounded better, but he challenged his readers to decide whether they could justify the higher expenses of interconnects for themselves.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 37
It all boils down to your belief system. The Radio Shack cables certainly measure the same as any other. I don't think you paid too much, though. That's a fair price for a well made cable.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 37
I think most of the opinions you will hear here is that $30 for 12' of RCA is too little to pay. I don't have any experience with these cables, but in my experience, $30 is about the low end for a good 1 meter RCA cable (used or a new RCA from Blue Jean Cable). Since 12 ft is a less common length, take a peek at Blue Jean cable and see what their price is for ea. additional foot. Could be reasonable. I don't remember what their return policy is. But if they offer a trial period, you could compare them with the Radio Shack cords (Radio Shack has a 30 day return policy on most everything they sell).

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 37
Not too much, but knowing radioshack I'm betting you can get similar quality for less.

Also, these types of questions always boils down to whether you believe that cables make a difference or not. For the typical non-believer, I think $30 is a good limit for a high-quality, well-built cable that fits snugly, keeps its shape, looks nice, and doesn't scratch up your rca jacks.

Also, this thread should be moved to the cable forum.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 37
if youre happy with them...then call it a day =)

I do stick with better made cables then Radio shack, call me crazy. However, i do notice differences with RCA and Power cables. Its mostly due to the shield of the wire and interference. Also, seems some radio shack cables are much better then others...in build quality mainly though. Better, stronger connectors, better shielded wire...there are tons of things that make a expensive cable expensive.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I in the right forum? (for sale?)

Yes, i think he placed it in the wrong forum, im sure a mod will move it soon =)

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the latest issue of Stereophile, Art Dudley reviewed Radio Shack interconnects very positively. He concluded that his $4000 stereo reviewer ics sounded better, but he challenged his readers to decide whether they could justify the higher expenses of interconnects for themselves.

Someone must have pulled their advertising from Stereophile
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 37
My apologies...

Meant to put this in the 'Cables' area, not a 'For Sale' area.

Mr. Mod...would you be so kind?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 37
a trusted source tells me the auvio cables are exactly the same as the fusion,rs gold cables. minus the ferrite barrel. as many of you know the barrel degraded the sound. so radioshack left it off this time. the reason they keep changing the name of the same product is just marketing i am told. these cables are now also "zipped" together on the l-r audio cables. they easily come apart though.

can someone point me to art dudley's review? i take it you meant august 2009. he reviewed the cheapest rs speaker cable "in listening 80" and said it was utter trash. i take it that is not the review "catachresis" was speaking of!

edit: i was by a shack tonite. i looked at them. they do not look the same as the fusion did. i don't know how they sound. they look cheap and are made in china. the fusion was "hand assembled in usa". oh well.

music_man

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too much, but knowing radioshack I'm betting you can get similar quality for less.

I've recently given some opinion about cables with a bunch of crap PVC dielectric, so I won't get into that (I'm not a fan, BTW). I'm a firm believer in voting with your wallet. I am also cheap. I buy nearly everything online, and a fair bit of it is used (how else could you get lab grade test equipment for 3% of the original cost?). But, I do love having Radio Shack around. I like to build gear, and they have saved me a few times when I needed a cap or resistor in a hurry, or a cable to hook up something for a family member when I'm visiting. So, sometimes when I'm buying something I know I could get cheap online, I stop at the Shack anyway. Though, I just moved to a town (middle of nowhere) that has an independent radio parts store that is stuck a couple of decades back. So now whenever I need something I check with them first!

You should spend your $$ wherever you see fit. I'm just saying that I'm happy Radio Shack still exists, and I'm happy to pay a few extra bucks in the hopes that it will live on, and continue to have stuff that I can use (I don't need decorations for my cell phone).

Paul
BTW, their 18 gauge solid core hookup wire was a Stereophile recommended component for a good number of years (when used as a twisted pair for speaker cable). You can do far worse. That doesn't mean I agree with Sam Tellig on much of anything else.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 37
rs used to be a serious parts store. if you are old enough you remember. i used to get top of the line ham equipment there and quality tubes. the store that is stuck a decade back is probably more usefull. you can buy ipods and cheap hdmi cables anywhere. rs was the last place. finally they had to give in to the times to stay afloat. the 12g. megacable probably would have been on stereophiles "a" list. at least i say it should have been. that was real good stuff.

per this thread the fusion was like a $500 cable for $25. it closed out at a couple of bucks finally. i cheer whomever bought that stuff. there is no more to be had. at least at a rs store. there is nothing of use to a serious hobbiest anymore. the resistors,caps,ic's are all useless. they are not needed values and they are not quality. once they carried mylar and oil audio caps. i kid you not. maybe someone else remembers too. i don't think i will find myself in their store ever again unless by chance. i posted in this old thread because i talked to a friend who is a district manager. he was obviously incorrect. the auvio are not the fusion,rs gold.

i would like to know where art dudley says they are anygood. not in my magazine!

right now i am listening to a highly modded realistic pro 2006. a true classic. rs had their good times. i guess they are behind them now. it doesn't matter. they now sell what most average people want. we here are a small community.

music_man

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #15 of 37
I can barely remember the pre-cell phone RS! I can recall seeing things like the pod super tweeters when I was a kid. I thought they were cheesy looking even then! Now, given the price they bring on Ebay, I wish I had stocked up! I know it used to be a much better store, but its what we've got left. Heck, if they still sold fullrange speaker drivers, the world might be a better place, but I wouldn't have my little venture!

I certainly don't head there for high end parts. I use their carbon film resistors sometimes, and I have sometimes found a little 'lytic to fix some PCB. I have a couple of things in RS project boxes, though my favorite one was a closeout!

The world is a different place now. I do wish I could run down the street and buy an oil cap, but I sure wouldn't trade my ability to pay a measly couple of bucks for a Russian Military Surplus Teflon cap (ebay) for it!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back