A nice new DAC2 from Benchmark showing at RMAF
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 247
Wow that looks awesome, though I'd wish it didn't have the headphone outs...

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 247
What DAC chip does it use?

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 247
Actually, Benchmark HPAs tend to be very very good amps so buyers won't be disappointed even if they are just buying the DAC2. Anyway, to better the performance of the DAC1, the DAC2 has to support a 32 bit chip with better than -105 to -110 dbFS THD+N which leaves AKM, Wolfson and Analog Devices in the dust. Common sense says its a ES9018 or ES9008, but why bother with 9008 when you have the 9018? So its a 9018 I think as none of the DSD input chips from other manufacturers can meet the performance Benchmark demands. How it translates to hearing, that is another story.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 247
What I meant is that most people have their own amps and wouldn't need another built in amp. It could be cheaper with less features too!

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 247
Quote:
What I meant is that most people have their own amps and wouldn't need another built in amp. It could be cheaper with less features too!

It's mostly for the pro market, that's the reason for the dual headamp output.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 247
This is a dream product come true for me.  Can't wait to get my hands on one!  World class headphone amp and DAC with preamp features and a remote.  Sweet!

Bill

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 247
Impressive, when it comes to features this has everything I want. My only complaint is the look/design of the thing, I know I'm being superficial but the DAC2 doesn't look like a $2000 device. When it comes to my desktop setup, I want something that not only sounds good but that I can also feast my eyes on. However I realize that this device is mainly targeted at the studio/professional market, where it is more important that you have rack-mounts, than for example shiny aluminum feet.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 247
Waiting, hope someone from HF tries it lol. Competes directly with the Mytek Digital unit since they are both professional dacs with the Mytek costing about 300 bucks cheaper. The Mytek has filter selection as well. Benchmark is really riding on setting benchmark performance for the DAC2 lol.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 247
Quote:
Impressive, when it comes to features this has everything I want. My only complaint is the look/design of the thing, I know I'm being superficial but the DAC2 doesn't look like a $2000 device. When it comes to my desktop setup, I want something that not only sounds good but that I can also feast my eyes on. However I realize that this device is mainly targeted at the studio/professional market, where it is more important that you have rack-mounts, than for example shiny aluminum feet.

I was sort of thinking that...

I have nothing against the way it looks overall (I rather like it), but they say it has "sample rate and bit depth" display.
Since it has the same few LEDs as previous models, and I only see four of them for "sample rate",
if they cover all the rates, then either they light in multiples, or they blink codes (maybe two blinks of 44 for 88),
or even light in multiple colors. The point is that I HATE trying to remember how to decode blinking LEDs or multiple lit LEDs.
(And I don't think I'd like it any more in a studio - I would hardly call that info "clearly displayed".)
They really could have fit in a few more smaller LEDs, or a small numeric display.

I have a DAC-1 Pre and I've always felt that "display capabilities" was its weak point,
so I really wish they'd have put a real display on the new one.
(Just try to see WHICH of those little LEDs is lit from across the room...)

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 247
Quote:

I was sort of thinking that...

I have nothing against the way it looks overall (I rather like it), but they say it has "sample rate and bit depth" display.
Since it has the same few LEDs as previous models, and I only see four of them for "sample rate",
if they cover all the rates, then either they light in multiples, or they blink codes (maybe two blinks of 44 for 88),
or even light in multiple colors. The point is that I HATE trying to remember how to decode blinking LEDs or multiple lit LEDs.
(And I don't think I'd like it any more in a studio - I would hardly call that info "clearly displayed".)
They really could have fit in a few more smaller LEDs, or a small numeric display.

I have a DAC-1 Pre and I've always felt that "display capabilities" was its weak point,
so I really wish they'd have put a real display on the new one.
(Just try to see WHICH of those little LEDs is lit from across the room...)

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 247
Like kLevkoff, I'm not a fan of the blinking LED displays in the the newer Benchmark DACs I've owned (DAC-1 PRE and the HDR).

I recently e-mailed Benchmark to ask these questions about their new DAC-2:

"Are you using the same headphone amp circuit as in the DAC1 series? Also, do the LEDs flash continuously when the digital signal is not locked in? (That behavior of the HDR was hard for me to live with.)"

Benchmark kindly replied as follows:

"For the headphone outputs, we are using the same HPA2 headphone amp as in the DAC1 series. Thanks for the feedback about the LEDs. Currently they go out after 5 minutes."

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 247
So...the amp isn't very good. Well that doesn't matter for me luckily!

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 247
Quote:
So...the amp isn't very good. Well that doesn't matter for me luckily!

The benchmark headphone amp is excellent. It measures beyond reproach. Some find it a bit bright or clinical, but I don't agree. I sometimes prefer a more relaxed tube sound with headphones, but also enjoy the DAC-1's headphone amp and listen to it frequently.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 247
RE the Benchmark headphone amp -- "Some find it a bit bright or clinical" -- yep, that includes me. Never could listen for very long through the Benchmark's headphone output. It might have been correct according to measurements, but it was, to my ears at least, quickly fatiguing in actual use (driving either Senn 650 or AKG 702).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back