A nice new DAC2 from Benchmark showing at RMAF
Feb 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #181 of 247
I just wish they had sorted the clicks and pops out before releasing it.

The DAC1-HDR is like a fine piece of furniture; the master craftsman's finest work, perfected over generations of tweaks and improvement until it is a masterpiece.

The DAC2 is a bit rough and ready by comparison.  Yes, it sounds great.  But it is rough around the edges.  I *hate* the loud pop when switching to analogue input for example. It's really naff.  The DAC1 was always so impeccably behaved and to go from that to the uncouth DAC2 is a bit of a let down to be honest.  Yes, it sounds great and that's the most important thing.  But I can't help think that the DAC2 MK1.1 will be a bit more polished than my 1.0 version is.

Agreed, the analogue switch thing is somewhat annoying in this price range, but that being said, I rarely switch to analogue inputs so it's not much of a problem.
All in all, still pretty happy with my purchase :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #182 of 247
  I have this in house again. it is really good for the price. what kills it for me is all the led's. didn't they think people would use this in a home theater or bedroom? I had tape over the dac1's leds. if I tape all these it is going to look awful. I know others have mentioned this elsewhere. it is s a shame that has to be a deal breaker for me. I like it better than the stereo192 for instance. however, when you figure this is also a preamp it becomes a bargain.

Here's a suggestion that might help with the LEDs.  Get a piece of dark but transparent plastic, cut it to size, and affix it over the offending LEDs with double sided Scotch Magic Tape.  You can even "adjust" the brightness of the LEDs by using darker or lighter plastic, or even change the color of the LEDs by using different colored plastic.  It's easily done and doesn't require any. electrical alterations.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #183 of 247
I just hate do that. it makes a piece of $2,000 equipment look like a school project. I am thinking maybe I would wait for the next version as well. I bet they do dsdx4,add a display and get rid of the click. plus other refinements. agreed, the dac1 was polished over ten years. if you want it now.....but there are other dacs. perhaps maybe not a beter one for 2 grand though. I am guessing they will release a new one as this is now a piece of consumer equipment. our market demands this.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #185 of 247
these are all good. just in different ways. they each have their own sound. the nad is interesting in the way it works. more like the much more expensive ones. the problem is I need a half size component.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #186 of 247
Hey all, just have quick question (applicable to every all-in-one AMP+DAC unit, but I'm asking here since I've the Benchmark in my possession). If I'm planning on getting a standalone amp and using the Benchmark DAC2-HGC as a DAC (connected via RCA), will the amp inside the Benchmark still color the sound somehow? Or will it be bypassed altogether? 

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #187 of 247
the op amps on the rca outputs have a sound. the headphone amp inside the dac2 has no influence on the rca output whatsoever. well it could but benchmark knows how to design a circuit. so I would not worry about that.

May 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #188 of 247
The DAC2 is a bit rough and ready by comparison.  Yes, it sounds great.  But it is rough around the edges.  I *hate* the loud pop when switching to analogue input for example. It's really naff.  The DAC1 was always so impeccably behaved and to go from that to the uncouth DAC2 is a bit of a let down to be honest.  Yes, it sounds great and that's the most important thing.  But I can't help think that the DAC2 MK1.1 will be a bit more polished than my 1.0 version is.

That's funny, I got the opposite impression. The relay switching inside the DAC means that the analog inputs are completely disconnected from the rest of the components unless they are actually in use. It's a sign of good design, and I find it reassuring. It would have been easier to not include the relays and simply leave the analog inputs connected at all times, but that would potentially allow external noise into the DAC.

I do, however, wish that there was some way to dim and disable the LED display.
An "auto" mode which showed the sample rate for maybe 10 seconds every time there's a change and then turned off would be nice too.

I currently have some silver "light dims" on the front of my DAC which is a bit better than simply covering the DAC with electrical tape, but still far from ideal.
It makes the DAC comfortable to use at night, while still being able to see the display. It's not so easy to read during the day though.

The thing is, I've found the LED display on the front to be quite useful at times, but once I've confirmed that everything is working correctly, I don't need to see it.
I would be a lot happier if they used red, amber, or emerald green LEDs (not those old ugly yellow-green LEDs) instead of blue. Blue is just too distracting out of the corner of your eye, and piercing in a dark room.

I'd also prefer the front had a bead-blasted finish like Apple hardware, rather than brushed, but I'm reasonably happy with how the DAC looks.

May 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #189 of 247
That's funny, I got the opposite impression. The relay switching inside the DAC means that the analog inputs are completely disconnected from the rest of the components unless they are actually in use.

Yes, that's how the DAC1 works and you get no clicks of pops when switching inputs. They seem to have messed it up with the DAC2 though.  Unless mine is faulty, but I have spoken to Benchmark about it and they say it's perfectly normal that the DAC2 does this.  Quite disappointing.

May 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #190 of 247
I would much rather have the analogue input circuitry completely "offline" when it's not in use. I don't find myself using the line in much tho, it almost always serves as a DAC for me.

May 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #191 of 247
Yes, that's how the DAC1 works and you get no clicks of pops when switching inputs. They seem to have messed it up with the DAC2 though. Unless mine is faulty, but I have spoken to Benchmark about it and they say it's perfectly normal that the DAC2 does this. Quite disappointing.

I'm not clear on what you're describing.

Are you saying that you get clicks and pops through your speakers/headphones when switching to the analog inputs?
Or are you saying that you get a clicking noise from inside the DAC itself?

You should not be hearing clicks through your speakers/headphones when switching to/from the analog inputs.
You should be hearing clicks from inside the DAC, as that is the relays being activated.

If you are hearing clicks from inside the DAC2 HGC, but not from your DAC1 HDR, that suggests to me that the DAC1 HDR does not use relays to physically isolate the analog and digital signal paths when the other is not in use.

May 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #194 of 247
that would make sense with some equipment. it is analog switching. the contacts just skip across. it is really designed to be used with pro audio power speakers. there, there is no problem I am aware of. if your preamp has a 12v trigger try using it. the very nature of it does not mute while switching.

anyways, this was great until newer,better dacs kept coming out. it is still very worthy to own. we still use dac 1's in the studio though. for one thing we need aes/ebu. the dac2 does sound better but it is unnecessary for recording purposes. this is not what goes on your media. we use them to listen to the mix while we are recording. for that dac1 is still best. save for now defunct lavry gold. 

May 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #195 of 247
Hm, speakers you say?

What kind of amp are you using with them?
Does it have some form for input sensing?
Are you using the 12V trigger?

Nope, I have two mono power amps fed directly from the DAC2 and they are permanently on, no switching.  And they didn't make these noises with the DAC1 either.  It's definitely the DAC2 is the culprit, and others have commented on it as well. It's a bit crap to be honest.  I don't know if they (benchmark) have improved the later versions - they should do!  But mine is a very early version.

Sounds great, but as a "nice bit of kit", it fails badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back